Do I need a tag (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
I have left it too late to order a Fulli tag in time for my trip next week but could get an Emovis tag in time. My plan is to get through France fairly quickly heading for Eastern Spain so dont mind using tolls but being a solo traveller with limited mobility I am concerned about using and paying for tolls via the passenger window, what are peoples experience of this?

With Emovis you need to buy a tag for France & another for Spain so double the expense but is it a good idea to just get France tag and avoid tolls in Spain.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Travelling solo I have had the Tag for many years and makes travelling through France a doddle, however, in Spain, which I visit far less than France, I shuffle across the passenger seat and take a ticket/pay that way, can sometimes be quite awkward. You have limited mobility so that may not be so easy at all and therefore I would say 'sod the expense' and get a toll for both countries. Spain still has two sections of toll roads on the Eastern side so if you are going South you will probably encounter them. Worth checking an update toll road map and you can decide how big an issue it is likely to be for you depending upon where you are going

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I gave up being concerned about a queue building whilst I get out to go round to collect a ticket or pay. So imho if its easier to get out and walk around do so.
Warning thread drift - In pre Euro days on my motorbike I had prepared for the final tollgate of my journey by collecting a selection of change to cover the toll, on placing the coins on the pay desk to operator swiftly swiped it all back out the window onto the ground. OK - off bike, gloves off collected the coins up and placed the exact amount on the desk once again. No words - waited until he counted up and opened the barrier at which point I remounted the bike put my gloves bid my farewells and rode off. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Aji

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
With the issues you mention I'd get a tag.

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
I gave up being concerned about a queue building whilst I get out to go round to collect a ticket or pay. So imho if its easier to get out and walk around do so.
Warning thread drift - In pre Euro days on my motorbike I had prepared for the final tollgate of my journey by collecting a selection of change to cover the toll, on placing the coins on the pay desk to operator swiftly swiped it all back out the window onto the ground. OK - off bike, gloves off collected the coins up and placed the exact amount on the desk once again. No words - waited until he counted up and opened the barrier at which point I remounted the bike put my gloves bid my farewells and rode off. :giggle:
That throws up another question, without a tag does one need a vanful of coins or can all tolls be paid with a revulot card or apple pay?

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That throws up another question, without a tag does one need a vanful of coins or can all tolls be paid with a revulot card or apple pay?
Yes. I now use a swipe card.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Our experience using cards is that you need more than one - strange things the toll booths in France, they seem partial to particular cards and you have no way of knowing until the card doesn't work and you quickly have to try another. On one trip we used four different cards on the same day.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
In our experience and we only have the Emovis tag it is much less hassle and you can drive through the 30km gates without even stopping as for Spain and Portugal we have never bothered with a tag as there are so few tolls.😊

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
We bought our "Bib 'n' Go" at a French autoroute services. Forget where now. It was perfectly straightforward transaction. DD on my Revolut card, in € so no excessive exchange rates.

Valid for France, Spain (where we use the AP7 weekly), Portugal and Italy

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have left it too late to order a Fulli tag in time for my trip next week but could get an Emovis tag in time. My plan is to get through France fairly quickly heading for Eastern Spain so dont mind using tolls but being a solo traveller with limited mobility I am concerned about using and paying for tolls via the passenger window, what are peoples experience of this?

With Emovis you need to buy a tag for France & another for Spain so double the expense but is it a good idea to just get France tag and avoid tolls in Spain.
Looking at the tittle of the thread I thought you had been a bad boy asking if you need a tag….and they normally come with a curfew and not good for being out and about 😆

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Cartagena westwards is tolled ... dunno how far OTTOMH
The operator of the two short sections between Torrevieja and San Javier have something like a 50 year licence. May not be that long, but it'll not end in my lifetime ..

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
On recent trips I think all the toll booths have just required a wave of a contactless card at them, often after putting in the ticket from the previous booth. Never tried to wave my phone at one to pay by Google Pay, I'd probably drop it

Our trip at Easter will be with a Fulli tag for the first time, as even waving a contactless card at the booth, whilst hanging out the passenger window, is still more difficult than it could be

Been a while since I've had to insert a card, and even longer since I've had to put cash in one.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our experience using cards is that you need more than one - strange things the toll booths in France, they seem partial to particular cards and you have no way of knowing until the card doesn't work and you quickly have to try another. On one trip we used four different cards on the same day.
We have never experienced this in France. We lived there for six months every year for 16 years, and still travel every year. It is not something we have heard of before.

Our Emovis TAG has always operated the Toll, even when on different company routes, except on one occasion where the battery in the TAG had failed. We called into a SANEF office who exchanged it for us.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We have never experienced this in France. We lived there for six months every year for 16 years, and still travel every year. It is not something we have heard of before.

Our Emovis TAG has always operated the Toll, even when on different company routes, except on one occasion where the battery in the TAG had failed. We called into a SANEF office who exchanged it for us.
Thanks. I've had no problem with the Emovis TAG - works a treat. Credit and debit cards on the other hand . . . .

Feb 6, 2018
Perth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 635
Exp
Since 2017
Travelling solo I have had the Tag for many years and makes travelling through France a doddle, however, in Spain, which I visit far less than France, I shuffle across the passenger seat and take a ticket/pay that way, can sometimes be quite awkward. You have limited mobility so that may not be so easy at all and therefore I would say 'sod the expense' and get a toll for both countries. Spain still has two sections of toll roads on the Eastern side so if you are going South you will probably encounter them. Worth checking an update toll road map and you can decide how big an issue it is likely to be for you depending upon where you are going

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks. I've had no problem with the Emovis TAG - works a treat. Credit and debit cards on the other hand . . . .
Thanks.

I misunderstood your original post. I’ve never tried using cards. Graduated directly from cash to TAG!🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back