Croatia newbies (2 Viewers)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Putin permitting we are thinking of Croatia for a few months this summer .
It’s our first time there so looking for a decent travel blog out there just to get the planning kicked off.

Thanks in advance

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
If you have a good search on here you will find informative bits in various threads, I know as I’ve added some myself. Sorry I cannot remember the titles but they were about Croatia 😊

HERE is one from the first search I did 😜

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
We traveled through Croatia last November, happy to answer any questions if I can.
Generally, wild camping us illegal, some do it and get away with it.
Croatia has some of the best campsites in Europe but, in summer, booking in advance is desirable.
The roads are very good as is the scenery.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
One of the best countries we have traveled. No point if your in a hurry, too much to see and do. Great campsites all down the coast at reasonable prices, 5 years ago anyway. We didn’t pre book but weren’t there in August.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Love Croatia been there numerous times. We prefer the south of the country particularly the Makarska Riviera. Wild camping is not really allowed and Aire type of stops are few. Staying on local peoples land or gardens might be an option. Check out this section of my blog that covers our last trip in detail. Blog works upside down progressing from down to up so you might have to click on the month dates on the right. i think you might find it informative. https://lightningtours.blogspot.com...00-07:00&max-results=7&start=21&by-date=false
Click on 2018 on rt hand side choose month (September starts trip) and then work through each croatian resort. Hope thats clear.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Love Croatia. Some time planing with a map will be well spent, because there are a lot of islands, there are shorter ferries and some bridges that can make quite a big difference. The E65 between Rijeka and Nin hugging the coast is a must for me, so scenic we found an autocamp and road up and down on the scooter. The islands are mostly beautiful, the water is very clear although many of the beaches are quite stony. It is a shame they don't have more Aires but they do have quite a few Autocamps - think small independants Campsites as opposed to some of the former Yugoslavian Holiday Village types. Be aware that they are quite adept at charging extra's even on Acsi:- Supplements for nicer/bigger pitches, pitches with views, late checkouts etc.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We've done most of the islands and to be honest I didn't notice any difference between the islands and the mainland. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth all the hastle and cost to go to the islands with a vehicle. But then thats only my opinion.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We've done most of the islands and to be honest I didn't notice any difference between the islands and the mainland. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth all the hastle and cost to go to the islands with a vehicle. But then thats only my opinion.
I disagree, I think you should do at least some islands, Krk doesnt cost anything if you use the bridge, Rab would be on my list and if you're going to Dubrovnik then The peninslar you cross to is like an island and Korcula is easy.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We paid to cross the bridge onto Krk one way, I think going on, but it was free coming back, lovely island and well worth a visit.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I disagree, I think you should do at least some islands, Krk doesnt cost anything if you use the bridge, Rab would be on my list and if you're going to Dubrovnik then The peninslar you cross to is like an island and Korcula is easy.
Yes done all of those islands you mentioned.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We paid to cross the bridge onto Krk one way, I think going on, but it was free coming back, lovely island and well worth a visit.
I’m sure I read it was now free to cross? I’d better have some kuna ready in case, cos we’re over there in just over 2 month👍

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with Parrot Face, definitely do the islands with connected bridges, but I don't think the islands offer much you can't get easily on the mainland coast, so I too wouldn't bother getting ferries especially if they're pricey.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We did Cres in the 80's on a motorbike. Had to wait on the docks for the waves to subside and go like thunder before the ferry ramp lifted again with the waves, opposite on disembarking.
Once off on the island we had to stop halfway up the hill and hold the traffic up to allow a tortoise to cross the road. Not much on the island but didn't see another Brit the 9 days we were there.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I agree with Parrot Face, definitely do the islands with connected bridges, but I don't think the islands offer much you can't get easily on the mainland coast, so I too wouldn't bother getting ferries especially if they're pricey.
Doing Croatia without doing some islands is like going on a brewery tour and only having a cup of tea IMHO.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Doing Croatia without doing some islands is like going on a brewery tour and only having a cup of tea IMHO.
Interesting, what have you found worthwhile on the islands you take a ferry to that isn't available on the mainland and road connected islands ?
I love the scenery in Croatia but find it very similar throughout having visited several islands (Brac, Havr etc) on 'fly n flop' holidays and toured more extensively in the motorhome.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We did Croatia in 2016. We loved it - here’s the thread:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Interesting, what have you found worthwhile on the islands you take a ferry to that isn't available on the mainland and road connected islands ?
I love the scenery in Croatia but find it very similar throughout having visited several islands (Brac, Havr etc) on 'fly n flop' holidays and toured more extensively in the motorhome.
Why do people bother going to the Isle of Wight? or L'ile de Re or any of the Greek islands? Its because there is something about small island that tends to be a little more laid back, freer somehow, further from work, better views.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well I have to say croatia is a huge disappointment so far BUT let me clarify, we have come cross country from Slovenia and avoided every toll on the way, so no tourist spots as yet, we have come in the back way to Plitvice lakes and quite frankly the roads are shocking (which I thought they would be) most of the villages we have come through look like a war zone!!
We have two nights here to explore the lakes then it’s down to Krk for a week, I’m hoping it gets a bit more civilised and the roads get a bit smoother and wider (anyone selling a sooty van camper)?😉👍
I guess I might have to get my hand in my pocket for the good roads😁😁
I’ll keep you posted if my view of Croatia changes

Jun 12, 2019
West Malling Kent
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Just shows how folks are different, we’ve just done 6 weeks in Croatia and found the roads fine and with the exception of one campsite on Hvar, everywhere else was lovely and with the açsi card we never paid more than £20 a night. Can’t wait to go back!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well I have to say croatia is a huge disappointment so far BUT let me clarify, we have come cross country from Slovenia and avoided every toll on the way, so no tourist spots as yet, we have come in the back way to Plitvice lakes and quite frankly the roads are shocking (which I thought they would be) most of the villages we have come through look like a war zone!!
We have two nights here to explore the lakes then it’s down to Krk for a week, I’m hoping it gets a bit more civilised and the roads get a bit smoother and wider (anyone selling a sooty van camper)?😉👍
I guess I might have to get my hand in my pocket for the good roads😁😁
I’ll keep you posted if my view of Croatia changes
Croatia is stunning. The Istria coastline is well worth exploring with some nice campsites. May and June a great time to visit as high season campsite peices are shocking. Krk is ok .

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Just shows how folks are different, we’ve just done 6 weeks in Croatia and found the roads fine and with the exception of one campsite on Hvar, everywhere else was lovely and with the açsi card we never paid more than £20 a night. Can’t wait to go back!
You haven’t been down the 42 from ogulin to plitvice jezera then? I am expecting the coastline to be spectacular which will make up for the lousy roads to get here👍

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We spend over a week at KRK and Porec, found the roads ok but the sites were not geared up for bigger vans🙁🙁

Never came across any bad roads..

Didn’t think the food was anything special, Croatia is very clean and the locals are very friendly and helpful plus fuel and food cheaper than the EU places.
Would probably not go back to Croatia rather explore Austria more as it was stunning (apart from the hills)😬😬

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We spend over a week at KRK and Porec, found the roads ok but the sites were not geared up for bigger vans🙁🙁

Never came across any bad roads..

Didn’t think the food was anything special, Croatia is very clean and the locals are very friendly and helpful plus fuel and food cheaper than the EU places.
Would probably not go back to Croatia rather explore Austria more as it was stunning (apart from the hills)😬😬
You didn't get down far enough then sadly. Krk is nice but go further down and the scenery and the beaches improve. So many lovely islands and even touristy Dubrovnik has to be experienced. We love Croatia. Austria can be nice but is a pita and the tide goes out too far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back