Don’t lose your numberplate in France! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We stopped for lunch today, and a French MHer pointed out we’d got no front numberplate. He said if the police had seen us it would be a hefty fine! The plate is presumably somewhere between Châtellerault and Bordeaux.

But getting a numberplate in France is easier said than done - we’ve been to a number of places and so far as we can see:
-most plates in France, as in the UK, are plastic. But the programme used to create them expects a certain pattern (2 letters, up to 3 numbers, 2 letters) and repeated attempts failed to get our full number in, only accepting 2 letters of the final part.
-aluminium plates are still available and are made by hand, offering more flexibility. But our registration number includes a letter which is apparently not used in France, U - I suggested using an inverted J and a normal J together, but this wouldn’t fit on the spacing jig apparently.

We’ve managed to cut out the digits from black plastic, and in the morning will get some white tape for background and clear to seal over the top.

Our dealer at home immediately agreed to send a new plate to our son, but we don’t know where we’ll be until early October to get it sent to us.

Anyone know if it’s any easier to get numberplates made up for a GB vehicle in Spain??!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought a bike plate once and they just gave me a yellow aluminium plate and the black stick on letters (floppy pvc plastic you could cut). Just a thought if you see a motorcycle shop, would be yellow too, cool :cool:

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
@Solwaybuggier get one of these :D

20180824_171909.png

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I bought a bike plate once and they just gave me a yellow aluminium plate and the black stick on letters (floppy pvc plastic you could cut). Just a thought if you see a motorcycle shop, would be yellow too, cool :cool:
The places we went to all seemed in fear of such an approach - we did ask if they had sticky plastic letters, but all we got was “c’est interdit, monsieur”!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But getting a numberplate in France is easier said than done - we’ve been to a numbe
Anyone know if it’s any easier to get numberplates made up for a GB vehicle in Spain??!
Shouldn't be a problem as you can have any arrangement up to 8 letters or numbers as long as you have a registration documents.
Plastic avail able now in reflective white.

The places we went to all seemed in fear of such an approach - we did ask if they had sticky plastic letters, but all we got was “c’est interdit, monsieur”!
Anything is better than nothing.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We stopped for lunch today, and a French MHer pointed out we’d got no front numberplate. He said if the police had seen us it would be a hefty fine! The plate is presumably somewhere between Châtellerault and Bordeaux.

But getting a numberplate in France is easier said than done - we’ve been to a number of places and so far as we can see:
-most plates in France, as in the UK, are plastic. But the programme used to create them expects a certain pattern (2 letters, up to 3 numbers, 2 letters) and repeated attempts failed to get our full number in, only accepting 2 letters of the final part.
-aluminium plates are still available and are made by hand, offering more flexibility. But our registration number includes a letter which is apparently not used in France, U - I suggested using an inverted J and a normal J together, but this wouldn’t fit on the spacing jig apparently.

We’ve managed to cut out the digits from black plastic, and in the morning will get some white tape for background and clear to seal over the top.

Our dealer at home immediately agreed to send a new plate to our son, but we don’t know where we’ll be until early October to get it sent to us.

On Line,,BUSBY.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Order off ebay as there are no requirements for paperwork etc and see if they will post down to a French / Spanish campsite for you.
May not be any help but i will be down in Benidorm in 2 weeks time, coming by car and could bring one down as a last resort.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Getting a plate here takes about 1wk and it can only be supplied by the equivalent of the DVLA, they cost around £50..... i lost one of ours off the car about 5 days before we were due to head out in the camper a couple of years ago:( no amount of pleading would get me a plate before we left so i printed my own and laminated it, even if i say so myself from 10m you can hardly tell the difference, least nobody over the next 2wks noticed we had some laminated cornflake box stuck to the back of the camper:D

The "replica" plate now sits inside a cupboard with other camper spares (wing mirror glass etc) as a just in case.....

I reckon the French camper was correct if he was referring to a French vehicle, for a foreign plated vehicle that obviously has little chance to replace it whilst on vacation i guess they'd be more understanding.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Order off ebay as there are no requirements for paperwork etc and see if they will post down to a French / Spanish campsite for you.
May not be any help but i will be down in Benidorm in 2 weeks time, coming by car and could bring one down as a last resort.(y)
Thanks - but we’re going through Western Spain to Portugal. Kind offer, though.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a light bar in the garage even though there is no trailer ( you never know I might need to tow a poor soul back to UK) I would nick that rear one and put it on the front.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A few years ago while in Spain I bought a bike rack for the back of the car and a trailer board, I’m fairly certain that I bought a blank yellow plate and the stick on letters and numbers from the car shop.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Every garage should have a bar, not necessarily light. Every motorhome (and aircraft!) needs the bar to be well-stocked, but light. :D

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I wouldn't worry. In the unlikely event of you being stopped just explain what you have said on here. Lost the plate, can't get another one until you are back in the UK. They will understand. I honestly don't think that there would be a problem, but if you are worried about it just make up a plate using white card and black tape or a felt tip pen and stick it in your windscreen.

Don't let worry spoil your holiday (y)

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I normally keep one rear plate in the moho for reserving my pitch when we leave for the day but will put a front one in as well now. Have about six sets from new vehicles over the years and my Moho reg is an additional letter ‘A’ at the beginning of the reg from my personal one on the car. I just buy the letters from Halfords and stick them on. Good luck getting a replacement. A stationers might help. Pretend you’re Italian :LOL:

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Number Plates in Gibraltar are the same colour as English plates and also the same font I would think this is your best bet to get one.
Cliff

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I wouldn't worry. In the unlikely event of you being stopped just explain what you have said on here. Lost the plate, can't get another one until you are back in the UK. They will understand. I honestly don't think that there would be a problem, but if you are worried about it just make up a plate using white card and black tape or a felt tip pen and stick it in your windscreen.

Don't let worry spoil your holiday (y)
Thanks for the reassurance - we hope to get plastic letters & numbers today on a white backing, and looking as though we may be able to get a “proper” plate in Spain on Monday.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Try one the big diy stores they do house number/letter stickers
like lecleric and some clear plastic
True blue peter style

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Find a vinyl signmaker shop, the sort that make graphics for vans like the one that stands on all Warners shows.. They will, and are able, to make whatever you want in minutes while you wait.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that

As you should not be on the road without one, could you stay where you are until your son can send it to you? Alternatively, pick a place a few days away from where you are and arrange for him to send it to a campsite there. You could try a stationary shop or photo shop . Get a photo of your plate ( you can “make” one online at a showplace website and make a screenshot) then get the stationary shop to print it and laminate it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Order off ebay as there are no requirements for paperwork etc

that used to be the case.. not any more..

EDIT>> IT has just ben pointed out to me (twice) that you can buy from Ebay sellers NOT based in the UK ie Ireland

I tried to buy one and they all require documents, and not copies

example .
Plates are made to comply with DVLA INF104 the following documents originals are required:

Please commit to purchase send order details and original documentation prior to paying for your order.

Documents to show entitlement to the registration number (ONE ONLY)

• The Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)
  • The New keeper’s details section (V5C/2) of the V5C
  • A Certificate of Entitlement (V750)
  • A Retention Document (V778)
  • A reminder to get vehicle tax or make a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) (V11) or (V11(NI))
  • A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)
  • A Number Plate Authorisation Certificate (V948/EV948) with an official DVLA stamp
  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator, lease company or hire company (the letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C, not the vehicle identification number.)

Documents to confirm your name and address (ONE ONLY)

• A driving licence, with or without a photo, whether or not it was issued in the United Kingdom
  • An electricity, gas, water or landline phone bill, council tax bill or Northern Ireland rates bill issued within the last six months
  • A bank or building society statement issued within the last six months
  • A national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the United Kingdom.

Documents to confirm your name only (ONE ONLY UNLESS DRIVERS LICENCE HAS CONFIRMED NAME AND ADDRESS ALREADY)

• A passport, whether or not it was issued in the United Kingdom
  • A debit card or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  • A police warrant card

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp

example .
Plates are made to comply with DVLA INF104 the following documents originals are required:

Please commit to purchase send order details and original documentation prior to paying for your order.

• A reminder to get vehicle tax or make a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) (V11) or (V11(NI))
  • A Number Plate Authorisation Certificate (V948/EV948) with an official DVLA stamp
  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator, lease company or hire company (the letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C, not the vehicle identification number.)

• A driving licence, with or without a photo, whether or not it was issued in the United Kingdom
  • An electricity, gas, water or landline phone bill, council tax bill or Northern Ireland rates bill issued within the last six months
  • A national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the United Kingdom.

Documents to confirm your name only (ONE ONLY UNLESS DRIVERS LICENCE HAS CONFIRMED NAME AND ADDRESS ALREADY)

• A police warrant card
Not here

http://www.platesforcars.co.uk/mobile/designer.php#numberplates

You can use this site to produce an image the print it as suggested in my previous post

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

example .

• A police warrant card

It's so easy to negate the knee jerk, not thought through legislation, that was supposed to thwart criminals and doesn't but just inconveniences us all. There are loads of numberplate makers with head offices outside the UK. Its not illegal to buy from them, they make road legal numberplates.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Be grateful that les flics do not insist that your plates are rivetted, not screwed or glued. . Perhaps I should suggest this to M Macron as a possible source of revenue?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
yes , outside the UK.. an Irish company..
So this company should be able to despatch to you in France - they have a 24 hr delivery service. Maybe get the address of your local bar?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Have a plate made up at a garage, minus the U, then make a U with black tape ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back