Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Hi
We are looking to fit a dash camera to our autosleeper Cotswold
Would appreciate some sound advice as to requirements we need it to do.apart from the obvious
Regards
Gordon & Greta

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
GPS is useful to have
I use a roadhawk which was factory refurbished. I couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.
I also bought the hardwire kit as the supplied plug in caused interference on the radio.

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
We have a dash cam that we bought from Halfords (A Nextbase but can't recall the exact model). The resulting film is very good. We have it wired into the vehicle - got the local auto electrician to do the job. I bought the extension cable from the camera manufacturer so worth thinking about when you buy - measure the distance from camera to power source etc.

The only other thing is that it is recommended, by most camera firms that the storage card is re-formatted each month but its just a question of pressing a couple of buttons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
My preference is for GPS and wi fi cameras. I don't feel the need for a screen and are smaller and less obtrusive. You can watch the display anyway via the app. BlackVue for example.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have a Roadhawk in one car and a Nextbase in the other. Both record position (visible on a map using their software on a laptop) and speed. If you're unlucky enough to have an accident and assuming that it's the other person's fault, position and speed can be invaluable evidence for any insurance claim. My Roadhawk earned its spurs within 2 weeks of fitting!
The Roadhawk is not as good as it's price suggests, it was replaced under warranty and the power and GPS lights don't always remain on. I hardwired it.
The Nextbase Pro is very similar, but cheaper and is better in low light/darkness. It has a built-in screen, but you can set it to go off after a few minutes and then it shows a compass and your speed. I have managed to hide most of the cable in both the car and (using a second cable) the MH and the Nextbase is moved to the MH when required.
I now have all three mounts fixed (stuck) to the windscreen. The suction mounts tend to fall off in high temperatures and direct sunlight.
As The Wyman's said, it pays to re-format the card every couple of months.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought and hard wired in a NextBase 512G dashcam which is a good bit of kit with clear video playback.
Our neighbours a few doors down bought the newer and cheaper Nextbase 312GW from Halford and had it fitted and wired in by them in their new motorhome.
Picture quality and playback looked is every bit as as good as mine. It also has a movement monitor that records if it senses anything coming to the camera view while parked up and your away from your van.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-312gw

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just bough a Kiaser Baas R50 only fitted it yesterday so not used it in anger but picture quality looks good. No screen you access it via a smartphone this makes it very small & neat. Has wifi so no need to take the card out to transfer files but does take a while that way.
PC world/Currys have them on offer at the moment for £89.99 (normally £119.99).

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I bought and hard wired in a NextBase 512G dashcam which is a good bit of kit with clear video playback.
Our neighbours a few doors down bought the newer and cheaper Nextbase 312GW from Halford and had it fitted and wired in by them in their new motorhome.
Picture quality and playback looked is every bit as as good as mine. It also has a movement monitor that records if it senses anything coming to the camera view while parked up and your away from your van.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-312gw
I have two, one fitted to my car other to my Van, both hardwired. Real easy job. Bought a 32gb card at the same time. Great pics and easy website to download and view pictures. If I remember I got them from Amazon on a deal.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have recently bought the Apeman C570 (+ 32gb card) because it had good reviews and was half the price of the Nextbase that had been on my wish list. Going to try it out in the MH this weekend.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We use a Nextbase dash cam that cost about £100 (can't remember the numbers) but it has all the features.
It does what we wanted, which is to record our road journeys for "proof" in case of an accident.
Mitch.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just bough a Kiaser Baas R50 only fitted it yesterday so not used it in anger but picture quality looks good. No screen you access it via a smartphone this makes it very small & neat. Has wifi so no need to take the card out to transfer files but does take a while that way.
Did you get rid of the other one ?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I had a lovely Nextbase dash cam for my 60th birthday last December!( what a lucky lady I hear you say!!;))
Well just taken it in with the new van to be hard wired at Halfords, a good bit of kit!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Just bought one off EBay for the same price, the seller is Currys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112497778509

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Bought a Nextbase 312 GW one 6 months ago and its performed really well. The supplied software produces a good video which shows Gps position and speed. Its advised to set the video files to 3 mins but these can be grouped together to show one continuous video. I bought a hard wire kit off E bay and wired it via a piggy back fuse to an ignition live ( indictor fuse ) in the drivers side fuse box. The cable can be hidden behind the windscreen blind runner and the blind cassette at the screen side.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
GPS is useful to have
I use a roadhawk which was factory refurbished. I couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.
I also bought the hardwire kit as the supplied plug in caused interference on the radio.

Road hawk for me also

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Please report promptly after the weekend ;)
OK, after one test journey:

1. The 1080 full HD playback looked very sharp across the whole wide angle. Strong resolution and high contrast. There was some underexposure when pointing into the sun.
2. I never realised that the Remis windscreen blind guides rattle so much. They are the loudest noise picked up by the mic.
3. The user manual is weak so a bit of trial and error is involved in setting up this dashcam.
4. It did get quite hot in the sun but kept working.
5. The suction mount didn't fall off.

So far, so good. It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles but I wanted a simple dashcam. Good value for the price. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OK, after one test journey:

1. The 1080 full HD playback looked very sharp across the whole wide angle. Strong resolution and high contrast. There was some underexposure when pointing into the sun.
2. I never realised that the Remis windscreen blind guides rattle so much. They are the loudest noise picked up by the mic.
3. The user manual is weak so a bit of trial and error is involved in setting up this dashcam.
4. It did get quite hot in the sun but kept working.
5. The suction mount didn't fall off.

So far, so good. It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles but I wanted a simple dashcam. Good value for the price. :)
Thanks for that, just ordered one. :)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I bought a BlackVue over 4 years ago not cheap but stunning picture quality. Used to change it between car and van but in January bought a top of range Nextbase in Halfords sale. My advice would be to purchase the best you can afford and steer clear of all the cheapies currently on sale everywhere. You need one with gps, wifi is good, ability to integrate with Google maps, accelerometer etc all plus points. A screen is not necessary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back