Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
I'm starting to plan our trip to Denmark for next Easter, had a quick search on the forum and can't see much info, can anyone recommend must see sites to experience the Danish Hygge!
Rough plan at the moment is to catch the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then spend a few days traveling up through Belgium and Germany up to Copenhagen and then across to Legoland.

Cheers in advance.

Martin

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi All,
I'm starting to plan our trip to Denmark for next Easter, had a quick search on the forum and can't see much info, can anyone recommend must see sites to experience the Danish Hygge!
Rough plan at the moment is to catch the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then spend a few days traveling up through Belgium and Germany up to Copenhagen and then across to Legoland.

Cheers in advance.

Martin
We didn't go that far north as we stopped off on the Baltic German coast on the way and visited Prora. We meandered. Lots of marina's that act as Aires (albiet not in terms of what it costs!).

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
You could follow the Margeriten Route which takes in all the best bits of the country, its about 3500km long but you could dip in and out of it as you go, just follow the signs when you see them..

Margueritrute-skilt.JPG

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We were there for a while in the spring. Like The Wino we stayed at several marinas. They tended to be well kept with water/waste facilities, showers and washrooms available at a price (they often had a machine where you could get a card to pay for facilities and electric if required) and communal bbqs. There was usually something to see with the boat traffic. We enjoyed them.
Ribe was worth a visit, an old town with a busy free air (just a car-park) and a Viking museum.
Card is king! In several weeks in Scandanavia we only spent €10 in cash.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi All,

Cheers in advance.

Martin
Unless you specifically want to do France and Belgium, then I'd suggest the Harwich/Hoek of Holland ferry.

Personally, having cycled it, I'd avoid the left side of Denmark.
Its very similar to Holland and north west Germany, flat, sand dunes, no trees, and identical small villages.

To such an extent that when cycling in a large group we would say that we will meet you in a named village in the Spa next to the white church with the square tower on the village green.

People assumed we had been there before, but no, the villages were so identical you could navigate around them, even to the extent of knowing we could get water from the tap behind the church

The islands on the way to Copenhagen are far more interesting, some good Viking museums to see.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Visited several times over the years and camping a few times. See my post #9 on this thread:

EDIT to add. The early arrival Harwich to Hook route is the one we took and then Puttgarden to Rødby later the same day to get a good start for the first night at Faxe Ladeplads campsite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
You could follow the Margeriten Route which takes in all the best bits of the country, its about 3500km long but you could dip in and out of it as you go, just follow the signs when you see them..

View attachment 831885

Pete
Thanks for this, will be quite helpful when planning routes (y)
We didn't go that far north as we stopped off on the Baltic German coast on the way and visited Prora. We meandered. Lots of marina's that act as Aires (albiet not in terms of what it costs!).
We were there for a while in the spring. Like The Wino we stayed at several marinas. They tended to be well kept with water/waste facilities, showers and washrooms available at a price (they often had a machine where you could get a card to pay for facilities and electric if required) and communal bbqs. There was usually something to see with the boat traffic. We enjoyed them.
Ribe was worth a visit, an old town with a busy free air (just a car-park) and a Viking museum.
We love a good marina aire, been to a few in the Netherlands and found them well serviced and clean, plus its relaxing to see the gentle hummm of the boats as they go by, don't mind paying if the services are good!
I was thinking if getting a little cash, but as it's not Euros I don't want to get much as I'll have to convert it back on my return if I don't spend it, glad to hear that Card is king!
Unless you specifically want to do France and Belgium, then I'd suggest the Harwich/Hoek of Holland ferry.

Personally, having cycled it, I'd avoid the left side of Denmark.
Its very similar to Holland and north west Germany, flat, sand dunes, no trees, and identical small villages.

To such an extent that when cycling in a large group we would say that we will meet you in a named village in the Spa next to the white church with the square tower on the village green.

People assumed we had been there before, but no, the villages were so identical you could navigate around them, even to the extent of knowing we could get water from the tap behind the church

The islands on the way to Copenhagen are far more interesting, some good Viking museums to see.
I've looked at both Harwick>HOH and Dover>Dunkirk, Pricing and timing suits better from Dunkirk, what surprised me most is that there is only 120 miles or so difference between the routes.
Thanks for the advice on avoiding the left side, we've done Netherlands this year which we enjoyed thoroughly but looking for something different.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Visited several times over the years and camping a few times. See my post #9 on this thread:

EDIT to add. The early arrival Harwich to Hook route is the one we took and then Puttgarden to Rødby later the same day to get a good start for the first night at Faxe Ladeplads campsite.
How long did it take you to get from Hook to Puttgarden? I'd planned to go form Dunkirk and stop every 200 miles for a stopover and to visit somewhere nice along the route, so it would take me 3 days to get from Dunkirk to Rødby

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We did the same got out some Danish currency and never used any until the end

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

We love a good marina aire, been to a few in the Netherlands and found them well serviced and clean, plus its relaxing to see the gentle hummm of the boats as they go by, don't mind paying if the services are good!
I was thinking if getting a little cash, but as it's not Euros I don't want to get much as I'll have to convert it back on my return if I don't spend it, glad to hear that Card is king!

I've looked at both Harwick>HOH and Dover>Dunkirk, Pricing and timing suits better from Dunkirk, what surprised me most is that there is only 120 miles or so difference between the routes.
Thanks for the advice on avoiding the left side, we've done Netherlands this year which we enjoyed thoroughly but looking for something different.
It's the difference this side that decided us on Harwich

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
It's the difference this side that decided us on Harwich
There's not a lot of different for us as we are coming from Cornwall, just the timing of the ferries means that Dover is cheaper/quicker. Although if time and money didn't matter then I love catching a late ferry and waking up fresh in a foreign country :giggle:

<M>

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
How long did it take you to get from Hook to Puttgarden? I'd planned to go form Dunkirk and stop every 200 miles for a stopover and to visit somewhere nice along the route, so it would take me 3 days to get from Dunkirk to Rødby

IIRC it was about 7 hours but the roads are good all the way so we could get a move on and we actually got onto the ferry departing Puttgarden before the one we’d anticipated getting.

We were sharpish getting off the ferry at the Hook that morning and I remember arriving at the campsite around 7pm ish.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

That is because Google maps includes sea miles.
Road miles/hours is substantially more via Dover
Ignore the UK bit on Google maps and just measure the mainland section

Both ports are about 80 miles from the M25
Hoek van Holland to Flensburg is 700km and 7hrs
Calais to Flensburg is 900km and 11hrs

The main difference is:

If you get the Friday overnight ferry from Harwich you can be in Denmark by mid afternoon Saturday, even with a single driver.

Starting at the same time from Dover and getting a late Friday night ferry you will need to overnight in France or Belgium, and even if you started at the same time on the Saturday morning you would need two drivers to make Denmark by Saturday night.
In reality you would probably stop somewhere around Bremen for the second night.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
That is because Google maps includes sea miles.
Road miles/hours is substantially more via Dover
Ignore the UK bit on Google maps and just measure the mainland section

Both ports are about 80 miles from the M25
Hoek van Holland to Flensburg is 700km and 7hrs
Calais to Flensburg is 900km and 11hrs

The main difference is:

If you get the Friday overnight ferry from Harwich you can be in Denmark by mid afternoon Saturday, even with a single driver.

Starting at the same time from Dover and getting a late Friday night ferry you will need to overnight in France or Belgium, and even if you started at the same time on the Saturday morning you would need two drivers to make Denmark by Saturday night.
In reality you would probably stop somewhere around Bremen for the second night.
Certainly food for thought, my reasons for Dunkirk is the timing of the ferry, coming up from Cornwall means I can be at either port at 1pm, which would mean hanging around at Harwich for the night ferry where by Dunkirk sales at 2pm ( and a shorter/cheaper crossing). Then drive off for a few hours before settling somewhere in Belgium.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We spent a month on a trip to Denmark. We did Hull-Rotterdam but from Cornwall best go Dover -Dunkirk as you say. One day to Dover, overnight at Lenacre Farm CL Whitfield (£18) Tesco Superstore nearby. This relieves the pressure to get to the ferry at a specific time. Then early ferry to Dunkirk. Breakfast on ferry and then drive like hell through Belgium and aim for the Marina De Hanze at Zwolle and then a CL type site at Bourtange Fortress Museum, the on to the Kiel Canal Aire at Rendsberg then into Denmark and Ribe , and don't miss Jelling either. Overnight in the car park. There are plenty of marina Aires to use, we did. Use the ferry from Aarhus rather than the Belt bridge (same cost overall) to get to Roskilde and Copenhagen. Cards (Revolut) all the way, we never used Danish cash. Only a couple of LPG stations. Cycling is easy 'cos its flat, very flat. Enjoy.
Our route is here:

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Certainly food for thought, my reasons for Dunkirk is the timing of the ferry, coming up from Cornwall means I can be at either port at 1pm, which would mean hanging around at Harwich for the night ferry where by Dunkirk sales at 2pm ( and a shorter/cheaper crossing). Then drive off for a few hours before settling somewhere in Belgium.
Being an Ex-Pat Cornishman, which means my motorhome could do the A303 with it's lights off.
I always allow 7hrs for the 276 miles between North Cornwall and SE London

For you to be at the port by 13h00 means leaving around 4-5am

The Harwich option means you leave before lunch and you would be in Harwich by early evening in time to get a meal on shore, so that you load and go to bed in your cabin.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We spent a month on a trip to Denmark. We did Hull-Rotterdam but from Cornwall best go Dover -Dunkirk as you say. One day to Dover, overnight at Lenacre Farm CL Whitfield (£18) Tesco Superstore nearby. This relieves the pressure to get to the ferry at a specific time. Then early ferry to Dunkirk. Breakfast on ferry and then drive like hell through Belgium and aim for the Marina De Hanze at Zwolle and then a CL type site at Bourtange Fortress Museum, the on to the Kiel Canal Aire at Rendsberg then into Denmark and Ribe , and don't miss Jelling either. Overnight in the car park. There are plenty of marina Aires to use, we did. Use the ferry from Aarhus rather than the Belt bridge (same cost overall) to get to Roskilde and Copenhagen. Cards (Revolut) all the way, we never used Danish cash. Only a couple of LPG stations. Cycling is easy 'cos its flat, very flat. Enjoy.
Our route is here:
Thanks very much for this info, I can see that map being quite a useful resource! (y) (y) (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,

Cheers in advance.

Martin

I am a bit surprised at the request.

If you do not know where to go in Denmark why did you choose it as a destination?

Just curious.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009

If you do not know where to go in Denmark why did you choose it as a destination?

Just curious.
I want to experience as much of Europe as possible with the kids before they get too old and don't want to go with us anymore, Denmark is the next place on the list, looks like a nice country. :giggle: Asking here for ideas often brings up hidden gems(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

Just curious.
That’s a bit harsh isn’t it? That’s what MHF is all about information I hope this hasn’t put off the OP from asking questions we have all done this at some time I’m sure😊

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That’s a bit harsh isn’t it? That’s what MHF is all about information I hope this hasn’t put off the OP from asking questions we have all done this at some time I’m sure😊

Not necessarily harsh, maybe they have friends/relations there.

I was just curious and the OP did not explain.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We Did Denmark just cos you can, and in a moho it's attaimnable and its full of viking history and its different from France and Spain .... etc. We were not impressed with Tivoli, its a theme park basically, and same with Legoland. But with kids its altogether a different perspective. If you do Legoland you can do Jelling on the way to Aarhus. (Jelling is where Denmark was founded and its their equivalent to Stonehenge+Runnymede, and they are landscaping the very good new museum.). Kids will love the Vikings. Don't miss Roskilde

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi All,

Cheers in advance.

Martin
Have a look on the camper contact website, not the app .
they do Scandinavian tours so will probably cover other areas as well. We had one of an Aussie here in Morocco .he is doing a 50 day Campercontact moroccan tour but reckons it will take him 70 days at a more leisurely pace they provide all the maps and places to see plus the stopovetrs and they are not that expensive around 20euros.
He said the downsidevisxthey are in Danish but he got them translated on google to a pdf format in english

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Had a 5-week trip in September/October this year to Denmark (spending some time in The Netherlands and briefly Germany and Belgium), but only travelled as far north as Copenhagen. It suited us to use the Stena Ferries crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland on the way out. We enjoyed this daytime crossing, after overnighting at the port. For the return we crossed from Dunkirk to Dover because we wanted to visit the Menem Gate at Ypres and several WW1 and WW2 sites in Belgium and Northern France on the return leg.

For the drive north we headed to Kolding and then the two bridges across to get to Copenhagen. On the return we used the Rødby to Puttgarden Ferry. This ferry is not cheap (but neither are the bridge crossings) but you get a discount voucher with your ticket which makes the gigantic floating Duty Free Shop at Puttgarden even cheaper. This border shop is an absolute must. Never experienced so many free tastings……..take care if you are driving. We stocked up here for our full quota of UK duty-free import.

For our 4-night stopover in Copenhagen, we booked into a campsite, as this seemed to be the only realistic way of seeing the City. A few minutes walk to a couple of supermarkets and the Metro into the City Centre. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=20837

We found the roads in the Netherlands to be free of potholes and a pleasure to drive on. Denmark was much the same, but you know when you have crossed over into Germany…… obviously no border controls……. but the roads suddenly deteriorate, with hold-ups and miles of road works!

We had forgotten until we got into Denmark - no Euros here. Like UK they kept their own currency…….. the Danish Kroner.

One highlight (we thought) of our trip was the fortress village of Bourgogne near Groningen, in The Netherlands….. if you pass this way. We stayed for a couple of nights at https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=26531 just a 10-minute walk to the nearby Fortress Village.

Next Stop - I am sure you will enjoy your trip Martin, whatever you decide to do.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Thank you all so much for your ideas, I've got plenty to look at now and a lot of planning to do! 😁
Thank you for the thread, I've bookmarked it for future reference, and thanks to all who's provided information!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back