Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
QUOTE="fiferjim, post: 4146556, member: 62747"]
Update
A number of funsters suggested the hinges may be adjusted. Had another look but they still don't look adjustable to me which suggests the door is in the correct position, or am I missing something? Thanks again guys :)
[/QUOTE]

It looks to me like there may be a small amount of adjustment on the door part of the hinge. Where the hinge is cranked, there is a slight gap between it and the door's outer frame. Closing this gap will move the door further in, therefore tightening it on the seal. The hinge screws will be secured into a sliding metal plate set in the aluminium channel of the door ( you can just make out the plate in your second picture), depending on how tight a fit the plate is, there should be some movement available.
Since the top looks ok, I would slacken the lower hinge or hinges and see if you can close that gap.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Sorry in advance for taking advantage of your bad luck but this seems another example of the much vaunted build quality of 'premium' German m/hs
After 5 years and many touring miles in our Burstner we feel blessed that we have only experienced minor problems compared to many others. Would definitely buy another if we ever decided to part with DorisTG which is extremely unlikely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Worth a punt! I appreciate the heads up. Do you happen to know what the deflector is exactly or where to get it? Ta
It’s a Fiamma accessory, Johns cross, Caravans will mail you a roll, as I remember it was £33 for a 3metre length including postage, it has self adhesive strip on it to fix, it sticks well too, just warm I up in the sun or warm water to make it more pliable

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
2001 MB Sprinter Hymer B680,
door catches incorrectly placed, by Hymer. The door catch protrudes within the opening space, several times I've caught and gouged my arm and ended up with scars.
The first two pics are the "drivers door - RHD"
The next two are the "passenger door"

P1360546.JPG
P1360547.JPG
P1360548.JPG
P1360549.JPG

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
We also own a Hymer b 680 but ours have spring covers to stop you catching yourselves on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_160622.jpg
    IMG_20201108_160622.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201108_160723.jpg
    IMG_20201108_160723.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 46
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Cheers KUSKUS, no real need to ask, but I suppose that they were fitted when you brought it ?

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
bigalw35 - that's not good, no wonder you catch your arm on it!

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Yes 2006 model 680 , must have done a modification to original specification.
It only screws over the top of the existing fitting perhaps you could get it from Brownhills at Newark ask Darren he would know.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Daren and I are quite good mates (over the years) I’ll email him later, but I think it’s a slim chance, cheers KUSKUS
Cheers 🍻
AL

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
these pictures show the door catch on my EuraMobil, 2009 with a Hartal door, you will notice that the two bolts protruding on the door are inboard of the door edge so unlikely to be caught as you enter or exit. The images also show the type of exterior handle and the frame catch plate. Much more substantial than I have seen previously on caravans, even the German one I owned.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Suspected leaky hab door update.

First, apologies for the long post and I understand anyone not reading, but hope to have provided all detail so holes can be picked in my conclusions and possible solution!

Taking all the great advice, thank you, I visited the van to do more examination and try a few things. The hinges are fixed to the body and do adjust so no means to move door sideways or up and down, pic 1. The only adjustment is on the catch which governs the tightness of closed door and not only is it at its max, pic 2, the door has already to be slammed hard to get it to shut fully.

Given that there's a light of almost the same width as the hab door immediately above it and above that the awning which is sealed to the bodywork, pic 3, I don't think fitting a gutter channel would do much as the amount of water that could possibly run down on to hab door must be small.

I tried the 'paper test' by slamming the door shut on a sheet of paper and could reasonably easily pull/move the paper, the most difficult being at the bottom of the door (no doubt because of the metal protector strip). Interestingly the same test on the cab doors gave the same result. Another suggestion was to spray Teflon on the rubber seals. I only had silicon spray and it made no difference to the paper test. Can't see why Teflon would be any different?

Having had to take water with me I was limited to the amount available to spray and I was on my own. After spraying I went inside (through a cab door) to find that water had seemingly got in at the top of the door, pic 4 (sorry, no water visible in photo). Of course, water running down the inside of the door cannot escape at the bottom and so will inevitably spill on to the floor and also be soaked up by the wall which I believe is what has happened over several years.

With calipers I measured the gap between the door and the frame from the outside, pic 5. The opening has a slight taper such that the gap will be a bit less on the inside. I tried fitting self adhesive foam draught strip to the top of the seal that is around the opening, pic 6. It certainly gave a far better result for the paper test.

Given the variation in the gap and the taper I think the best solution is to fit self adhesive brush strip to the opening along the top, if not on 3 sides, such that as the door closes it moves against and under the brush pile. Fitting it to the door would be much easier as it has a nice channel to follow, pic 7, but any water along the top of the door will tend to go into the brush material. Reading reviews for brush strip it seems adhesive often fails very soon. Does anyone know of any very sticky brush strip and more importantly, do you think my conclusion/solution is sound?

Cheers!

pic 1 hinge.jpgpic 2 adjustable door catch.jpgpic 3 hab door light and awning.jpgpic 4 top inside of door.jpg

Attachments

• pic 5 gap in mm.jpg
    pic 5 gap in mm.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 66
  • pic 6 foam strip.jpg
    pic 6 foam strip.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 67
  • pic 7 door latch and door edge profile.jpg
    pic 7 door latch and door edge profile.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 67
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Yes 2006 model 680 , must have done a modification to original specification.
It only screws over the top of the existing fitting perhaps you could get it from Brownhills at Newark ask Darren he would know.

Hi KUSKUS, spoke to Darren both ordered, should be here in a couple of days, many thanks 🙏

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Hi KUSKUS, door covers arrived today, very nice, driver side fitted already, PERFECT, many thanks, passenger side going on tomorrow 😉👍
POST SCRIPT.
If we bump into each other at a meet, the beers, schnapps or brandies are on me, cheers 🍻 AL

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Does the awning and very close to the hab door

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sorry does it end and water runs down off it and runs down side of hab door

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
I have the same problem with my Knaus. No water ingress just draughts. I would be tempted to fit a larger seal if available. I have used this company before. https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk

doesn't matter now, but I've saved the site info, I needed some sort of seal for my roof lights, no leaks, just a load of crap (leaves and dirt etc) my roof lights have two seals inner and outer, the outer seal was not there

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I have the same problem with my Knaus. No water ingress just draughts. I would be tempted to fit a larger seal if available. I have used this company before. https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk
Have also used different profile /sizes of seals from this supplier and are very helpful, get their catalogue which gives exact sized images and will supply a short length FOC for you to double check suitability before placing your full order, all sorts of seals rubber solid and hollow sponge foam self adhesive etc etc
well worth having their catalogue book for future reference,

Nov 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
autocruise stardream
Exp
since 1970
Hi Fiferjim You can get it from the FIAMMA accessory store its called drip stop.
Regards
dannymac

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
as does mine too NOW, thanks to KUSKUS, pics will follow later today

pics as promised, the driver side was a direct replacement, but the passenger side was slightly different as there a "U" shaped piece of metal around the bolt, so I had to take that off and re-align the bolt, all done and sweet, jobs a gudun

driver side

P1360561.JPG

passenger side

P1360552.JPG
P1360553.JPG
P1360554.JPG
P1360549.JPG
P1360557.JPG
P1360558.JPG

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
although I've now cured my Hymer door flaw (thanks KUSKUS) I still think that the bolt on the body is a design flaw, most other vehicles have the bolt on the door

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back