LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are signs on some Belgian motorways to this effect.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
stands to reason really.

Set speed at 60 mph then start an accent and drop to a point cruise will downchange and accelerate hard to return to 60 mph..

Hard acceleration + wet surface = lack of traction.and control.

Using Cruise on wet roads needs extra awareness but any loss of grip will be regained and cruise cancelled with a dab of the brake pedal....a natural reaction in a skid/spin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If you let a mindless electronic devices drive your vehicle something is bound to happen
Drivers can react to a changing situation but the gizmo can't
I use mine all time on motorway and i must admit it caught me out a couple of times like when drinking coffee and talking on hands free

And yes I know you should not do it but who can say they have never done some thing similar

I think a lot of the problem is drivers don't look far enough in front most drivers are only aware of what's happening 2 seconds or so in front "I TRY" to be looking about 10 seconds in front as shows with my brake pad wear I can normally get about 40 thousand out of a set of front pads but some of our lads get about 25 thousand as they react late to braking hence more wear

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Hmm
Maybe the older vehicles which many have been retro fitted with cruise control then I can understand where you are coming from.
My Fiat Ducato has factory fitted cruise control and if it senses any loss of traction ie the traction control light comes on it instantly knocks off the cruise,
Problem sorted :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmm
Maybe the older vehicles which many have been retro fitted with cruise control then I can understand where you are coming from.
My Fiat Ducato has factory fitted cruise control and if it senses any loss of traction ie the traction control light comes on it instantly knocks off the cruise,
Problem sorted :thumb:

Sorry to disagree ( seems to be an afternoon for it ! ::bigsmile: ) but you are talking a totally different set up..
The OP and others refer specifically to automatic gearbox set ups.. To emphasise this, your manual box cannot automatically change down if it starts to struggle.. Your set up, like mine and many many others does require physical action to change gear :thumb:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having carefully read the snopes stuff, I must say I have rarely seen such squit on there ever before..

Peeps, if you know how traction controls work and know how diffs work, take a read and have a laugh !! :ROFLMAO:

Having said that the basic advice is sound even if the reasons suggested are in lah lah land !

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
cruise

rubbish I wont say no more don't want to up set any body:Doh:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting posts...... Still trying to figure out the physics but most UK roads are too crowded a lot of of the time to use cruise control safely anyway. I prefer to keep a safe distance from other vehicles and so only use cruise when traffic is sparse, in any of our vehicles. A bit different when there isn't much traffic around.

Never thought about the pros and cons of using cruise in the wet, though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmm.. I use and have used cruise just about all the time.. In fact in towns it is better to use it as I can keep my foot over the brake all the time.. cutting down stopping time as I do not have to move my foot from accelerator to brake

Having said that, in snow of very slippery conditions I would not use it, but rain ? Christ, the bloody van never goes fast enough to do anything unexpected !

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting point - I can see that, but don't think I'd do it myself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back