retrac25

Free Member
Nov 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elldis autoquest
Exp
First time out
They are the designated site in the South West during lockdown and allow full timers like ourselves
Hi there do you know how I can find which sites are open during lockdown for work full timers is there a website

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
A lot of the carparks in Cornwall are free to National Trust members. You could easily get the cost of your membership back in a couple of weeks :)

Plus they have some beautiful places to visit with ample parking for a moho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi there do you know how I can find which sites are open during lockdown for work full timers is there a website
Hi Retrac

Sorry, do not know of a website, we are led to believe that if you call the C&MC they will give you the numbers of the sites that are open for full timers. Apparently, there may be one for each region, SW, SE, MIDS, NW, NE etc.

Our 'neighbours' on site who live in Falmouth and arrived a few days ago, did this. He is a key worker and needed to move out of his elderly parents house for fear of catching the virus whilst working and passing it on to them.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
They are known as a very strict site so I am surprised that they have allowed visitors, indeed I understood they were closed.
Don't know why you would say "they are known as a very strict site" we have known the owner Simon for years lovely chap and is all his family very friendly and helpful people.
My wife Chris is a Falmouth girl so we know the area very well, we stay at Carnon Downs every year a fantastic part of Cornwall to visit, the bus stop is right outside the site entrance so easy to get to Truro or Falmouth.

A few minutes drive to the King Harry ferry so easy to get to Roseland, you pass Trelissick House on the way to the ferry, a beautiful house with pleasant gardens down to a beach and walks through the woods.
The Punch Bowl and Ladle close by serves excellent food and local beers, you aren't too far from The Pandora Inn another fantastic setting on the River with excellent food.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We watched Rick Stein on Saturday and it prompted us to think about another trip to Cornwall, now that we are not restricted to school holidays.

Looking on Google Maps in the Lands End area drew my attention to Gwynver Beach car park, which has a nearby section marked "Vans only" and seems to be £1.50 per day (no overnight parking).

Just up the road is Trevedra Farm https://trevedrafarm.co.uk/ which looks good and is cheaper than CCC Sennen Cove.

Spotting this thread I decided to collect all of the info, at least the basic bits, into a spreadsheet: HTH.

sitetowncomment
havenperranporth
heliganmevagissy
menehay fmfalmouth
ayr holiday pkst ives
looe camclooe
padstow touringpadstow
carnon downstrurocornwall car hire
chegwyn fmtruro
trewethwtt fmtintagel
sennen cove camcsennen covesteep path
treloanportscathohidden hut lunches
doubletrees fmcarlyon baybeech motors, st austellgood bus to fowey
porthnewquaypub & bus at entry
pentewan sandsmevagissybus stop
mother iyeys baypadstowNOT REC

Gordon

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We watched Rick Stein on Saturday and it prompted us to think about another trip to Cornwall, now that we are not restricted to school holidays.

Looking on Google Maps in the Lands End area drew my attention to Gwynver Beach car park, which has a nearby section marked "Vans only" and seems to be £1.50 per day (no overnight parking).

Just up the road is Trevedra Farm https://trevedrafarm.co.uk/ which looks good and is cheaper than CCC Sennen Cove.

Spotting this thread I decided to collect all of the info, at least the basic bits, into a spreadsheet: HTH.

sitetowncomment
havenperranporth
heliganmevagissy
menehay fmfalmouth
ayr holiday pkst ives
looe camclooe
padstow touringpadstow
chegwyn fmtruro
trewethwtt fmtintagel

Gordon
You can add 'steep paths' to St Ives, Padstow and Looe.

In the case of St Ives, an oxygen tank would also come in handy 🤣

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you have a camper van or a smaller motorhome then
https://www.cornishtipiholidays.co.uk/wild-camping
Is worth a look.

Up in the north of Cornwall, near Port Isaac (Doctor Martin)
It a mostly level site with it's own large lake for swimming, boating, fishing
Facilities are pretty basic, compost loos, and I suspect no EHU
But it does have a fairly popular cafe/bbq on site

Mostly attracts the surfer crowd and wedding parties

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

sitetowncomment
havenperranporth
heliganmevagissy
menehay fmfalmouth
ayr holiday pkst ives
looe camclooe
padstow touringpadstow
chegwyn fmtruro
trewethwtt fmtintagel

Gordon
Trevedra Farm is where we stayed at Sennen Cove. We booked it through the CMC as it is a 'filliated site but you can book directly with them if not a CMC member. The walk on the path to Sennen village isn't difficult but I think the only time to visit this area, if you can, is well out of season. It is very popular. :)

You can see Cape Cornwall from the site, which featured in the Rick Stein program on the bit about that amazing painter but it is about 6km away and getting there on the coastal footpath would be a demanding walk. You could reach it via inland paths but I would recommend some sort of walking gps or OS Maps on your phone which was what I used. Some of the paths are not well marked and we came across one which had clearly been deliberately blocked by the farmer.

Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
I’ve never been to Cornwall
Obviously subject to us all being in a better place with Covid, looking to spend a couple of weeks down there this coming summer

Thinking few days each at a couple of sites with a Toad or a Hire car to “explore”

Got no kids or dogs and dont need a bar on site, but not averse to paying good money for a good site

Would like to be able to walk to a coastal village/town on days when not exploring by little car

Any 1st hand recommendations?

Thanks in anticipation
There is a site with wonderful views halfway between Looe and Polperro called west way land with some great walks along to coast paths and it is very reasonable with its prices

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a site with wonderful views halfway between Looe and Polperro called west way land with some great walks along to coast paths and it is very reasonable with its prices
Must be this place. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Nov 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
I live in Cornwall but also take our MH to a Cornwall site for 2 or 3 weeks every year. Subject to Covid etc if you are thinking of visiting from May onwards the only thing I would say is book now. Even in normal times it is busy but this year will be even busier because folk will choose a staycation or because of the 2020 bookings which have been postponed to 2021 because of Covid. I do not particularly look forward to Summer in Cornwall because for me it is just too busy.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
As someone posted earlier, we also tend to stay oh CCC Temporary Holiday Sites.

Harlyn Bay is a large site with club house and swimming pool near Padstow (but follow the recommended route: first time round we didn't!). This operates during summer holidays.
St Ives Rugby Club is at the top of the steep climb out of St Ives BUT it is (was?) also the terminus for Park & Ride: when we did it many years ago it cost 50p down and £1 up - well worth it and hopefully now free with our OAP passes :smiley:
Pentewan Sands was the first place I ever had a tent holiday (age 14) and we stayed there a couple of years ago with Cornwall Motor Caravan group. I think it was £10pn inc EHU, we were 2nd row from the beach and there was a free fireworks display on Sat night (end of season celebration with donations to a local charity; daytrippers paid £10 parking).
IF you are a CCC member it is definitely looking at the weekend meets especially operated by BCC as they offer remarkable value for money.

We did stay at Looe CAMC: bus stop outside the gates but we drove down into town and parked at West Looe Car Park, overlooking the Mill Pond. A short walk into the shops and beach.

We also had a night at Veryan CCC: very peaceful.

Having now watched the Susan Calway (?) programme we don't think we'll be watching any more: presumably a bit like Marmite! :rolleyes:

Gordon

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If you have a camper van or a smaller motorhome then
https://www.cornishtipiholidays.co.uk/wild-camping
Is worth a look.

Up in the north of Cornwall, near Port Isaac (Doctor Martin)
It a mostly level site with it's own large lake for swimming, boating, fishing
Facilities are pretty basic, compost loos, and I suspect no EHU
But it does have a fairly popular cafe/bbq on site

Mostly attracts the surfer crowd and wedding parties
7 metre coachbuilt with TOAD on back ??

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
7 metre coachbuilt with TOAD on back ??

Sure, no problem, as long as you can reverse it.
200meters, up hill around bends with a 2.5meter width restriction, in the dark.

If you cant reverse more than a few meters, then the number of campsites in Cornwall are limited, if you have not driven there before, aside from the A and B roads, most of the rest are limited to under 7m motorhomes without a trailer/TOAD, even then you are going to scratch the sides and you have to watch for overhanging trees.

Having said which, the Tipi campsite is within 1 mile of the Atlantic Highway, and by Cornish standards it's a wide and straight road (single track with a few 90 degree bends of course), just hope you don't meet a tractor coming the other way !

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
Must be this place. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Yes you have nailed it it is West Wayland and very easy to find and even the largest rigs can get in easily

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Im with bailey, i like porth beach, you can walk into newquay and the bus stops outside, its near the beach and if your with campin and caravaning club they do temp sites there ive done both and been a few times ....its nice:)caught a bus outside to padstow(rick steins chippy) caught a coach in newquay called magical mystery tours(painted black and hippyish , that was good fun) and its not too far to walk into newquay go for a drink and get a taxi back wish i was there now

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Oooh I have just remembered another lovely site!

Gwithian Farm not far from Hayle. Lovely site with a fabulous pub at the end of the driveway. 10 minute walk to the beach.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Another vote for Polmanter. Have been a few times, only downside is as has been said before, the return walk from St Ives if the bus is not running.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back