Data Sim

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Littlewheels, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Littlewheels

Littlewheels Funster

Ratings:
    +622
    This is something I need to take a closer look at, Many Thanks

2. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,015
    We bought our 3 12 month sim from MyMemory in Jersey. A few pounds cheaper than Amazon. Currently £27.99.

Denise

3. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Ratings:
    +1,512
    Just an observation on this thread.... We have been in Spain for about four weeks now and using Three in the mifi and Vodafone in my phone.

I always got a good fast 4g signal via Vodafone.es on my phone and patchy 3G signal through various Spanish providers via the Three sim in the mifi.

4. Guigsy

Guigsy Funster

Ratings:
    +244
    When using Three abroad on my phone, I've sometimes find that it doesn't always put you on the best provider. Swapping from the automatically selected network has often given me full bore 4G instead of a trickle of 3G.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. bigalw35

bigalw35 Funster

Ratings:
    +171
    My friend who lives in Germany tells me that you have to have a permanent address before you can use a German SIM card in Germany

6. Doobray

Doobray Funster

Ratings:
    +25
    I stopped using the Mifi and moved to a 3 contract which allows tethering £12 a month for unlimited minutes and texts with 12GB of data. If you buy the 30GB contract it is capped at 12GB in Europe

7. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +472
    Be very wary when using 3 abroad.It used to be capped and they would cut you off when you reached your UK limit.Since June they start to charge if you go over the 12gb to the amount of your contract.It would cost us £60 now if we actually used our full 20gb in Europe.
    If correct and the Vodafone deal allows full usage then it's a better option.Although they might be a lot hotter on the 60 day limit abroad which 3 seem quite casual about.

8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,629
    They can't do that if you don't give them any payment details. We use several 12GB pre-loaded PAYG SIMs. They used to have a 2 month limit for roaming, but now they just stop after 9Gb of roaming on each card. But you can use the remaining 3Gb once you are back in the UK.

9. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,016
    I have a Vodafone phone contract with 16gb data and unlimited calls etc. Been using it exclusively abroad since September. Full allowance and tethering and no restrictions. Will last for the duration of the contract and I have this in writing from them.
    Just sayin!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,629
    Dave, how much are you paying for that please?

11. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,016
    £34 inc a new phone. 24 month contract.

Screenshot_20170722-201827.png

12. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +472
    I was referring to being charged/overcharged if you have a contract with 3........clearly this cannot happen if you use the 12g sims.
    But this "new" Vodafone deal seems ideal........................sadly I have just signed a 24 month contract with 3.
    As I said it will all depend on how hot they are on the amount of time you can spend abroad .........................and if you go over........do they cut you off(which is OK) or start to charge at some ridiculous rate like 3.

13. Busman

Busman Funster

Ratings:
    +2,208
    Hi Peter, not the same Dave but I've got the same Vodafone deal but no phone, calls/text 16g £20pm 12 month contract.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

Ratings:
    +401
    I had the exact same thing last year with a massive bill.
    I rang Three and told them I was missold the sim and they wrote it off.

15. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +472
    I am surprised this happened last year.......................our experience then was that when you reached your contract limit you were cut off until the next monthly allowance.

As has been said many times this has changed since June 15th. Suddenly 3 are "unable" to cut you off at their new 12gb limit and you start to be charged up to your contract limit when they are "able" to cut you off. But not without a hefty bill............... it would cost us £60 to go from their 12gb limit to our 20gb contract.
    Now here I am talking about 3 contract Sims being used abroad................if we mix what we are talking about (data sims, phone sims, PAYG or contract,in Europe or in UK ) then people get the Wrong Information.

I remember my old maths teacher explaining how you could not add apples and oranges and ........well pineapples were a complete mystery.