Disappointing weekend

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ashypants, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Ashypants

Ashypants Funster

Ratings:
    +88
    so we were hoping to purchase our van this weekend, we’d got it down to two that were for sale. So off we trundled to Romford early Saturday morning (3hr drive each way) - early start (6am) so I could get back for football (disappointment + 1 with the result).

The Van, a 2013 Auto-Roller 707 wasn’t quite right - alarm bells started ringing when the helpful chap started telling us everything that was wrong with it and spare parts they had in to repair it; bumper, decals, bed trim, bunk trim etc. It was an ex-rental so some scuffs, damage etc was expected - but then he pointed out damp in the roof where someone had tried to retrofit an aerial, and said it was now sealed but they were going to put a plate over the roof damage to protect it more - nope not the van for us.

Disappointment + 1 - now at level 2!

Off back home we went......

Excitement started kicking in for the van we were going to view on Sunday in Richmond, Yorkshire; a 2012 Auto-Roller 707 - ex rental again but looked well looked after. So, we get a message Saturday evening that no more viewings taking place as the van was now sold :-(. Dissapoinment + 1. Now at level 3 !!!

So Sunday morning comes and we are sat around eating breakfast - quick search on the internet and we find a 2014 Auto- Roller 707 at Webbs in Reading - we make a quick family decision and off we set back down South again. We get to Webbs and quickly find the van in the lot - we jump in and have a look around - first impressions were good. Then the tips from the ‘Motorhome Buyers Guide’ kick in and things start going down hill - the upholstery is not standard, floor has been sealed around the edges (not factory), spongy floor in some areas, black mould on the window blinds, 2 hidden dehumidifiers... the list goes on. Then SWMBO says ‘why are the colours different in the luton’...’eh?’ I respond. But sure enough they are different and it appears that a significant repair has been ‘attempted’ - joints not sealed, back mould present, wonky joints and mismatch of colours etc. Then we walk around outside and you can see where the Luton has been bent back into shape - still bend lines in the surfaces. So nope definitely not the van for us - will be a real shame if someone actually pays the asking price of £34950! I swear the buyers guide saved us here !! So disappointment + 1. Now at level 4, but, I feel like we dodged a very expensive mistake on the last one.

So back to the drawing board - otherwise known as search engines :). If anyone has a 2012+ 707 for sale let me know; but be warned I come armed with an excellent buyers guide and I’m not afraid to use it!!

P.s the beer I’m currently drinking has reset the disappointment counter significantly.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 24
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. icantremember

icantremember Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,009
    As you say, "a disappointing weekend" but at least you are learning to walk away if not the right vehicle .. well done.

Hope you find the right one very soon.

• Like it Like it x 7
  3. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +3,923
    Are the reasons for the poor vans because they are ex rental or because of the choice you have decided on, you mention damp in the floor, in the roof etc, does that not tell you something about the Auto Roller construction?
    Could the disappointments be a blessing in disguise with hindsight?

• Like it Like it x 15
  4. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Ratings:
    +2,280
    I feel for you......
    When we were looking, many a mile was put on the car looking.
    It’s got to feel and look right before you part with your “hard earned “
    Keep you chin up, you’ll get there in the end:)

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +87,898
    After hireing a rental before we bought we decide not to buy one they are cheaper but have no end of hammer from people who have never driven one before and who don’t really care about it.
    I hope you find your van very soon and glad you have the buyer beware help with Jim’s book!
    Good luck!

• Like it Like it x 6
  6. Ashypants

Ashypants Funster

Ratings:
    +88
    We are staying open minded at the moment - I think (and may be being naive) that they are just because they are ex rental. The 'one that got away' looked immaculate; which is probably why it sold very quickly. The other two were just not that well looked after.......it think.

7. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Ratings:
    +2,280
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Ashypants

Ashypants Funster

Ratings:
    +88
  9. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Ratings:
    +2,280
    It probably won’t be real leather, ideal for little rats, sorry, little darlings running amok:):):)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  10. Just smiffy

Just smiffy Funster

Ratings:
    +11,334
    I think this is telling you to not buy an Auto-Roller.....

• Like it Like it x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. icantremember

Ratings:
    +17,009
    I wouldn't let leather trim put you off .. Leather is very hard wearing and you could always fit covers if you are worried.

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Ratings:
    +21,071
    Well done ! @Ashypants bit of a steep learning curve , but you have learned "all that glitters is not gold"
    Well done!(y)

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Ratings:
    +2,280
    We insist on this when our grandtwat comes with us(not very often, as the dog wants to eat him, as I hide beef hula hoops in his pockets)
    42C263BB-EA40-4FB5-9550-A3458BFDFE60.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 19
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  14. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

wish we were at Soumeras Near Montendre 17130
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Hi local Funster

We did same as you last year but we ended up going a little closer to home as we found our Maxine at Oaktree near Ikea junction 26 be as alert as you seem to be but we got a BARGAIN there compared to lots of others around here

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  15. Podney

Podney Funster

Ratings:
    +3,181
    We looked at Autorollers when looking to buy our first van,but they didn’t seem as well made as some others. Fair enough....that was reflected in their price. I believe that you generally get what you pay for,but if you can find one in good nick at a good price with the right layout you then go for it.
    Good luck,there is always another one around the corner,take your time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +774
    Took us 3 months of serious looking to find our van. Almost 6 months prior to decide on what we actually wanted
    Several smelled of damp, several dirty and tatty. A few just felt wrong. Some just too damn expensive for what they were. We had our list cut down to 3 different Rapidos all similar layout. You will know she you find the right van for you. Just keep looking.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +87,898
    Wish we had leather cleans off if red wine spilt;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like it Like it x 3
  18. icantremember

Ratings:
    +17,009
    You shouldn't be so wasteful!:wine:

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. wingman

wingman Funster

Ratings:
    +4,190
    If I’d have known, you could have popped in for a cuppa and a rest!

I actually believe that, far disappointed, you’ve done it right! Imagine the disappointment if you had bought one of those ‘Joseph’s’.

Keep looking; the right van is out there.. good luck.

James

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +8,484
    Disappointing weekend, but it will save you much disappointment later.

• Like it Like it x 1