Do Most People Have Multiple Toilet Cassettes? (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Ruddy 3-day weekend. :rolleyes:
Despite many, many trips to the hotel's toilets, (and being out a lot) the dreaded red light on our thetford had activated by Sunday afternoon.
How on earth does everyone manage at those temporary holiday site meets/long weekends where they state 'own sanitation essential'?
Now I know that Dethleffs didn't build a spare shelf in the garage for nothing.:LOL:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Aaaah - it's the beer!
Could have gone very differently when I decided to try my first ever pint of IPA. It tasted of vinegar (bottom of barrel), but the barman was a quick worker, so I had a pint of something else in my hand before I could say 'fish and chips'.
One night on the beer equals two days loss of cassette space. Unless you spend it at the pub but you still lose one day with what you carry back unless you can find somewhere to empty out on the way back :)

Upvote 0

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I think its very rare for any camping area not to have some sort of emptying facility, even if its just a hole dug in he ground.
We also carry a small folding spade. In 25+ years of caravanning/motorhoming only 2 0r 3 times have I had to dig a suitable hole myself.
I think our cassette would probably be full after a couple of days and you have to remember, " the more urgent the need to empty the loo, the more probability of torrential rain"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I'm embarrassed to say I had to put a pint of amber nectar down the sink on our last morning, before the pub unlocked it's doors at 7. :whistle:
Upside of this thread is I've probably picked up enough tips to extend the life of my cassette by at least 50%, so will hang fire on spending on another one right away. (y)
OMG !!! Wait for the flack from the grey waste police !!!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
OMG !!! Wait for the flack from the grey waste police !!!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:
Hahaha!
Have brought the 'contaminated' grey waste back home now. Let's hope Anglian water never find out!
I reckon they'll be too busy trying to work out which sub species of the bird population to prosecute after I've washed all the bird crap off my van. :D

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we haven't a spare and regularly go on rallies without any other facilities - especially pubs! - for 5 days or so but there is always a cassette emptying hole in the ground of some sort, and there is always a fresh water tap of some sort.

When the red light is on on ours - it can go a while before you HAVE to empty it. It actually has quite a bit of further capacity before it will overflow the seals. I can't define the actual amount since I don't measure it LOL

eg if it's 2am, no prob, it will easily cope with our other overnight and tomorrow morning's offerings before Pierre needs to venture outside and deal with it. But I hasten to add - there are only the 2 of us.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a spare for our Autocruise Accent which was a C250 unfortunately our new van takes a C200 cassette so I'm now on the hunt for a spare for that.

If anyone is interesting in buying a little used C250 let me know ... it only has one wheel though as one of them fell off in the garage and is hiding in there somewhere and it's full of other 'stuff' at present so I can't get in to find it!!!! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you only poo in your cassette how on earth do you manage to get it all out - is there a special shovel or something, LOL!

One important point - ALWAYS let the other half know when you're about to empty the loo. We were on a rally once when one of the blokes didn't tell his wife and she needed a no 2 so she just went! Took him about an hour to clean it up!

Joe

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One important point - ALWAYS let the other half know when you're about to empty the loo. We were on a rally once when one of the blokes didn't tell his wife and she needed a no 2 so she just went! Took him about an hour to clean it up!

Joe
Been there done that back in our caravaning days, always make sure she knows nowadays.:D

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We put paper in the bin stopped using chemicals use bio washing stuff just spray toilet and the boys pee outside
where ever possible.
we have keys to lift a sour cover it wee need to but always manage to find public toilets to dump our poo
if in a remote location with woods dig a hole and burry it no harmful chemical's so no problem
bill

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If you only poo in your cassette how on earth do you manage to get it all out - is there a special shovel or something, LOL!

Joe
we were at the caravan centre once with the one of the grand children was thinking of tugging at the time looking round some second hand vans the childs very quite when we hers him granddad theirs no toilet paper in the toilet.
the sales man looking a bit miffed there no cassette in this one nether:Eeek::doh:

alls

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I've never been to a temporary holiday site , without an elsan. Even if it's just a manhole cover that you lift up yourself. Wild camping granted, you have to be a bit more resourceful . But THS or DA meets always have somewhere.
Own sanitation means you have to have your own loo. As they don't provide public toilets. Not no where to empty your loo cassette.
Well it has, when ever we've used them over the last 10/15 years anyway. There's 5 of us , we'll was, we never had a spare cassette.

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Not knocking Gibbon, it's a good idea, BUT, when I suggested that grey water could be put down a grid, a bunch of arsehole dogooders said it would lead to the end of the World, completely forgetting that when at home that's what happens ! What about washing vehicles with detergents etc. where the F do they think that grey water goes then !
Rant over, now waiting for the flack from the "dogooders ":reel:

I think I know what you mean but people tend to get less vocal about a bit of piddle.
After all, dogs , wild animals, farm animals pee & poo all over the place.
I would think every bloke on here wouldn't think twice about a crafty Pee outside when appropriate.
I certainly don't as long as it is definitely appropriate .

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not knocking Gibbon, it's a good idea, BUT, when I suggested that grey water could be put down a grid, a bunch of arsehole dogooders said it would lead to the end of the World, completely forgetting that when at home that's what happens ! What about washing vehicles with detergents etc. where the F do they think that grey water goes then !
Rant over, now waiting for the flack from the "dogooders ":reel:
well I might get plenty of flack I never shut my Gray water tap when wilding the only time I close it is on car parks or hard standing
the rest of the time its open when I empty it go's down the road gully
bill

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Used to dose the cassette with chemicals & water, use loads of water with rinse (more chemicals!) & buy "special" Thetford/Fiamma loo roll but no more! Now thanks to the info. on here we just pop a cheap bio laundry tablets down the loo into the cassette on first use, tiny fresh water flush (not much more than a spray) afterwards if just a wee as it's almost sterile after all, use cheapest supermarket loo roll, Happy Bowl if needed & a daily clean with a Parazone wipe & all good. Would consider binning the loo roll but only if just a wee :) Not tried the wee in a bottle method but sounds sensible although I won't be going off to the woods anytime soon with a shovel!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
we have a 120litre black tank and still carry a cassette just in case :D
At the old Peniscola car park Aire, we encountered a large RV emptying his 120 litres (or more) of black (!) water. No chemicals were used and fermentation was almost complete as it swilled around, quite near the drain. So whenever I think of people storing up their black material, I recall that my eyes physically watered. Just one cassette emptied well before the little warning light comes on suites us just fine. The idea of storing it up does not appeal.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Joe

HE cleaned it?????? She did it so she should have cleaned up.......

I am of the variety of human who sits for both and I do my share of cassette empty duties..... doesn't worry me now we don't use the "proper" chemicals as the smell of them makes me feel physically ill. Rule in our van is if you can smell it add another cap of bio liquid :) It might just be a mask for the smell but that's fine with me.

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
If anyone is thinking of a way to carry an extra cassette then Fiamma have a neat but rather expensive solution http://www.fiammastore.com/Caravan-...-Fittings/Fiamma-Porta-Kassett-Tank-Container . Another idea suggested on Fun forum is the cheaper option of a plastic box with lid in the garage.

Wow that is expensive!
I made a shelf for the back end of our van with aluminium checker plate and other bits I already had in the garage. You can't see it behind the spare wheel access flap.
Then I discovered that it & its weatherproof storage bag could sit nice & tight next to the spare wheel, which it now does. Doh!!!
I'm sure the shelf will come in handy for something one day:)

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It has been known...... small children especially :)
Haha, that takes me back (thread hijack alert!)

When our son was potty training he was so shocked at what came out of his bottom that he would puke having looked at it! Then as he puked he would lean forward, poo some more, look at the poo, puke some more.... and so on!!

Oh the joys of bringing up children! :eek::):)

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have always just used the one. We had a Motorhome with a black tank which had the option of decanting into a cassette. On the handover I was told open the valve count to ten and then close it and the cassette will be full. It soon became obvious that some people count to ten more slowly than others.
A couple of weeks ago we stayed at an aire and I spoke to the owner when I was paying and he advised there was nowhere to empty chemical toilets so I said I would check before we decided to stay or not. It caused much amusement for him and the other motorhomers on the aire when I opened the cassette looked inside and gave him the thumbs up and said "oui"

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Upvote 0