Dodgy design on Motorhome ?? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You have your own and probably seen many at shows etc with what you consider dodgy poorly planned designs .
To kick it off at the Norfolk show on the Simpsons display I saw a Chausson coach built with drop down bed which drops half way down the habitation door, a real risky exit in an emergency at night.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... how about this which I saw a few years ago in a new expensive MH ...

chopped sink 1.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our first MH, the CI Carioca 656, had a point on the roof where water collected in a puddle instead of draining off. Guess where they decided to put a join in the edge trim and fix it with too short screws that rusted? Subject to a factory recall and a subsequent warranty claim. Needed fixing a third time a few years later, but fortunately the last fix worked.

On the current MH (Bessacarr) I'm generally happy with the design, but found it a little incredible to see all the leisure battery wiring and fuse blocks lying uncovered in a corner of the boot. I've since fixed an old IKEA wire storage basket over them to protect them from bike wheels etc. The other Swift design issue we had is a known one - the decorative perspex valance between the windscreen and the skylight will resonate under certain driving conditions. A dealer fix exists and should be pursued whilst still under warranty. The only other problem we had was the aluminium heat shield around the exhaust muffler got metal fatigue in the slipstream after about 2500 miles and one end of it nearly dropped off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
We went to view a new ford before we bought our present MH it was terrible design where two people could not pass as it had a narrow passage then when you wound down the electric bed could not get to habitation door and made it hard to get to cab.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Suicide habitation door...

I know it would block some of the window... and restrict window opening....

But when I am tearing along at 85 MPH.... and Judy is standing there making my coffee.....

How do you think I would feel if the door suddenly blew open and she got sucked out... :crying:

I would be furious that I had no Coffee... :wink:

P1090465 (600 x 450).jpg

That is my only gripe with our new van at the moment...(y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I missed this in July. Boy are you going to get it.​

JUDY, JUDY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our first van, a Carrioca 10, had the TV cabinet complete with slide out shelf and power/aerial sockets DIRECTLY above the dinette....the ONLY seating in the van.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Suicide habitation door...

I know it would block some of the window... and restrict window opening....

But when I am tearing along at 85 MPH.... and Judy is standing there making my coffee.....

How do you think I would feel if the door suddenly blew open and she got sucked out... :crying:

I would be furious that I had no Coffee... :wink:

View attachment 175693

That is my only gripe with our new van at the moment...(y)

Easily fixed.
Just drive it in reverse, problem solved..........

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oven/microwave - many have these at or above eye level, one slip and you are covered in something very hot and you can't visually check the cooking.

Ridiculous.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
My pet hate is the way that IH fit a normal caravan door into the probably welded up sliding door and replace the rear doors with a grp panel, and people pay 70k plus for this over designed rubbish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back