Dangerous to pedestrians towed cars? (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Currently on a site near Malvern, ready for tomorrow, and the number of motorhomes with towed cars is astounding but what is a little concerning is the metal work stuck out from the cars that are driving about. Is it really legal to have two ‘towing eyes’, which are actually big lumps of steel and the centre bit which looks a bit sharp and pointy stuck out the front. Is there not some requirement to remove them or have protection over them before driving?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think you’re right about protruding object on cars. Isn’t that why the jaguars are not on jag cars and the Mercedes emblem folds flat ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Currently on a site near Malvern, ready for tomorrow, and the number of motorhomes with towed cars is astounding but what is a little concerning is the metal work stuck out from the cars that are driving about. Is it really legal to have two ‘towing eyes’, which are actually big lumps of steel and the centre bit which looks a bit sharp and pointy stuck out the front. Is there not some requirement to remove them or have protection over them before driving?
No it is totally illegal.You are meant to remove them whilst using it as a car & refit the covers.
People bolt electric winches on the front of 4x4 that stick out ?
Yes but if they are within the curtilage of the vehicle. i.e they don't extend past the level of the front bumper, they are legal. if the do they are fitted incorrectly & also illegal.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The bit sticking out in the middle may be the connection for the overrun braking system, it is on ours. If you prod it it just bends out of the way as its on a quite floppy flexible cable, not likely to injure anyone.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Could be considered dangerous condition (Con & Use or Road Traffic Act offences). 20 years or more ago you would probably have been prosecuted or given a ticket sooner or later. But these days if you even manage to spot the endangered species know as a traffic policeman, he's probably up to his eyeballs in non-traffic related tasking! It's OK though, because everything is covered by cameras :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Tow bars stick out the back and a bit further than towing eyes , don’t see the problem.
Yes but they don't build them to protect pedestrians with a vehicle going backwards.
But generally you are not reversing at 20+mph

Andrew
Exactly
Yes , glad you told me that ;) and still possible for pedestrians to walk in to.
The requirement is to be able to hit a pedestrians & for them to receive far less injuries froma vehicle travelling forward .That's why cars are built as they are these days . Smooth surfaces,to crumple & protect the pedestrian. Walking in to tow bars, bike racks is just blindness on the walkers part.
I had a neighbour once who knocked to complain they'd fallen over my tow bar. Problem was the trailer was attached to the vehicle at the time:rolleyes::LOL:

The towing eyes left sticking out are the same as driving with a wing torn off . Would be classed as Deneb said

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have covers on them and it has passed it’s MoT but they can be unscrewed. Still see plenty of vehicles with bull bars and they are known to cause injuries.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I think you’re right about protruding object on cars. Isn’t that why the jaguars are not on jag cars and the Mercedes emblem folds flat ?

Jaguar had to move the emblem further back, like 2/3 the way to the windscreen, but I think they were only ever an option, but not on all cars???

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
MOT Criteria up untill very recently was a fail ONLY if the sharp object was there as a direct result of damage or corrosion.
Your damaged or corroded wing would fail,
But your front mounted Buffalo Horns would pass.

I think the new wording says something like anything likely to cause injury. Interpret that as you will
For the record the entire manual has been re written
Offer MOT advice with caution

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Technically speaking , they could be classed as a dangerous projection depending on exact profile , if you were going thru IVA . In some European countries modifying a previously type approved vehicle with other than approved items isn't allowed , so far that hasn't happened here YET!

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I use a Toyota Aygo as a towcar. The car was converted by Tow-bars 2 Tow-cars to allow me to attach our Motorhome via a braked A Frame which conveniently folds up and stores away in a bag. At no time do I or have I ever needed to drive the car without first removing the two screw-in eyelets once the car has been unhitched from the Motorhome. This whole process takes no more than 3-4 minutes and returns the car back to the original livery. Anyone driving around with two dangerous protruding eyelets are negligent and raises the question should they be in charge of a Motorhome and towcar in the first place.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That's a very good question parked up here near Malvern we discussed this, this morning saying how dangerous it is
I'll ask the wife when she gets back from the shops
She's just buggered of in ours with the eyes still in ☠?

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I have two screw-in knuckle joints (Smart Tow system) not much bigger than a towing eye. But I remove them anyway, when not in use for towing, because otherwise they can flap against the bumper.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I guess it is just laziness in not removing them when driving the car. It takes no time at all to remove the towing lugs and put on the plastic caps

It is well known that majority of accidents occur because people cut corners or are too lazy to follow correct procedures.

But hey ho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back