Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
We went to 6 motorhome shows and 2 retro shows this year and enjoyed them all. However my main gripe at the Motorhome shows is the sheer number of dogs around which in itself is not a problem but owners cannot seem to control even the smallest dog and insist on having them on long leads when walking around the show which trip people up.
A one show someone had allowed their dog to crap in front of a toilet block door which in the dark is not good to say the least.
I love dogs but some owners are not responsible and need training. Our friend was nearly tripped up by one small dog on a long lead and the owners said, sorry, shes blind and cannot see! to which my friend replied, but you're bloody not!!

Please keep your dogs on a short lead when in crowds.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Could not agree more re the leads..
Bout time they said dog on leads.... of no more than 1.5 metres ( same as in Spain seeing as Spain was mentioned )
With that simple rule it would stop 90% of the problems

We dislike ( a lot ) leaving Dillon in the van but only rarely would take him in to a show .. Might do it last thing when its quiet.
To my mind it is really unfair on the dogs, dragging them round in all those crowds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We went to 6 motorhome shows and 2 retro shows this year and enjoyed them all. However my main gripe at the Motorhome shows is the sheer number of dogs around which in itself is not a problem but owners cannot seem to control even the smallest dog and insist on having them on long leads when walking around the show which trip people up.
A one show someone had allowed their dog to crap in front of a toilet block door which in the dark is not good to say the least.
I love dogs but some owners are not responsible and need training. Our friend was nearly tripped up by one small dog on a long lead and the owners said, sorry, shes blind and cannot see! to which my friend replied, but you're bloody not!!

Please keep your dogs on a short lead when in crowds.
Those fishing line retractable leads should be banned..Dogs if they can't walk to heel should be on a very short leash..Used to walk six dogs and they didn't need leads.Why do people need to take dogs to shows or into towns and cities,,ours just loved the countryside like New Forest,lakes,Yorkshire Moors etc.We always when we had dogs based our holidays on wild remote places where they could all run free.BUSBY.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Those long retractable leads are a nightmare wherever they are, when we were having training for Poppy's fear aggression it wasn't her so much as all those dogs whose owners would say "he/she just wants to say hello" while standing far away.

Our trainer said that there have been cases of people losing fingers when an extending lead gets wrapped round the hand caught and the dog pulling. There is no control at all and people rely on an extending lead rather than proper dog training.

Shows are generally too tightly packed around the stalls area with people walking, mobility scooters, wheelchairs, small children in prams/buggies and adding dogs to the mix is just too much!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Those extendable leads want banning. They are a nuisance.

Dogs should be kept under close control on a short lead.
Banning at shows yes, but when used in a correct environment they are useful
For instance, yesterday we was in a park far from home.
By having Dillon on his extender ( its a looong one, 10 metres ) he still felt he could run around, and there was no chance he could disappear behind a bush and poo without me knowing,,, so no chance of a wild poo that some poor sod will find with a shoe !
We also use one ( shorter one ) when on dog friendly sites.
The handle is attached to a point just inside the van door so he has the freedom to wander in and out as far as the ends of the van but no further

They have their uses and they have their place, but shows and even pavements are not on the list of places

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
By having Dillon on his extender ( its a looong one, 10 metres ) he still felt he could run around, and there was no chance he could disappear behind a bush and poo without me knowing,,, so no chance of a wild poo that some poor sod will find with a shoe !
The handle is attached to a point just inside the van door so he has the freedom to wander in and out as far as the ends of the van but no further

They have their uses and they have their place, but shows and even pavements are not on the list of places
Yes, they have their place but not for use on a normal walk. We also use ours ( a wide tape one) attached to the van on site but never long enough to reach off our pitch. We also used it for our new rescue when we first got him, so he could wander about, until we were sure of his recall. The narrow ones are seriously dangerous and should be banned.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No bad dogs, just ignorant owners.
Holly’s early experiences plus her damaged leg, weak back and old age have made her nervous of dogs approaching her. The bigger the dog, the more scared she is. I immediately slip her lead over her head before we get near another dog, but still 90% of owners think it’s ok to let their dogs get frighteningly close to her.
Even a yellow bandana printed with “ nervous of other dogs” had no effect. I’m now thinking of a printed hi viz vest for me as I don’t think Holly will like a coat.
The instructions for motorhome shows and the like usually says dogs welcome on short leads. Just ignorant owners.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Those fishing line retractable leads should be banned..Dogs if they can't walk to heel should be on a very short leash..Used to walk six dogs and they didn't need leads.Why do people need to take dogs to shows or into towns and cities,,ours just loved the countryside like New Forest,lakes,Yorkshire Moors etc.We always when we had dogs based our holidays on wild remote places where they could all run free.BUSBY.
Some people live in cities and towns, that’s why their dogs are there.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015

As the owner of 3 dogs I have to say I disagree with you. You should have enough control of your dog (even off lead) to ensure that he doesn't disappear out of your sight to go to the toilet.

Training is key.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As the owner of 3 dogs I have to say I disagree with you. You should have enough control of your dog (even off lead) to ensure that he doesn't disappear out of your sight to go to the toilet.

Training is key.
What sort of dogs do you have ?

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp

Training is key.
That perfect world!
Can you tell me where it is?
As far as my dog is concerned , she's fantastic on recall but i wouldnt trust her off lead with livestock or water fowl.
All dogs are different like people , training or not.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
That perfect world!
Can you tell me where it is?
As far as my dog is concerned , she's fantastic on recall but i wouldnt trust her off lead with livestock or water fowl.
All dogs are different like people , training or not.

You sound like you have a well-trained dog. And rightly, you put your dog on the lead around livestock because dogs can be unpredictable. I do exactly the same.

My reply was in response to dogs disappearing out of sight to go to the toilet. And I stand by my comment that this wouldn't happen with the correct training.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
2 Border Collies and a Labrador. The moment they look like they are going to stray too far ahead a simple call of their names and 'here' and they are back by my side.
Our Alsatians, cross Alsatian collie, staffs and out and out bitza's have all been very good and would stay to heel at all times.. but ... Dillon is a working cocker, his parents are working farm ( gun ) dogs............ 99% of the time he behaves perfectly, but that 1% means that he spots a squirrel and the working side leaps to the fore... So for that reason, unless he is in a totally safe and known environment, he stay on a lead.. But Woman and I are no spring chooks so be sure he gets to run we use the long lead..but only in very open areas

Fortunately where we live is very rural ( and about 40 yards from the forest :) ) so when we are at home and walked he gets plenty of running free time. When we are away, unless there is a specific dog area he stays on the lead.

Ask anyone who trains cockers and the chances are they will say the same... They are an intelligent breed, loving, gentle and very faithful but like most working dogs they do seem to have a mind of their own sometimes

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Here we go - don't like something, let's ban it :RollEyes:.
After 6 shows etc, thought you might've learned what to expect :wink:.

Anyway, I agree short leads (some NT properties allow dogs on this basis) but the venue has to police it.
I also think dog owners should have to attend compulsory training before being given a licence to own a dog.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Here we go - don't like something, let's ban it :RollEyes:.
After 6 shows etc, thought you might've learned what to expect :wink:.

Anyway, I agree short leads (some NT properties allow dogs on this basis) but the venue has to police it.
I also think dog owners should have to attend compulsory training before being given a licence to own a dog.
Not just attend training but pass a test but it does have to be a practical test, which means they would need to have a dog first. The Kennel Club have a system for this that can be used by trainers who run classes but in some areas there aren’t any training classes. Our nearest now is 30 miles away. Some owners quite honestly are untrainable!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back