Correct type of sealant for a fibreglass roof to repair heki roof light? (1 Viewer)

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi,

I've read lots in the tech forum but I am still unsure which is the correct product to use.

The moho roof over the cab is painted white on a fibreglass shell and has some curvature, the heki roof light needs to be resealed.

Do I use a mastic strip, do I use a type of sealant?

Please what is the correct product to use?

Any help and advice would be appreciated...........

Many thanks
Dave

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well I don't know what others would use but in my experience Stixall is a excellent sealant/adhesive which even sticks in the wet, others may suggest Sikaflex but that's a lot more expensive and I don't think any better IMHO.
I stuck my reversing camera on the back of the van with Stixall two and a half years ago and it's still solid with no leaks.(y)(y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I removed the rooflight and all the old gungy silicone that had lifted and was not sealing on our previous van and re-fixed the rooflight on a bed of white SikaLastomer 710 butyl sealant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We also had a roof leak and noted that Thetford recommended a"butyl " type flexible sealant, I didnt realise that sika made one but I have used Everbuild Butyl 145 sealant, its apparently much cheaper, really sticky and non setting at about £5 a tube

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
W4 do an excellent butyl mastic. It comes on a roll in various widths and never sets. Brilliant stuff.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had to take off a fridge vent recently and sealed it again with W4 mastic sealing strip.
It works well and will stick to almost anything. It’s non setting so if you ever need to remove the roof light, you can

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
never fit plastic rooflights using sikaflex or other urethane bonding agents. use butyl mastic strip which ensures a uniform flat seal and is non setting

OP
OP
me you and pogo 2

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi everybody, we have been away for a few days, thank you all for your advice, it's appreciated.

I decided to use the W4 mastic sealing strip and tidied the edges up with Sikaflex EBT and I am pleased with the result.

Thanks once again.
Regards
Dave

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What's wrong with gluing stuff on?
from experience and science, the plastics used in skylight frames etc becomes brittle and starts failing caused by uv light exposure from the sun. then when you need to remove and replace, bonding agents like sikaflex are difficult and destructive to remove

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
from experience and science, the plastics used in skylight frames etc becomes brittle and starts failing caused by uv light exposure from the sun. then when you need to remove and replace, bonding agents like sikaflex are difficult and destructive to remove

Thanks. I've recently replaced my skylights on my PVC conversion because the domes went brittle and one tried to make a break for it on the motorway. The frames were in good nick, but the complete units were virtually the same price as just the domes and a more modern design. The old frames were stuck down with 3 different types of sealant in various states of degradation, so the previous owner had an issue at some point. I think they'd just used bathroom silicon sealant from the look of it. I just took a sharp knife to the gap and ripped the old frames out. It took a while to clean up the old gunk of the roof.

For the replacements I used Sikaflex. I should last 10 years and I shouldn't have a reason for taking the frames out again. I did consider sealing strips, but the van roof is ridged, so I figured a gloopy bonding sealant would give a better seal. I was also worried that strip stuff is more likely to let water sit in cracks and crevices than a beaded sealant. /shruggie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back