Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Hi All,
I'm starting to plan our trip to Denmark for next Easter, had a quick search on the forum and can't see much info, can anyone recommend must see sites to experience the Danish Hygge!
Rough plan at the moment is to catch the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then spend a few days traveling up through Belgium and Germany up to Copenhagen and then across to Legoland.

Cheers in advance.

Martin
Hi, am normally in Denmark twice a year. Harwich to Hook van Holland is my preferred route, especially after the illegal immigration. Through CAMC good discount on day crossing, night crossing better if a long drive next day. I stop over in Bremen, which is a very pretty city. Stay there at Hanse Komfort Hotel, Haastedter Heerstrasse 104, 28207 Bremen, they have room for 16 moho's behind the hotel.
That breaks up the trip to DK.
In Copenhagen I stay at Absalon Camping which i brilliant, even with kitchen facilities.
I normally drive via the Island of Funen (Fyn) as the crossing of the Baltic is expensive, even it saves you about 130 km.
Many interesting places to see in Denmark, but it is expensive.
Hope this will help, good luck.

Dec 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi All,
I'm starting to plan our trip to Denmark for next Easter, had a quick search on the forum and can't see much info, can anyone recommend must see sites to experience the Danish Hygge!
Rough plan at the moment is to catch the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then spend a few days traveling up through Belgium and Germany up to Copenhagen and then across to Legoland.

Cheers in advance.

Martin
Don't be put off ! It's a lovely place, great happy smiling people, clean, good roads, lots of camping spots, picnic areas, lots of interesting burials and Viking history etc.

Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
You could follow the Margeriten Route which takes in all the best bits of the country, its about 3500km long but you could dip in and out of it as you go, just follow the signs when you see them..

View attachment 831885

Pete
Thanks for the Marguerite Route tip - anyone know if there’s anything similar for Sweden and Norway?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 15, 2014
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2010
As others have said there is probably more variety and things to see in the Seeland part of DK (Copenhagen, upto Helsingor to see Hamlets castle, Karen Blixen's place etc. and back across the other islands: Odense on Fyn etc). than Jutland (Jyske) where the high point is about 160 metres above sea level but Vejle (home of Isabella awnings and who repired ours for free when we dropped in) Aarhus and Friedrichshavn on the east coast are worth a look and definitely get up to Skagen where the North sea meets the Baltic Sea. On the east coast all very similar but Ringkobing is worth a look and of course Esbjerg which is a ferry terminal and where all the wind turbine blades seem to be dispatched from (convoys of very long loads with their own road through the middle of roundabouts)...

A few ideas for you

Oh and forgot to say its CLEAN

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As others have said there is probably more variety and things to see in the Seeland part of DK (Copenhagen, upto Helsingor to see Hamlets castle, Karen Blixen's place etc. and back across the other islands: Odense on Fyn etc). than Jutland (Jyske) where the high point is about 160 metres above sea level but Vejle (home of Isabella awnings and who repired ours for free when we dropped in) Aarhus and Friedrichshavn on the east coast are worth a look and definitely get up to Skagen where the North sea meets the Baltic Sea. On the east coast all very similar but Ringkobing is worth a look and of course Esbjerg which is a ferry terminal and where all the wind turbine blades seem to be dispatched from (convoys of very long loads with their own road through the middle of roundabouts)...

A few ideas for you

Oh and forgot to say its CLEAN
Esbjerg sadly is no longer a passenger ferry port.

Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2008
We (me, wife, 2 dogs) toured Denmark for 4 weeks in May / June 2022. Spent 2 weeks getting there from the tunnel across southern Belgium (Namur Dinant, La roche) then up through Germany (Monschau, Bremen) and entered Denmark at Tonder. Our meanderings took us to Romo and then up the west coast to Skagen from there to Aarhus, Odense, Faaborg, Mon, Helsingor, Copenhagen, Praesto and Marielyst and various points in between. Roads are great. Clean public loos everywhere. People super friendly. Welcoming to motorhomes. We stayed on beaches, beach side carparks, picnic areas, campsites, aires, marinas and city / town carparks all with no problems whatsoever. Don't park in bays marked for the disabled or buses / coaches. Get yourself a blue parking card - you need it for free car parks to record your arrival time. We used VisitDenmark.com for planning and then just winged. Get in the sea and swim with the locals in their wrinkly pink swimsuits and enjoy. We loved the country and really didnt want to leave. Exited via the Rodby to Puttgarden ferry. 70 Euros and saved a lot of unnecessary driving. Back (another 2 weeks) via Lubeck, Koblenz, Mosel Valley and northern France.

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
Hi All,

Cheers in advance.

Martin
Hi Martin, we live in Norway but are in Denmark 5-6 times a year and also into Holland Germany a lot, are you going just to Legoland or further north,?. There are many nice places on Park4Night and many places in Denmark near or on the coast combine parking in boat harbours. One place we visit quite a lot is Marsk tower which is out on the west coast near the island of Rømø, www.marskcamp.com.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Martin, we live in Norway but are in Denmark 5-6 times a year and also into Holland Germany a lot, are you going just to Legoland or further north,?. There are many nice places on Park4Night and many places in Denmark near or on the coast combine parking in boat harbours. One place we visit quite a lot is Marsk tower which is out on the west coast near the island of Rømø, www.marskcamp.com.
Hi,
I roughly plan to go up to Copenhagen and then across to Legoland, then back down, but if the North is worth visiting then we may venture up.
I'm thinking we may need more than 2 weeks for this one! Not to wish my life away but, roll on retirement!

<M>

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
Hi Martin, yes you may need more time if you are planning to visit the capital and also go further north.

If you are driving up through Germany to north of Kolding and taking the bridges over to Copenhagen on the E20 which is an interesting drive if you have never done it, there are a few nice places on the coast before you reach the junction. We have stayed at Hadeslev, Aarøsund and a little further south Aabenraa.

If you are taking the E7 up from Hamburg to the Flensburg border, just before the German Danish border on the left there is a center called the Scandi Center. Here you can fill auto gas and with a motorhome or caravan park for the night free of charge. As a tip there is very little Auto gas in Denmark for driving on and if you have on board gas tanks.

Denmark is a bit pricey, but a great country with good food and drink and very nice people.
We have been visiting there for 45 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back