Disappointing weekend (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
So sorry to hear about your disappointing weekend, we've had a few of those ourselves. We once viewed a van that we loved, agreed a price and returned home only to receive a phone call to say they weren't selling. Probably got a last minute better offer. We were shattered but ended up getting a much better deal, a van that was virtually brand new but not used and at a great price. I think you'll find that you will find something that is much better than the ones you've viewed. Good Luck and stay positive.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Chausson also offer similar models.
BTW 3500kg on a coachbuilt isn't sufficient for 4 people, a few accessories, 4 bikes and all the gear with water and gas.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We started our motorhoming journey many years and vans ago with a CI 5 Carrioca. Basically the same stable as the Rollerteam to what you describe.

I am sorry to say that you could be wasting your hard earned money. I have never known 1 yet that hasn't been damp to some degree. They are awfully constructed and as has been said the chances of getting a payload that is actually usable for your family is going to be really tight.
When we started motorhoming with the kids, forums like this were not around. I think back now to how we must have been so overloaded with 2 kids canoe on the roof, awning, bikes, you name it we had it!!! tours of France etc 1000s of miles with no issues.
But alas the CI succumbed to damp and had to go and we invested in an Adria 670 sk and even a 2009 one of these is in my opinion a far better buy than what you are looking at.

But best of luck with whatever you get.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I would start looking at dealers within a reasonable travelling distance of home with a good reputation for after sales service ,visit them tell them what you want and sit back and wait .

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Wish we had leather cleans off if red wine spilt;)
Anthea, it's good practice to recognise when you have had enough red wine and stop there. Then you wouldn't have to clean up afterwards!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Wish we had leather cleans off if red wine spilt;)
I
1a8e6d1645ad41961c17a9aaaddabdfa.jpg

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Anthea, it's good practice to recognise when you have had enough red wine and stop there. Then you wouldn't have to clean up afterwards!!!
We all know when we've had enough but stopping is a different matter
download_1.jpg

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
have a look on goodmans motorhomes website i bought my dethleffs sunlight from them and are very pleased with it They are mcrent motorhome rentals but are in good shape there phone number is 01992 713398 ask for ricky nice company to deal with and he has vans at 3 locations maybe something to suit you

OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
We looked at a few vans in the Midlands a couple of weeks ago. They had an AutoRoller, it was the only van we didn’t go inside, the smell coming out as soon as we opened the door put us off going any further.
It appeared to be a combination of damp and tomcat scent..........

Where about a was this - so we can strike off our list

OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
have a look on goodmans motorhomes website i bought my dethleffs sunlight from them and are very pleased with it They are mcrent motorhome rentals but are in good shape there phone number is 01992 713398 ask for ricky nice company to deal with and he has vans at 3 locations maybe something to suit you

Nothing available until September 2018

OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
Chausson also offer similar models.
BTW 3500kg on a coachbuilt isn't sufficient for 4 people, a few accessories, 4 bikes and all the gear with water and gas.

I’m sure this is asked enough, but how much exactly is enough? Ithe 707s we are looking at are quoted as having 590kg payload - I know to get weighbridged etc but it’s a minefield looking for a van so any advice on payloads to look for; I’m all ears

P.s we are limited to 3500kg and don’t want to do additional test just yet - need to see whether we like motorhome gonna first.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I’m sure this is asked enough, but how much exactly is enough? Ithe 707s we are looking at are quoted as having 590kg payload - I know to get weighbridged etc but it’s a minefield looking for a van so any advice on payloads to look for; I’m all ears

P.s we are limited to 3500kg and don’t want to do additional test just yet - need to see whether we like motorhome gonna first.
A very sensible approach. Basically, the payload point is.....err.... stretched a little by manufacturers and a few extras can really add up. Roller teams seem decently made vans so would keep looking. I think you’ve already worked out that payload and layout are the two things that really matter. Best of luck; the right van will turn up soon enough(y)

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I do not understand, how anyone can travel to Romford and be disappointed, you must have driven around Gallows corner, it is rumoured that alliens travelled millions of miles to hover over it, then returned home. The new icerink, swimming pool opened on saturday for the first time, its historical market, with honest real cockney market traders, oh well no accounting for what people want. I purchased a rollerteam from a hire company justgo, thay are cheaper motorhomes for the hire industry, but nothing wrong so far and have to say, with the deposits required when hiring, I would look after them if hiring rather than wrecking and losing deposit

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
sometimes on a limited budget. an older well-constructed van can be a better option than a newer more modern van.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
so we were hoping to purchase our van this weekend, we’d got it down to two that were for sale. So off we trundled to Romford early Saturday morning (3hr drive each way) - early start (6am) so I could get back for football (disappointment + 1 with the result).

The Van, a 2013 Auto-Roller 707 wasn’t quite right - alarm bells started ringing when the helpful chap started telling us everything that was wrong with it and spare parts they had in to repair it; bumper, decals, bed trim, bunk trim etc. It was an ex-rental so some scuffs, damage etc was expected - but then he pointed out damp in the roof where someone had tried to retrofit an aerial, and said it was now sealed but they were going to put a plate over the roof damage to protect it more - nope not the van for us.

Disappointment + 1 - now at level 2!

Off back home we went......

Excitement started kicking in for the van we were going to view on Sunday in Richmond, Yorkshire; a 2012 Auto-Roller 707 - ex rental again but looked well looked after. So, we get a message Saturday evening that no more viewings taking place as the van was now sold :-(. Dissapoinment + 1. Now at level 3 !!!

So Sunday morning comes and we are sat around eating breakfast - quick search on the internet and we find a 2014 Auto- Roller 707 at Webbs in Reading - we make a quick family decision and off we set back down South again. We get to Webbs and quickly find the van in the lot - we jump in and have a look around - first impressions were good. Then the tips from the ‘Motorhome Buyers Guide’ kick in and things start going down hill - the upholstery is not standard, floor has been sealed around the edges (not factory), spongy floor in some areas, black mould on the window blinds, 2 hidden dehumidifiers... the list goes on. Then SWMBO says ‘why are the colours different in the luton’...’eh?’ I respond. But sure enough they are different and it appears that a significant repair has been ‘attempted’ - joints not sealed, back mould present, wonky joints and mismatch of colours etc. Then we walk around outside and you can see where the Luton has been bent back into shape - still bend lines in the surfaces. So nope definitely not the van for us - will be a real shame if someone actually pays the asking price of £34950! I swear the buyers guide saved us here !! So disappointment + 1. Now at level 4, but, I feel like we dodged a very expensive mistake on the last one.

So back to the drawing board - otherwise known as search engines :). If anyone has a 2012+ 707 for sale let me know; but be warned I come armed with an excellent buyers guide and I’m not afraid to use it!!

P.s the beer I’m currently drinking has reset the disappointment counter significantly.

Sorry to hear your not having a good run at the moment, but well done for walking away if it doesn't feel right. The right one will come along soon. Then you can have a beer or two to celebrate rather than commiserate.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Have you anything against a private sale? You can always get engine and habitation checks done before purchase and you may find what you want at a better price. Autotrader is worth a look .

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We have the A366 Carado and I would choose it over the CI and Rollerteam. We have had it 5-6 yrs. Worth a look at! Or the similar ones by other German manufacturers.

OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
Have you anything against a private sale? You can always get engine and habitation checks done before purchase and you may find what you want at a better price. Autotrader is worth a look .

No absolutely nothing. !! We are on most classified sites every night Are there any other hidden gem sites I should be looking at?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

590kg is just about doable for 2, for 4 not enough. Need to bear in mind payload is quoted without any factory or dealer fitted extras which can easily lose you 200-300kg.
Our last van had 580kg & we are only 2 lightweights we ended up upgrading to 3850kg.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our first m/h was ex hire reliable no real problems and traded in for about 2 k less 3 years later. Just need to find the right one we are biased but would recommend a chausson

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
No I don't think it was a disappointing weekend it would have been much worse if you had bought one of them and found the problems later.
As you have looked at 3 of these vans and they have all been total crap, isn't it time to move on and look at some different vans.

Couldn’t agree more and suggest you look for German Manufacturers on your budget the MH might be a bit older but the quality will shine through and the residual value will be much better.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Slightly better weekend this weekend - we’ve bought a lovely 2014 Rollerteam 707. Thanks for all the advice etc on this thread.
Well done hope everything works out ok and you and your family enjoy your travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back