Data sims for using in Europe! (1 Viewer)

cycletothesea

Free Member
May 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - Pilote
Hi folks, going round in circles trying to find a definitive answer here.
I want to get a separate wifi router/hub to use when on holiday in Europe, that's the easy bit.
But more impossible is finding a data only sim that I can buy here, and then use in the router when abroad. Seen so many proviso's saying that data can only be used in the UK, especially the one from EE I was going to get.
I don't want to be tied to any contract with any network, just have a plug-and-play wifi option which is pre-paid. Is that a thing?

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Airhub unlimited eSIM just worked very well for last month in my pepwave router travelling around north Europe and Norway. If you want more data on a SIM check out ConnectPls

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
IQ GO data only physical SIM (https://helloiq.co.uk/collections/iq-go) is marketed for roaming and giving you a full 100G whilst in Europe.

Airhub app (https://www.airhubapp.com/esim/Europe) market their unlimited European data roaming eSIM.

I'm trying both starting tomorrow, IQ in my MiFi and the eSIM in my dual SIM phone. Might not be a direct comparison as the IQ will have an external aerial (if that even makes a difference) and one will be on a phone using it as a hotspot.

IQ doesn't appear to apply credit immediately, in my experience its done first thing in the morning, so I'd advise buying credit the day before you need it. I may just have been unfortunate there.

IQ also have a whatsapp contact number on their website. They are pretty good at responding and answering questions. I also messaged Airhubapp and got this response to my questions via email :
I asked IQ to reload on a specific date and this happened as requested.

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
For those who are looking in Spain

Local mobile shop (Gandia) - €20 for data sim only - 150gb (vodaphone network)

Can be topped up on line or in shops

Edit - and they set up our mifi for us……..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You need to change your contract, I only pay that for 100GB including a brand new £300 phone, I was going to buy the phone then came across the deal.

Via Carphone Warehouse (ID is a CPW company) 50GB £8/month.
But if staying on the same network you can't get a pack code they will only give you an upgrade, for the deal I wanted the upgrade was £21/month.
So I got a free Asda PAYG sim, transfered my number to that & then to the new ID SIM didn't cost anything.
Lenny, when you got the new ID mobile SIM did you have to use a different email address as a “”new customer” or were you still able to use your original one. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
IQ have launched a new offer for subscribers - port your existing personal mobile to an IQ SIM only plan and increase the 90 days free EU roaming by a further 15 days. So increase to 120 days if you and partner both do it.

Deals aren’t that bad either (prices below further discounted by 10% for 3 months if you act by 31July).

£7 a month (Just calls and Texts)
£10 a month 3GB + Calls and Texts
£12.50 a month 10GB + Calls and Texts
£15 a month 30GB + Calls and Texts
£25 a month 100GB + Calls and Texts

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, when you got the new ID mobile SIM did you have to use a different email address as a “”new customer” or were you still able to use your original one. Thanks.
I had bit of grief because my original contract I signed up as Leonard B and the new one with the phone I used Lenny B but with the same email address. Their system couldn't cope with that and they asked me ring them the guy I spoke to was fine. Then I got an email saying credit check had failed spoke to a girl who was unhelpful anyway got hold of the first guy and he sorted it out and he was very helpful. He told be about getting a PAYG sim to get my number across. After I transfered the number I could still use my original login on the app.

A bit of hassle would have probably been OK if I'd used exactly the same details.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cycletothesea

Free Member
May 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - Pilote
Here we go again… 🤦‍♂️

Mobile phone data plans are different to mobile data plans. The service you get when roaming with mobile phone data plans, in a router, WILL be very different, constrained, reduced compared to using that plan with your mobile.

If you want mobile data for a router when roaming, get a mobile data SIM like Tiekom.
Dont understand your reply, I'm not looking for any sort of mobile phone network. I'm after a WiFi connection.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cycletothesea

Free Member
May 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - Pilote
Thanks for all replies folks. Consensus seems to be IQ mobile as a clear winner 🏆

Upvote 0
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Dont understand your reply, I'm not looking for any sort of mobile phone network. I'm after a WiFi connection.
I think the point Carpmart is making is that there is a difference in service between a data only sim (which is what we want for a router) and a sim intended for a mobile phone with a large or unlimited data allowance.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Beware...... IQ Go appear to have changed their EU usage policy.....

It used to be: "We do however state we can't permit more than 3 months in a row EU usage without use in the UK breaking it up".

It now states: "Your IQ Go travel SIM at present can do 90 days in a 12-month period".

This is a fundamental change that will make it as much use as a 'chocolate tea pot' to many users.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

The bearer, the bit that connects you to the mobile network is the bit I’m referring too. WiFi is what you connect your devices to (your router) which then accesses the bearer (mobile) network..

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had bit of grief because my original contract I signed up as Leonard B and the new one with the phone I used Lenny B but with the same email address. Their system couldn't cope with that and they asked me ring them the guy I spoke to was fine. Then I got an email saying credit check had failed spoke to a girl who was unhelpful anyway got hold of the first guy and he sorted it out and he was very helpful. He told be about getting a PAYG sim to get my number across. After I transfered the number I could still use my original login on the app.

A bit of hassle would have probably been OK if I'd used exactly the same details.
Useful to know. When I’ve gone back as a so called new customer I’ve used a new email but that can be a pain but I haven’t tried the quick return via the pay as you go sim yet . The last time I tried to Port from a pay as you go sim was from 3 to Lebara and it wouldn’t work so Nick had to put up with a new number!

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Beware...... IQ Go appear to have changed their EU usage policy.....

It used to be: "We do however state we can't permit more than 3 months in a row EU usage without use in the UK breaking it up".

It now states: "Your IQ Go travel SIM at present can do 90 days in a 12-month period".

This is a fundamental change that will make it as much use as a 'chocolate tea pot' to many users.
Not really, most don't use full 90 days but if you do just get a 2nd sim?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Useful to know. When I’ve gone back as a so called new customer I’ve used a new email but that can be a pain but I haven’t tried the quick return via the pay as you go sim yet . The last time I tried to Port from a pay as you go sim was from 3 to Lebara and it wouldn’t work so Nick had to put up with a new number!
No problem with an Asda sim didn't even put any money on it but you can't get a PAC number the sane day as you port in have to wait until the next day.
With ID sending a text for a PAC didn't work I had to do it online.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Here we go again… 🤦‍♂️

Mobile phone data plans are different to mobile data plans. The service you get when roaming with mobile phone data plans, in a router, WILL be very different, constrained, reduced compared to using that plan with your mobile.

If you want mobile data for a router when roaming, get a mobile data SIM like Tiekom.

Why? Example? tia

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
I am currently using an IQ sim and a TP link mifi, in mainland Europe. Can’t fault the service from either.
Likewise, currently in Spain using the IQ data sim in a Netgear router. I had a problem initially with my router roaming setting which was my problem not IQ.
IQ are very prompt with any queries. Recommend them. Sim working very well and meets my needs.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Pending Purchase
Good thread this. I currently have a Netgear 4G mobile router for Wi-Fi in the van. It works well. Started with a BT Mobile sim which cost £20 per month. I went with BT Mobile as they included EU roaming with a 50GB fair use policy and it used the EE mobile network which is decent. However they moved it to EE fully recently and the free roaming stopped. That SIM contract expires in July so based on this thread I’ll likely be swapping it out for an IQ Mobile SIM. The 90 day limitation is no problem for us, IQ also use the EE mobile network and I like the fact you add data when you need it rather than paying a monthly fee.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Have used IQ mobile for a long time, as far as I am aware it has always been a maximum of 90 days EU roaming in any one year. We have 2 simms one in my name one in the wife’s, we try to use the full 90 day allowance twice a years. At 100 gb a month that works fine, hopefully going to Portugal at the end of the years and as the boos cant walk too far tend to watch a lot of tv. As out of range of Astra 2 down there data will play an important part. Whilst within the three months you can just top up the data so we will just add as required. Given the cost of our van the cost of getting there the money for data is not a great inroad into the holiday budget. Given especially Frazer who is very helpful we find there customer service to be excellent and suggest you give then a try. We use a Huawei E588Ls-93a mobile wifi and a dats only sim never failed to get a good enough signal for streaming even ITV X which many have said buffers.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
As for outside the EU, we are currently in Turkey using an Holafly E simm found it very good and again good customer service.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Received this mail today. We already ported 2 sims so I've asked if they can be used.

A quick preview of what this email contains.​
f9513c78-be47-4252-a9c4-e4bd548082ae.png

Extend the time you can roam with IQ​

Dear Michael,

We hope you’ve enjoyed wonderful fault-free service on your IQ Go travel SIM. We wanted to highlight that IQ Mobile is more than just a travel SIM supplier.

We would love for you to experience the same great service for your personal mobile and we have a range of deals for you to consider.

For every personal SIM you port over to IQ Mobile we will increase the amount of time you can spend abroad on your travel SIM by an additional 15 days.

For example, your IQ Go travel SIM at present can do 90 days in a 12-month period. If you and a partner bring a personal mobile, then that would increase to 120 days in a 12-month period.

There is no limit to the number of SIMs you can bring over, so you can benefit from the credit from your wider family and friends to gain additional roaming time.

Why should you?
  • We love talking to and supporting you.
  • As a small business you’re not just a number to us!
  • All on the UK’s best network for 5G data
  • We include the same great European Roaming Offer on our pay monthly SIMs

Our SIM only plans are available in these sizes:

For a limited time only, you can receive 10% off for the first 3 months using code - IQPersonal10 which is valid until 5PM on 31st July 2024.

Don’t forget you can port your existing number across. Simply text ‘PAC’ to 65075 and let us know the code you get back.

Join the friendly network and experience us all year round!

Thanks

Frazer

IQ Customer Support Team
01225 588 101
help@helloiq.uk
IQ 100GB SIM
IQ Mobile Limited | 71-75 Shelton Street Covent Garden London, London WC2H 9JQ | http://www.helloiq.co.uk | Unsubscribe
01HX95KAVR08X0EQE840Q49K40

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
That’s worth looking into when our current contracts run out!! Lebara keep hassleing us about the time spent in the EU as we can only use a max of 180 days. Split in two and use our phones virtually every day when in the UK, use a IQ sim in a mifi for data when in the van so little data when away I cannot see how they can work out the we use the phones more away than at home, wrote an e mail querying this but not had a response.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
We've ordered the IQ sim and will add the 100 data for a trip to Italy. Thanks all.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
We’ve just received our IQ SIM which we will use on our Rhône trip later this month. Thanks all for the advice

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Received this mail today. We already ported 2 sims so I've asked if they can be used.

A quick preview of what this email contains.​
f9513c78-be47-4252-a9c4-e4bd548082ae.png

Extend the time you can roam with IQ​

Dear Michael,

We hope you’ve enjoyed wonderful fault-free service on your IQ Go travel SIM. We wanted to highlight that IQ Mobile is more than just a travel SIM supplier.

We would love for you to experience the same great service for your personal mobile and we have a range of deals for you to consider.

For every personal SIM you port over to IQ Mobile we will increase the amount of time you can spend abroad on your travel SIM by an additional 15 days.

For example, your IQ Go travel SIM at present can do 90 days in a 12-month period. If you and a partner bring a personal mobile, then that would increase to 120 days in a 12-month period.

There is no limit to the number of SIMs you can bring over, so you can benefit from the credit from your wider family and friends to gain additional roaming time.

Why should you?​
  • We love talking to and supporting you.
  • As a small business you’re not just a number to us!
  • All on the UK’s best network for 5G data
  • We include the same great European Roaming Offer on our pay monthly SIMs

Our SIM only plans are available in these sizes:

For a limited time only, you can receive 10% off for the first 3 months using code - IQPersonal10 which is valid until 5PM on 31st July 2024.

Don’t forget you can port your existing number across. Simply text ‘PAC’ to 65075 and let us know the code you get back.

Join the friendly network and experience us all year round!

Thanks

Frazer

IQ Customer Support Team
01225 588 101
help@helloiq.uk
IQ 100GB SIM
IQ Mobile Limited | 71-75 Shelton Street Covent Garden London, London WC2H 9JQ | http://www.helloiq.co.uk | Unsubscribe

01HX95KAVR08X0EQE840Q49K40
And since had a reply. First class customer service.

Hi Michael,

Absolutely, I can see three SIMs in total for you. The two personal ones will add an additional 30 days to your IQ Go SIM which will see you have a total of 120 days in a 12 month period.

If you refer any others they will also increase it, so keep us posted if other 'personal' SIMs come from your direction and I'll make a note on your account.

Thanks for the continued support

Kind regards,

Frazer Barnett

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Well Mrs Carpmart and I are into month nine of roaming continuously with our Popit SIM’s in our mobiles. We are still 100% roaming compliant (my Popit score) and we have 30Gb, 5G service and all for £18 per month. These are each used around 20-25gb per month as our main phone Sims.

IMHO, can’t be beaten for long term roaming…. I don’t know any other MVNO where this kind of unencumbered roaming is available.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back