Dog advice please (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry, I'm confused..... does @Molls-Phot ....MO ....use a wheelchair?

Not as far as I know.....but my husband does, so was just saying that the wheelchair puts a stop to more things than a dog does. Going on a beach for instance, any place with steps, cobbles, etc.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think that will definitely be a no then, as you will see all the negatives and non of the positives.
Remember a dog brings joy...how do you recreate that in virtual world? .and what about the love a dog shows to its owner ...and energy ...and pleasure. I think if it's the fact that a dog will stop you doing things then you would probably be best not to get one..as they definitely DO stop you doing things.

I think this reply is spot on. :D

Reactions: Sue

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not so sure Kerry has actually stopped me doing anything... certainly her needs & wants come into consideration but offhand I can't think of anything.
I liked going to NT properties, and still do. The only difference now is that I take her for a bit of a walk in the grounds first, then she is happy to be in the van for an hour or so whilst I look around the house or whatever.
I like going to pubs, so I now go to dog friendly ones.
I still go on holiday, but that just means a bit more expense on either kennels or dog sitter.

Certainly she has motivated me to get out & explore a lot more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sadly I think I agree with Sue and Southdowners. Now that he's 3 years old we wouldn't part with him for the world. But to be completely honest if I'd known then what I know now, the decision might have been different.

If in doubt, don't. A virtual dog cannot give you any idea of the consequences of dog ownership.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
2B6BA046-EA6A-49C2-8AF6-C37F265347CB.jpeg
7F33AC17-E849-4F2F-9836-CECFA17BD248.jpeg
Wouldn’t change them for anything come away every weekend with us, pain in the Harris at 7 in the morning especially last weekend in Buxton wanting to go out, luckily the wife comes as well.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you have a mix of MoHo holidays and flying abroad type holidays.
Then a dog will have to be catered for ie kennels etc.
If it’s just MoHo then I don’t see a problem.
Our Patterdale is with us every moho trip.
She’s used to being caged, even overnight so 3 to 4 hours is not an issue for her.

We arnt big beach dwellers so that’s not an issue for us.
It seems a lot of shops and cafes are happy to accommodate dogs these days as well.

Good luck on what you choose to do.

10ED757A-D8F8-4C5E-B7FF-146B621C4A54.jpeg

chanter3841

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
since 1971
I have Chinese crested who I rescued as a puppy, he travels everywhere with me, he knows that somewhere in the journey he will have a fun walk, he is happy to saty in the van on his own, at night he is best alarm I could have, being retired I walk more now than I have ever done, and get to see places I never would have, best thing I have ever taken on

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Buy a Saint Bernard. If you need a tug they should do the trick. (Joke). My German Shepherd is fantastic. While traveling through Bristol one weekend a cyclist banged repeatably on on the passenger glass saying I was too close to the cycle lane(over a foot away). Zeus my dog launched himself at the bloke luckily stopped by the glass and the idiot fell flat on the pavement. the police were 20yards away, saw the whole thing and tore the cyclist of a strip.:giggler::roflmto::cycle::devil:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We have Harry (black schnoodle [schnauzer/poodle cross]) and Poppy (border terrier) shown in the avatar.

We knew all about trimming and shedding from our previous dogs - Harry is trimmed every 8 weeks and Poppy has a very careful trim every 16 weeks - she should be stripped but her coat got very long and dropped hair a lot before we got to stripping time plus she was far too hot in the summer as a dog who sunbathes every time the sun comes out! A careful trim to take her coat down to the length of the undercoat but not cutting into it at all.

Small dogs are easier to deal with I think, we don't have a van yet and won't until next year but will then do UK trips with them, however we will kennel for the European trips. They love going in the car and are very happy together in kennels.

Love them to bits, but you do have to factor in the time and expense involved; it may be pouring with rain or howling a gale but they still need to be walked... you have to factor in accidents with cost and time for recovery - Poppy broke her paw at 5 months old, a lot of time on crate rest and big cost involved due to having to have pins put into a tiny puppy paw for the 4 broken bones... but I wouldn't swap them for the world and the pleasure we get from them easily outweigh any negatives, inconveniences etc.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
029.JPG
039.JPG
007.JPG
We used to travel with Jess a Bull Mastiff, and then we got Skye a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - our little and large rescue dogs. Since we lost Jess we just travel about with Skye, but when she goes we will definitely have another rescue furry child.
And I'm sure that Haganap will be along to tell you that they don't have to be small dogs as they travel with 2 Newfoundland (big and very hairy)

Last edited:

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Having traveled solo, extensively for years, i was un prepared for travelling with a dog, the sacrifices i would have to make not only socially, but time wise, and living wise in the van, and having to consider another person in my life. My dog is a person of sorts, as he has needs. I dont regret it at all, but you do have to accept that there is a limit to what you can do socially with your life, if you have a dog. Even going to a shop can be difficult, if you are single.

COUPLES NEED NOT READ FURTHER, AS YOU GOT IT SORTED.
But some people seem to cope well with all of this, but i never seemed to cope nor did my experienced travel buddy or others i met along my travels ALL solo. It was can you look after my dog while...........
I didnt want to leave my dog alone for 2 to 3 hrs while i went to chess, scrabble or games nights anywhere along the south coast. Will he bark, no, will he be lonely, yes. Bang went my social life. I wouldnt leave my dog in the van, when i went to church on sun or bible study on tues and thurs,..... bang goes another part of my social life. My dog was lonely without me. I couldnt leave him. Eating out is difficult,with my son, almost no one accepts dogs. Bang goes dinners with my son, Going to the beach is difficult......i live for the beach.......and summer, but my dog is not welcome or he dont like the heat. So im left in the lay by, blinds drawn, silver screens in place, dog happy, me not happy. Im now wild camping with a sea view.?
But i love my dog, who will not leave the van in the heat. So i cuddle up with my archie, and switch my kindle on. I cant see the sea view, cause i got to think of my dog s comfort, everything is closed. Lots of love, genuine love i dont have to question

I dont regret travelling with my then new dog, (still got) and did ask for help as to how to do things. Some people gave me neg feedback saying i shouldnt have a dog while travelling, cause i wasnt coping, others gave me encouragement about how i could change/ or cope with the situation.
These were some of my concerns/ trouble i was having, and the positive feed back i got.

I had a converted van, and in summer its very hot in the van. But my dog definitely did not want to go outside the van, as that was hot as well, he doesnt even walk in the heat. ! Someone said i should get that cooling pad, put in fridge, and dog sits on it. Great it worked. A happy dog, and me happy seeing him not panting. But he still wouldnt leave the van in summer as it was hotter outside than inside the van. I did wonder if the pavement was too hot for him. Some people, especially if i think men are involved, dont stress so much, about leaving the dog alone, so cope better, with their social life.
Put it this way, i doubt a man will accept that the dog is sleeping on the bed, and will be woken up if sex happened. I think the man will say dog outside, whatever.!

Close all curtains, and put up those silver screen things. Wow..........the van was so cool, those silver screens definitely work. That definitely made a major change the indoor temp. Dog happy , me kind of happy..........i cant see the scenery. Im wild camping and i cant see outside.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We have 2 standard poodles and we take them everywhere with us, which last year included a tour of Italy, Greece,Bulgaria & Romania. They're great companions and do not stop us from doing or going whatever we please.

Pisa.jpg

Pete

Major Tom

Free Member
Aug 30, 2017
Marchwood
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67
Exp
I'm a newbie
After many years of wanting a dog, we have decided that now is the right time to get one. We spend quite a few months a year travelling in the van and appreciate that such a lifestyle will take some getting used to for both us and the dog.

So now the research begins. We are thinking a medium size, short haired one would be best for us, and will probably get it as a puppy.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we start our search.

aawallet

Free Member
Oct 5, 2010
Danbury, Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
After many years of wanting a dog, we have decided that now is the right time to get one. We spend quite a few months a year travelling in the van and appreciate that such a lifestyle will take some getting used to for both us and the dog.

So now the research begins. We are thinking a medium size, short haired one would be best for us, and will probably get it as a puppy.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we start our search.
I would or get a crossbreed. Try looking at a miniature snauzer

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
get a cross breed, preferably one that has genes in him/her that does not moult as much (they all still do a bit). We have had dogs for over fifty years, and much as we love pedigrees, they have always been the most expensive vetwise, so it's bitzas for us now!

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
get a cross breed, preferably one that has genes in him/her that does not moult as much (they all still do a bit). We have had dogs for over fifty years, and much as we love pedigrees, they have always been the most expensive vetwise, so it's bitzas for us now!
Not sure they all do moult. Our cocker spaniel/poodle cross does not moult at all. I cut her once a month (I do it...I prefer her to look shaggy rather than groomed) and it’s brilliant ...compared to my friends jack russell., we have no dog hair in the house or the van.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Your dog is gorgeous, we've got a white cavachon who looks similar. We hadn't been looking for a dog and my wife got Tuppence as a mothers day gift and wouldn't be without him. In fact we wouldn't be owners of a MH if we hadn't got him, so he's been life changing:)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I cut her myself. Very very easy and even if I make a mess, it's like a bad haircut...looks OK after a week.
No shedding dog hair ....perfect!
SNAP! :)

Reactions: Sue
D

DM14742

Deleted User
I would suggest that a small to medium sized dog is most suitable although we have a Labrador and have managed fine with him.
If possible try and find out if the Dam and Sire of any prospective Puppy like travelling, I have a friend with a Border Collie and he has a phobia about the car to the point that they can't go anywhere with him!
The downside to small dogs and no offence intended to small dog owners is that many are on permanent yap alert and it would drive my crazy putting up with that 24/7.
My choice would be a Pug, small, easy to maintain and keep clean but generally much more laid back than other breeds of a similar size.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We've 2 cairn terriers. Harvey snoozing with his teddy last weekend at camperfest Chester rally Tilly enjoying the little bit of sunshine we had. Both so different in character but bot lovely in their own way. Great travelling companions and a good size for the van. We've had lots of dogs over the years and found that when you go and look they pick you. Good luck in your search and happy travelling companions

Bertha

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Bristol
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It’s such a joy watching these little ones grow and develop. They play now, explore and wrestle with each other. The little boy in the photos thinks he’s a baby elephant and mock charges slippers, chairs, kitchen roll, settees. He’s so brave.

The white and chocolate girl is very confident and is the first to explore new situations. She wasn’t phased by meeting Max, just went up to him and clouted him with her paw.....of course she missed, but the intent was clear!

And the little chocolate girl is the quiet one. A little shy, but loves a cuddle and enjoys following the others once she’s sure it’s safe. She’s got a chocolate thick glossy coat, with ripples in it and a haze of red.

Can you tell I love them all? All seven!

They make us laugh a lot. Hard work, but so enjoyable. My girl did us proud.

Feb 23, 2017
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
At a ripe old age In early retirement I’ve realised a life long ambition of having a black Labrador following the loss of our beautiful Cocker Spaniel Stan last August. Stan loved the motorhome life and I hoping our new girl Esme at 10 weeks will adapt just as well. Having got away with having larger dog this time I’ve convinced myself that a curled up Labrador takes up no more space that a stretched out Cocker ( no rude comments please!) although the wife is not buying this blarney of course. Our first trip out with Esme will follow her second course of injections and hopefully we shall be away in one of our two motorhomes (That’s another story ) by the end of this month or early into next. whilst I agree having a dog with you can be problematic at times the love and companionship you share together is the best you will ever experience and even the wife and I get on most of time....and that’s saying something!....only joking darling really. Here’s a few photos of Stan and Esme.

Attachments

• B8FCC6A0-3A6A-4F01-A4BF-0D7271C5684F.jpeg
    B8FCC6A0-3A6A-4F01-A4BF-0D7271C5684F.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 5FDA849E-0E11-4C51-943C-11015C3ED907.jpeg
    5FDA849E-0E11-4C51-943C-11015C3ED907.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 26

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just one thing to think about ... make sure you're not 'allergic' to having a dog ... I've had dogs since I got married 36 years ago, and haven't had any problems with dogs except one of our, Midge, who was a cross JR/Westie, his hair was much courser than any of our other dogs and it used to make my nose itch constantly if I happened to touch it after stroking him, even just having him sat on my nap could set me off ... haven't got a clue why but it never happened with any of our other dogs.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
My choice would be a Pug, small, easy to maintain and keep clean but generally much more laid back than other breeds of a similar size.

Buyer beware! We used to keep/breed Pugs, they shed hair 357 days a year, with fawn pugs having double coats who shed even more. So if your family has allergies then a Pug is not for you.

Pete

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Its actually the dander in dogs coats that cause allergies to some people ..not the hair itself!

Silvia

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Howse about an Old English Sheepdog, Train him to lie on your feet - so toastie !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back