Dad alone (1 Viewer)

teresakneller

Free Member
Jun 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
MH
Hi everyone,

I’ve just stumbled across this site and think it’s just what I’m looking for…

My parent’s own a beautiful Motorhome and have enjoyed travelling around the UK over the past couple of years. However, my Mum passed away suddenly in March so my Dad is now travelling alone. It’s honestly heartbreaking talking to him on the phone each day as he is very lonely whilst away.
He is is 68 and a great man who enjoys a joke but doesn’t have any friends who own Motorhome or travel around. Would anyone have any advice? Or fancy helping me?

Thank you all in advance

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Welcome to fun. Sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. Get your dad to sign up and teach him how to use the forum. Theres always lots of chat going on and several meets all around the country.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to fun. Sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. Get your dad to sign up and teach him how to use the forum. Theres always lots of chat going on and several meets all around the country.
Great advice for teresakneller and his Dad (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome..
Sorry for your loss.
There are many solo travellers on here, through choice or circumstance.
Quite a few meets, shows and rallies take place where he can get the chance to meet others.
Once part of this group you soon get to build up a circle of friends / drinking buddies etc.
£15 for a years membership and as well as allowing access to join us at the meets, there is some great advise and support. (y) (y)

OP
OP
T

teresakneller

Free Member
Jun 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
MH
Hi Teresa,

Maybe encourage your Dad to go to some of the rallies this site runs; we went to our first ones in the New Forest and Thetford recently and everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Best wishes, Teresa.
Do I just find these on the forum?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Oh goodness.. he has only just learned how to use a mobile phone to call 🙈 this website may be a step too far but I’ll try my best to find out what’s going on and pass it onto him.

Maybe you do the web stuff for him and book up for some, then all he has to do is turn up and tell people he's new. We dont bite and I for one will make a point of finding him and saying hello..

Stratford in July is coming up.. Maybe that could be a good first event. Great location.

OP
OP
T

teresakneller

Free Member
Jun 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
MH
Thanks everyone. I’ll have a little look around on here and see whats happening.

How much is a subscription?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
If you scroll right on the blue bar at the top of page there is a link to how much.
Hope it all works out for you both.
:welco: from Merseyside by the way.

OP
OP
T

teresakneller

Free Member
Jun 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
MH
Just want to say hi and hope your dad enjoys this as much as I do and I've just brought my parents a subscription as I find it so interesting at a very old age of 38
Have they found it helpful? Dad is part of the Motorhome club (is that what it’s called?) but it’s all very new being on his own

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Screenshot_20210615-224037_Chrome.jpg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, it could be a whole new way for your dad to enjoy his motorhome you could help him with the forum but as others have said you do need to pay £15 for a year's subscription for that you get unlimited access to the forum and can ask as many questions as you want and joining with the rallies and meets we do have a lot of solo members so your dad certainly wouldn't be the only one.
You get 5 free posts to start and after that you need to pay the £15 annual fee for access to all of the forum, as you can see from our activity the forum a lot of us seasoned motorhomers think it is well worth the money you also get discounts off quite a few firms for things for the Motorhome.
On a lot of devices it can be speech activated so dad wouldn't need to type even,. w2f

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I have found it great to just chat to people but if anything goes wrong or if you break anything or dont know how to do something

Some one on here will have already broken it, had it happen to them or found a answer

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
If you can be his go between until you introduce him to how to browse the forum then put a post up with approximate location? Local Funster will probably be happy to arrive at a club event or a big Warner show in convoy? We would happily do that and I just know others would too.
As an example, before we even opened our roof vents our new neighbors at a recent meet insisted we have a coffee before we started unpacking.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Hi there he would have a warm welcome if he came to Yorkshire!

I'm often a lone male motorhomer as my wife' / kids (4) are not really into it.

I run a fantastic men's shed on a Thursday morning where he could have a coffee with other retired men / widowers.

There are so many places to see up here.

Cheers James

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Hi there he would have a warm welcome if he came to Yorkshire!

I'm often a lone male motorhomer as my wife' / kids (4) are not really into it.

I run a fantastic men's shed on a Thursday morning where he could have a coffee with other retired men / widowers.

There are so many places to see up here.

Cheers James
I'm in Yorkshire next month getting gaslow fitted at autogas 2000 at Thirsk and I might hold you to the cup of coffee or tea 😂

Before I work the Yorkshire tough mudder at the weekend as a paramedic

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Welcome! You will be able to see all the rally’s if your father joins. You could then be the go between booking him on, & see how he goes? The Caravan & Motorhome Club (which is think you may have said he’s a member of) also have local meets, but everyone on here is very friendly! See what he says?

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
I am always singing the praises of this forum to anyone who has not heard of it
lovely genuine helpful people on here
As everyone has mentioned try and get him on here ever one will look after him :giggle:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Welcome to you on your Father's behalf.
As above, "Dad" would be more than welcomed. Also, on the other side the Funsters would welcome input from an experienced person, solo or not.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Do see if you can find a way for your Dad to get involved with MotorhomeFun, we are a friendly bunch and always looking to help each other out.

I've had loads of helpful hints and tips, especially when a problem crops up when travelling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back