Cornwall Sites (7 Viewers)

Jan 3, 2021
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2003
Like others have said, I would recommend Pentewan Sands, coastal path (steep up and down!) walk to Mevagissey and lovely pub two minutes walk in the village. If you're lucky you could get a pitch five yards from the beach.
Heligan Camping is adjacent to the Lost Gardens which has a good farm shop. Again, a steep walk down the hill into Meva. The hard bit is walking back.
Be warned, there are some very steep hills if you're walking or biking.
I've done a bit of research and most of the sites are hoping to re-open the last weekend in March, but who knows where we'll be by then.
Like "Just Smiffy" I might decide to rent out my driveway for the summer - space for two campers, water, drainage, EHU. No swimming pool or jacuzzi but do have a pond and nice sunbathing area.
Now, if people would like to start a bidding war - what price should we start at ...?!!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Like others have said, I would recommend Pentewan Sands, coastal path (steep up and down!) walk to Mevagissey and lovely pub two minutes walk in the village. If you're lucky you could get a pitch five yards from the beach.
Heligan Camping is adjacent to the Lost Gardens which has a good farm shop. Again, a steep walk down the hill into Meva. The hard bit is walking back.
I've done a bit of research and most of the sites are hoping to re-open the last weekend in March, but who knows where we'll be by then.
Like "Just Smiffy" I might decide to rent out my driveway for the summer - space for two campers, water, drainage, EHU. No swimming pool or jacuzzi but do have a pond and nice sunbathing area.
Now, if people would like to start a bidding war - what price should we start at ...?!!
I'll start at a Ā£1 a week šŸ¤£

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I think I would prefer your drive to Pentewan Sands, not my choice of sites but I guess if you are a beachy type person you might enjoy it. I prefer Little Winnick Touring Park, much more civilised. Bus stop just outside the site and a pleasant level 10/15 minute walk along the river and through the woods to the beach and pub.
ezee

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Those with driveway or parking spaces can always join the MCC's "Safe Knights"
ezee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
THANKS TO EVERYONE- ROAD TRIP FOR FIRST 2 WEEKS IN JULY BOOKED
Covid permitting obvs.

Starting with long haul drive down to Eden project area and meandering back via St Ives, Newquay, Padstow,Tintagel,Woolacombe and back along nth Devon to M5

Thanks for all suggestions

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2003
Enjoy your trip. Carlyon Bay campsite is one of the nearest to Eden, although there are a couple of farm-type campsites also.
I hope things are all right for all of us by July.

Jan 3, 2021
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2003
I think I would prefer your drive to Pentewan Sands, not my choice of sites but I guess if you are a beachy type person you might enjoy it. I prefer Little Winnick Touring Park, much more civilised. Bus stop just outside the site and a pleasant level 10/15 minute walk along the river and through the woods to the beach and pub.
ezee
Yes, Pentewan Sands is a bit big for a lot of people. I actually like the pub nearby!
Little Winnick is nice and much quieter.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Fyi everyone - Trewethett already fully booked for July
Nice one hopefully your get some good weather and see some great sunsets from there.
115BC12D-9938-486E-BDAC-AEC78009A2C8.jpeg

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Enjoy your trip. Carlyon Bay campsite is one of the nearest to Eden, although there are a couple of farm-type campsites also.
I hope things are all right for all of us by July.
Me too šŸ‘

Jul 14, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2020
Thanks Cheshirecat57 for the original post.
I was in the middle of planning a trip to Cornwall for September and the suggestions posted have been great! Saved me so much time and pointed me in the right direction, so a big thanks to all you Cornwall experts!
Pleased to say we start our adventure at Trewethett, Yay! But I did book this site before Christmas. Moving on to Carnon Downs then on to Little Winnick.
Something to look forward to!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks Cheshirecat57 for the original post.
I was in the middle of planning a trip to Cornwall for September and the suggestions posted have been great! Saved me so much time and pointed me in the right direction, so a big thanks to all you Cornwall experts!
Pleased to say we start our adventure at Trewethett, Yay! But I did book this site before Christmas. Moving on to Carnon Downs then on to Little Winnick.
Something to look forward to!
I am so envious! I go to Cornwall for at least 3 weeks every year and try to go to different places each time.

There are so many beautiful places to see but it's lovely to re-visit old favourites and see very old friends (Rex and Marie šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ )

This year, I am going to the opposite side of the country. Well, that's the plan.......... šŸ˜‚

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We watched Rick Stein on Saturday and it prompted us to think about another trip to Cornwall, now that we are not restricted to school holidays.

Looking on Google Maps in the Lands End area drew my attention to Gwynver Beach car park, which has a nearby section marked "Vans only" and seems to be Ā£1.50 per day (no overnight parking).

Just up the road is Trevedra Farm https://trevedrafarm.co.uk/ which looks good and is cheaper than CCC Sennen Cove.

Spotting this thread I decided to collect all of the info, at least the basic bits, into a spreadsheet: HTH.

sitetowncomment
havenperranporth
heliganmevagissy
menehay fmfalmouth
ayr holiday pkst ives
looe camclooe
padstow touringpadstow
carnon downstrurocornwall car hire
chegwyn fmtruro
trewethwtt fmtintagel
sennen cove camcsennen covesteep path
treloanportscathohidden hut lunches
doubletrees fmcarlyon baybeech motors, st austellgood bus to fowey
porthnewquaypub & bus at entry
pentewan sandsmevagissybus stop
mother iyeys baypadstowNOT REC

Gordon
This is great.
Please will you consider going to France & Spain next?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
THANKS TO EVERYONE- ROAD TRIP FOR FIRST 2 WEEKS IN JULY BOOKED
Covid permitting obvs.

Starting with long haul drive down to Eden project area and meandering back via St Ives, Newquay, Padstow,Tintagel,Woolacombe and back along nth Devon to M5

Thanks for all suggestions
North Devon

A39 The Atlantic Highway
It's a superb road (as can be seen by the number of bikers that do it)
I'd recommend the full length, Indian Queens to Bridgewater.
It's as bendy as an alpine pass in places, and Porlock Hill is the steepest A road in England (or the UK ?)
For Ā£5 you can bypass the really steep hill and take the toll road, which is impressive as well. Make sure you know how to use your gears!

You can add Bude, Clovelly, Porlock, Minehead, Dunster to your stop off and look at list

Dec 6, 2016
Wigan
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Over40 years
We would love to add Cornwall to our list of places to visit but are not sure about the feasibility in an A class. What are people's experiences of this please?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We would love to add Cornwall to our list of places to visit but are not sure about the feasibility in an A class. What are people's experiences of this please?
I did it in a 9m tag axle last year.
If you plan your route and also take it steady, you'll be fine.
We did have an issue when my wife read the map to the campsite upside down and insisted we turned left instead of right. (I'd google street viewed it before we set off and was sure it was right but she insisted!)
It took us on a very steep gradient, had a few hair pin bends whereby I had to bend tree branches back and pull mirrors in before climbing a steep incline, which all in all added an extra 45mins on, but apart from that and the tractors who don't seem to want to give way or pull over, you'll be fine.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have lived close by Carnon Downs for the best part of 20 years, another site to consider is Cosawes Park just a little further down the road towards Falmouth. A residential site but has a well rated touring park and further off the A39, may get less booked up than the others. For car hire Hertz have a branch at Truro Station which is convenient and they are excellent ,or, treat yourself and rent a morgan sports car from Perranwell Garage! Lots of local taxi companies.
Bear in mind the G7 conference is coming to Carlyon Bay and Falmouth maritime museum in June so I would avoid that if possible.
Always happy to help with information.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Can we get back to my thread please
Did devon Cornwall last July
Sites used where Cheddar, Boscastle,
Sennen cove, Heligan, Looe, and Wood farm just in Dorset.
As some have mentioned its downhill from most sites but we would walk down in morning and get bus back in most cases.
Just posted some pics on the sunny pics threat if interested.

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
I used to own the old Mill in the valley between trewethett farm and tintagel, we ran a restaurant in the Mill house and encouraged visitors from trewethett farm to walk down for a meal and then I'd take them back to the campsite in my car, the footpath was quite dangerous in the dark. Fantastic views from the campsite

Jan 3, 2021
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2003
Bear in mind the G7 conference is coming to Carlyon Bay and Falmouth maritime museum in June so I would avoid that if possible.
Not Carlyon Bay - that's St Austell. It's Carbis Bay at St Ives, 11-13 June. Be a good time and place to avoid.

Contrary to popular belief, we do have roads in Cornwall ! :giggle: I had a 7.4m A class which was fine to drive to most places around here. I did, however, downsize to a narrower campervan mainly because I like to drive in France and often seem to find the narrow streets in little villages when I'm not looking for them!

You'll be very welcome here when it's allowed again, and using Google Streetview before you leave like GAVLAD suggested is a very good idea. Enjoy your holiday! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back