Design Flaw?? (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Fiamma do one called drip stop but some also call them rain stop or door/rain gutter.
Fiamma do a drip stop which comes with or without a light fitting built in. I had to replace mine when it got ripped off when in a narrowish road by tree branches. This was couple of years ago, the replacement is self adhesive which has survived so far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dibblefish

Free Member
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 680 TL
Exp
6 years
We have a plastic door mat inside the hab door of Burstner van and sometimes when visiting the van in storage there is water under the mat, no where else, though there is a highish damp reading of 25% on the bottom of the hinge side wall and under the hab door where the wood has actually rotted. We have not witnessed any water penetration while using the van. You'll see from the photos that the inner black rubber seal is not tightly compressed to the frame on the hinge side as it is everywhere else. There's no visible light getting through but pressing the seal slightly with fingers easily produces a gap. Can't see any way to adjust the door. Could it be in times of heavy rain and wind, water is pushed in and on reaching the bottom is trapped and so spills over inside or something? Are all hab doors like this? Thanks for any input!

View attachment 432287View attachment 432288
How old is your van? We have recently taken delivery of a brand new 680 G and on its first outing we encountered biblical weather in Norfolk which involved driving through semi flooded roads. After a few days on site I decided to lift the bottom step mat to shake off the muck. It is a stiff carpet top with cork backing. Underneath was awash and the mat was wrecked. Could not identify where the water was coming from. When we returned first job was to put in the dehumidifier to dry out what was trapped below the step. On inspection underneath I found the culprit. The step outer casing is sealed to the underneath with mastic ( administered by a fitting alchoholic I think), and there was a nice hole in the mastic allowing any water driven up underneath to enter between the casing and side wall.
There was black mastic hanging like icicles from the van underneath, it is used with abandon by Burstner.
pdi’s are superficial that is apparent as there are quite a few issues in need of attention. Nice van but BMW it ain’t 🤣

Attachments

• 04552C6E-D0CE-41CC-94BB-F8994685AAF4.jpeg
    04552C6E-D0CE-41CC-94BB-F8994685AAF4.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 115
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I don’t know what it’s called, but Chelston’s and Newport caravans are familiar with the item as they have fitted the “ rain deflector” to my Burstner A class.
In conversation with the dealer, I was of the opinion that they are aware of this scenario.
Have a go, it’s worked for me, twice!
Fiamma make rain guttering which works

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Fiamma do a drip stop which comes with or without a light fitting built in. I had to replace mine when it got ripped off when in a narrowish road by tree branches. This was couple of years ago, the replacement is self adhesive which has survived so far.
I'll check it out, and thanks for the link. Self adhesive sounds good to me!

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
How old is your van? We have recently taken delivery of a brand new 680 G and on its first outing we encountered biblical weather in Norfolk which involved driving through semi flooded roads. After a few days on site I decided to lift the bottom step mat to shake off the muck. It is a stiff carpet top with cork backing. Underneath was awash and the mat was wrecked. Could not identify where the water was coming from. When we returned first job was to put in the dehumidifier to dry out what was trapped below the step. On inspection underneath I found the culprit. The step outer casing is sealed to the underneath with mastic ( administered by a fitting alchoholic I think), and there was a nice hole in the mastic allowing any water driven up underneath to enter between the casing and side wall.
There was black mastic hanging like icicles from the van underneath, it is used with abandon by Burstner.
pdi’s are superficial that is apparent as there are quite a few issues in need of attention. Nice van but BMW it ain’t 🤣
It's 2014 and if it is the door seal being in the 'wrong' position, then I'm guessing it's been like it since day one, but never see any water on the floor, unless it's under the mat. I had been blaming wife for not drying properly after cleaning :). I don't have an internal step but will look under the van anyway. Thanks.

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Update
A number of funsters suggested the hinges may be adjusted. Had another look but they still don't look adjustable to me which suggests the door is in the correct position, or am I missing something? Thanks again guys :)

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_115238347.jpg
    IMG_20201014_115238347.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20201014_115201945.jpg
    IMG_20201014_115201945.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Hinge side with door closed.jpg
    Hinge side with door closed.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 100

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
That's helpful - one seal issue does not detract from the build quality of some German vans.
I have bought a german van myself and but im just saying that i seem to read as many threads on here about faults with german manufacturer's as any other.

Dibblefish

Free Member
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 680 TL
Exp
6 years
I have bought a german van myself and but im just saying that i seem to read as many threads on here about faults with german manufacturer's as any other.
Regarding build quality of vans, in my case I look at the various issues and none reflect on the quality of the product just the attention to detail. It’s our second Burstner and both have/are been great units, buying a new unit at a considerable cost there is an expectation that either the factory or dealership pdi would pick up the issues. Apparently not. Maybe it is down to that mass purchasing of motorhomes this year that some inspection procedures have suffered, I can only speculate. As an example, the awning is factory fitted and betweenIt and the side of the van at the top they put in an expanding seal which expands once the release tape is removed. The seal if fitted correctly should expand down behind the awning. Half way along ours blooms out of the gap so you have 3m of black foam stuck up in the air. Pretty ugly, impossible to clean and releasing black marks down the van. This escaped the attention of both factory and dealership and will probably result in the awning have to be removed as part of the remedial work, a major job.
still love the van, just frustrated with attention to detail

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Have to say when I see a drip stop above a garage/locker door that has not been fitted from new, like the ones above some habitation doors I immediately am wary above it being an aftermarket bodge and not addressing the problem correctly.

To me they look a mess and a bodge and don't always work depending on the severity/angle of the rain.

On our previous Hymer we have 2 metal ''Keepers'' on the door frame that could be adjusted to make a tighter fitting which worked.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's 2014 and if it is the door seal being in the 'wrong' position, then I'm guessing it's been like it since day one, but never see any water on the floor, unless it's under the mat. I had been blaming wife for not drying properly after cleaning :). I don't have an internal step but will look under the van anyway. Thanks.
Is it still by any chance still under the water ingress warranty?

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Is it still by any chance still under the water ingress warranty?
You know I never got a straight answer to the ingress warranty duration, but sure it's now expired anyway Lenny.

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Maybe try this.....If you have access to some blue industrial paper roll (or similar) try tacking some all around the door frame then shut the door and wait for rain. ( or soak the door from the outside some other way) and the blue paper should help identify where the leak is. You will have to make certain the paper does not reach the outside of the frame or I think it will just seep through the paper and show up all round. If the paper dries out before you see it wet there will still be marks on the paper. There may be a little upward creep of the water mark but it should give you some idea where the leak is.

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
More grist to the mill, thanks!

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to make it sound worse. Hopefully yours is a simple fix but my 2005 Scout had a leak accumulating in same area. Similar damp test results. I replaced my seal. Removed and resealed my door. No joy. Realised it only accumulated there when parked on sloping drive with the front higher than back. Damp checked all wall behind fridge and cooler etc. Checked kitchen window seals which were further forward than door. Replaced fridge vents and seal to external gas tap. Working my way forward. Wasn’t any of that. Eventually found and sorted the issue but it was the seam on the Joint between hab and cab area. Resealed the joint cover and it stopped happening so it can come in anywhere and end up somewhere else. Good luck.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
As M-J said slacken off the bolts on one hindge and see if the door can be moved it's only clamped on place. Might give u enough movement to create a seal.
Dont take the bolt out completely and dont use to much brute force and bend the door frame.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Measure the actual hole that hey made in the bodywork. My hymer leaked like sieve into the garage and flooded the floor everytime it rained. I fixed it myself an found the factory had spread the rear face away from the front when they fitted the floor panel. It was so far away you could see through the gap. The dealer wanted t fit another door an have it fo months whilst doing it. I was not going to drive 300 miles each way with two vehicles twice just fo them to do a not needed , repair to the wrong thing . Took a bit of thinking about bu I was successful anf it took a days work to reset the side panel, but my Hymer warranty was cancelled or so I was told, because of unauthorised work being done by a non agent, me. the sorr ytale is on the forum, away back in the past.

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Sorry to make it sound worse. Hopefully yours is a simple fix but my 2005 Scout had a leak accumulating in same area. Similar damp test results. I replaced my seal. Removed and resealed my door. No joy. Realised it only accumulated there when parked on sloping drive with the front higher than back. Damp checked all wall behind fridge and cooler etc. Checked kitchen window seals which were further forward than door. Replaced fridge vents and seal to external gas tap. Working my way forward. Wasn’t any of that. Eventually found and sorted the issue but it was the seam on the Joint between hab and cab area. Resealed the joint cover and it stopped happening so it can come in anywhere and end up somewhere else. Good luck.
Yes, same with the likes of house roof leaks. Where the water appears isn't necessarily where it's getting in. I had a car and one rear light cluster would get water in it. Turned out a gap in weld under the recessed roof gutter. The water must have clung on all the way down the inner slope of the hatchback area.

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
As M-J said slacken off the bolts on one hindge and see if the door can be moved it's only clamped on place. Might give u enough movement to create a seal.
Dont take the bolt out completely and dont use to much brute force and bend the door frame.
I'll give it a try next time I go to storage though not sure I'll get any left to right movement to move door towards hinge side.

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Measure the actual hole that hey made in the bodywork. My hymer leaked like sieve into the garage and flooded the floor everytime it rained. I fixed it myself an found the factory had spread the rear face away from the front when they fitted the floor panel. It was so far away you could see through the gap. The dealer wanted t fit another door an have it fo months whilst doing it. I was not going to drive 300 miles each way with two vehicles twice just fo them to do a not needed , repair to the wrong thing . Took a bit of thinking about bu I was successful anf it took a days work to reset the side panel, but my Hymer warranty was cancelled or so I was told, because of unauthorised work being done by a non agent, me. the sorr ytale is on the forum, away back in the past.
That sounds a serious bit of work!

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Can the door be adjusted?

Are the seals fitted correctly?
Adjustment may be possible up and down but I reckon I need sideways. Seals look ok as far as I can see.

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
There should be adjusted on the hinges , Had a similar problem with a Hartel door with wind but no water
Current MH has a seitz door no problems
How can I tell make of door? Haven't seen anything obvious

OP
OP
F

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Our Burstner seemed to have two settings for the door closure. Pull to to close the door or slam it shut if you wanted it to close properly without drafts etc.
Yep, same
Oops, had already replied!

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
we had the same problem last year and were racking our brains as we had not had any water in van before. Our door mat was almost floating and whenever we dried the step more water appeared. Fingers crossed we think and hope we solved the problem. The rubber seal on the right hand external side of the door has a join near the lower hinge. This had popped out of position and was acting like a funnel everytime it rained. Just pushed it back into place and we haven’t had any water in since. We do keep an eye on it, but so far so good.

upon reflection when we first experienced the water in the door well we had recently driven through standing water on the side of a French autoroute and we now believe the water may be coming up rather than leaking down through the seals. Since drying this out we have never experienced any leak again over the last twelve months despite having experienced torrential downpours.

We now believe door seals may be innocent and intend to investigate the mastic under the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back