Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
IMG_2031.JPG
Cavapoo, doesn't moult. lovely temperament and smaller than a Cockapoo so takes up less room!
Susan & Fizz.jpg

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Non moulting dogs will require regular trips to groomers though, so you definitely need to factor in that expense.

Our dog (a collie type) moults only twice a year and it really is very manageable even in Moho. He dries very quickly after the rain. Non shedding dogs we look after for friends seem to stay wet a whole lot longer.

Nelson is a rescue who was picked up as a stray in Eire. Such a calm boy and adores the FUN Rallies.
He is not damaged, his only fault perhaps is that he doesnt like to be left in the MOHO alone. Perhaps if we’d had a second dog that may have been different but we dont want double the vet fees (extortionate) and double the pet insurance (daylight robbery).
Hes such an easy dog though and loves mixing with everyone and their dogs and loves the evening marquee entertainment too

So many puppies born in rescue so quite feasible for you to have the pup age you want and knowvthat you have also done a good deed and rescued.

Catherine
(Mrs Stagman)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I've had 3 Cocker Spaniels lovely natured dog, also had a Border Terrier who was one of the first dogs to go on the passport system. When he died aged nearly 16 his passport had to have extra pages. He was a great travelling companion and I would recommend one to anyone travelling in a motorhome. At the moment we have a Welsh Terrier, he doesn't moult and has really taken to the motorhome. Unfortunately its not a breed of dog that I would recommend as they have their own minds and sometimes let you know it. If you are familiar with terriers then you would be ok with a Welshie but be prepared. I love him to bits and he has loads and loads of personality. The dog I would always recommend to every potential owner is a Whippet. I look after several whippets for friends and they are so passive and quiet, never a problem. When two of them come to stay in our house it is like having two statues in front of the fire. From my experience the easiest dogs to look after. So there it is Border Terrier or Whippet.
26173936_10156071116807490_7428508170090378311_o.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Dont understand the obsession with non shedding. Dogs who dont shed usually need trimming periodically which is an extra cost and bother.
Our collies shed like mad but the major problem in the mh is dust and mud according to season. Hair brushes up easily.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does it have 2 anchoring points for them?

yes, It has an anchoring point on each side , it is suppled with a leash that clips to both anchoring points but they could be used for two dogs..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
246610F3-133B-411C-8642-1B5385B28C90.jpeg
One Springer, one Cocker.

They love the van and travelling with us.

They both shed everywhere. They get wet and muddy and don’t know how to wipe their feet and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dont understand the obsession with non shedding. Dogs who dont shed usually need trimming periodically which is an extra cost and bother.
Our collies shed like mad but the major problem in the mh is dust and mud according to season. Hair brushes up easily.

It's not an obsession.. it was advice for the OP from my own experience with a JRT .. .. not knocking anyone else choice.

Have you tried brushing up Jack Russell hair that gets everywhere.. when he shakes himself the short hair goes airborne and ends up everywhere.. in beds, on sofas, in cupboards. No amount of brushing gets it off. It requires vacuuming and even then it takes ages.

His short wiry hair that is nearly impossible to get off of fabrics.. it seems to hook onto anything..

Cairn Terrier is low moult.. different story, no problem, minimal hair to sweep up.. and I clip her short once a year.. no cost and no bother.
In saying all that I wouldn't be without him.. he's a great little dog that loves travelling.. and an ace alarm dog .. the Cairn would just lick people to death.

DSCN0263.jpg

DSCF1191-001.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
That is one issue with the cavapoo/cockerpoo
Need to keep on top of grooming to prevent matting. Our cavapoo seems worse than the cavalier king Charles we had probably the poodle in her.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We have a large Golden Lab. He takes up a lot of space and is with us 24/7 and we would not change that. Obviously, a smaller dog may appear to be a better choice for Motorhome travel but we wanted a Lab. Further, we spend much more time at home that we do away in the Moho so having a large dog is no problem for us. My advice is that if you can't dedicate the majority of your time to your dog then don't do it. They never grow up and will always need their "mum and dad". I wish you well with your choice (y)

Monty doesn't like the harness

upload_2018-4-2_7-25-31.png

upload_2018-4-2_7-24-42.png

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Not all cockerpoo or labradoodles etc are non shedding I think it depends on the mix.
Get a short haired type and use a stripping comb and brush regularly and a good hoover like the Dyson Animal or similar.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I cut her myself. Very very easy and even if I make a mess, it's like a bad haircut...looks OK after a week.
No shedding dog hair ....perfect!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We bought our Bichon/Caniche in 2005 from a rescue centre nearby and he is still going strong. The MH came along in 2016 and it never occurred to us that Popsie (daft name for a dog, even one with no bits, but we did not name him) would not settle immediately into his new life and he did. We take his bed from home and he curls up and sleeps as soon as we are on the move

Dogs are in someways like children, always seeming to want something, but IMHO are more grateful and far, far cheaper.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Another vote for the yellow Lab. We got Poppy as a pup and she has travelled happily to all points from Southern Portugal to Northern Norway without a problem. Since my partner died in 2014 Poppy has been my constant companion and I wouldn't dream of traveling without her. What I would avoid is a dog like the third picture, which was obviously reassembled incorrectly last time at the vet.

OP
OP
M

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Many thanks for all the advice and recommendations. It's obviously not a decision to be taken lightly so we are grateful to hear of the 'negative' sides of dog ownership as well as the positives. Any dog we get will be with us 24/7 so it's interesting to realise the restrictions that having one may place on us when visiting places that do not allow dogs. It seems they don't mind travelling which is good to know. We'll continue to do our homework before committing to what will be a life-changing decision!

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Many thanks for all the advice and recommendations. It's obviously not a decision to be taken lightly so we are grateful to hear of the 'negative' sides of dog ownership as well as the positives. Any dog we get will be with us 24/7 so it's interesting to realise the restrictions that having one may place on us when visiting places that do not allow dogs. It seems they don't mind travelling which is good to know. We'll continue to do our homework before committing to what will be a life-changing decision!
Good decision . Dogs are tying .......delightful....bring lots of joy...keep you fit and are wonderful companions....but very very tying!....and whatever you choose will be with you for long time! So, a big commitment.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what ever you choose, be wary of getting a golden retriever. so many of their owners go blind. you see them everywhere

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ours is a West Highland White Terrier - to give him his full breed name. We chose him because Bren has always wanted a Westie - but I used to be allergic to dogs and was warned to avoid any breed that moults. I'm fine with the Westie and accept the periodical expense of having him clipped. He still does shed hair a little but that is easily cleaned up.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We took our Cairn to be 'clipped' by a professional thinking it would be the best .. all she did was clip to a No4 all over..cost us £35

That was the first and last time.. bought Wahl Pet Clippers.. it's an easy job. unless of course you want something fancy for a show dog.. no more £35 hair cuts .. that was 6 years ago.. just looked at a recent price list, they now charge £45 - £50. I'm in the wrong trade.

Reactions: Sue

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby used to clip Midge (a cross Westie/JR) and once did a Mohican on his back ... Midge was NOT impressed! :D2

Jan 1, 2018
Stowmarket Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
ex Tugger
Not sure if I would get another retriever when I get another dog, I used to get enough hair off this old boy to knit another one every week.
He is sadly missed, they do become a very big part of your life and you have to make a lot of sacrifices for them.:(

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
This is teddy our shih-tzu, loves going in the m/home and a great companion
Cheers, Dave(y)
Photo-0030.jpg

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It’s not a sacrifice it’s a lifestyle choice.

OP
OP
M

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We have decided to travel this year with a 'virtual' dog. We will imagine having a dog with us to see for ourselves how it might impact on our routine. It may not be an exact science but we will see for ourselves how we get on when we visit EH & NT places, etc.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I think that will definitely be a no then, as you will see all the negatives and non of the positives.
Remember a dog brings joy...how do you recreate that in virtual world? .and what about the love a dog shows to its owner ...and energy ...and pleasure. I think if it's the fact that a dog will stop you doing things then you would probably be best not to get one..as they definitely DO stop you doing things.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I think that will definitely be a no then, as you will see all the negatives and non of the positives.
Remember a dog brings joy...how do you recreate that in virtual world? .and what about the love a dog shows to its owner ...and energy ...and pleasure. I think if it's the fact that a dog will stop you doing things then you would probably be best not to get one..as they definitely DO stop you doing things.

A wheelchair stops you doing a lot more!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back