Diesel night heater.Battery (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Since 2015
Hi looking to buy ebersparcher D2 night heater for Renault camper.where I want to fit it is nearer MAIN cab battery .has anyone used this to power heaters or does it have to be leisure battery?mine is away at back of van and would need to strip out fridge etc to route cables.Split charging fitted but not sure if that makes any difference.
Any advice welcomed
Thanks

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Only thing is if you run the van battery low using the heater and can not start the van you’re stuck.

OP
OP
J
May 10, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Since 2015
Thought so but don’t know how much they draw from battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware of the power drain on diesel heaters, last thing you want is to drain your starter battery.
Leisure would be best.

This is an informative video i found. (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can’t help with power usage but it would be cheaper to buy the chinese diesel heater.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Power consumption shown as between 8 watts (low heat) and 22 watts (high heat). Current draw depends upon operating voltage (i.e. whether 12v or 24v).
See spec'n here:

OP
OP
J
May 10, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks but not too keen on Chinese versions as use a separate tank and not much space and concerned about smell.would prefer feed from main tank

OP
OP
J
May 10, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Since 2015
Do they come with fitting to connect to fuel supply?tee piece?Not keen on drilling into tank

OP
OP
J
May 10, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Since 2015
Great video thank didn’t realise how much they draw from battery.I could add another leisu battery and put one nearer heater but is there a maximum distance between the 2 linked leisure batteries ? Would maybe be about 3 feet apart or would that not work?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Great video thank didn’t realise how much they draw from battery.I could add another leisu battery and put one nearer heater but is there a maximum distance between the 2 linked leisure batteries ? Would maybe be about 3 feet apart or would that not work?
Further apart the thicker the cables

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I have eberspatcher night heaters on all my lorries and they will stop working when the battery voltage drops below 23 volts so I'm guessing the 12 volt versions have a similar safety cut out , could you not run the cables under the van along the chassis to the leisure batteries?

OP
OP
J
May 10, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Since 2015
I have eberspatcher night heaters on all my lorries and they will stop working when the battery voltage drops below 23 volts so I'm guessing the 12 volt versions have a similar safety cut out , could you not run the cables under the van along the chassis to the leisure batteries?
Suppose I could but now know what they draw would probably need to add extra leisure battery.Not too mechanical minded just want a heater to try some off grid and easiest way possible lol

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Suppose I could but now know what they draw would probably need to add extra leisure battery.Not too mechanical minded just want a heater to try some off grid and easiest way possible lol
If it's a normal Renault cab there is room under the passenger seat for another battery there, it's where iv put mine.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I've just fitted a BMV and watched the amps when I started my Chinese diesel heater. On start up it was about 9 amps and no higher for about two minutes or so, and then dropped right down to just a few amps. I didn't watch very closely on tick over because I got distracted by what I was actually doing. From memory on the research I did into them they should pull about an amp an hour on low or about 3 amps an hour on high.

Why not just run a cable from the leisure battery though? Running things off the starter battery is asking for trouble. They aren't designed for this sort of draining and if you go too low you'll be stranded because your van will not start. Makes more sense to me to use a leisure battery. Just run a cable to it. It shouldn't need to be too thick or expensive because, if it is like mine, it will be fused at 15 amps anyway.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you would be unwise to use the cab battery. Even if the electrical system charges the cab battery when on EHU or by solar the systems generally concentrate on the leisure batteries and treat the cab battery as a lower priority.

See if you can run the wires under the vehicle. This will mean drilling a couple of holes in the floor but this shouldn't be too hard.

If you go for the Eberspacher make sure you buy the silencers for both inlet and exhaust, they are accessories but essential if you want to sleep at night.

We have a similar Webasto heater. It takes about 2 amps when running but it doesn't run continually. On start up it takes up to about 7 amps for a minute or so. My guess is it takes between 20 and 30 Ah a day but more of course if it is very cold.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Not a good idea to T off the engine diesel feed. The Fiat plastic fuel tanks usually have an extra outlet coming out the top which is blanked off and is for night heaters.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Chance are you would have a pump in the fuel tank and teeing off fuel could have to much pressure in it and when engin not runni it may not be able to draw fuel through the stationary tank pump.
These are all my thoughts as I don’t know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back