Continental MH's with habitation door on the 'wrong' side. (1 Viewer)

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Well my one and only door is on the wrong side and it has only been a problem twice when I had no option and had to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway and it was scary opening the door and putting the steps down and getting out with all the lorries thundering past.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Since '73,only had to turn a unit around once on site for the door on the continental side................... Pinewoods. Wells next the sea...... PRIVATE Yes,Private site. So,"Get it Bought !!"
Tea Bag. User of all types of sites and drinker of Stella Artois/Conde Noble Vinho tinto and whatever else is going...Hic!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
not an issue under normal circumstances. did end up on the motorway ( UK ) hard shoulder on an occasion and had to be mindful of exiting the van via passenger door. but you would consider the same from the drivers door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Last 3 vans all had door on the wrong side as you call it never had a problem in 9 years and we used to use CC sites a lot never use them nowadays but even in RVs never had a problem with door position.
Don't worry about it buy the van that suits you best.
Some people just love imagining problems bit like LHD is a problem or LHD is worth less money. Yeah right :doh::rofl: don't listen to em.(y)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
No problem at all with our Rapido since we spend much time on the Continent . Every now and then in the UK a CC warden will instruct us to park differently but that has never been a problem either since in the UK we mostly use CL s .

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Well my one and only door is on the wrong side and it has only been a problem twice when I had no option and had to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway and it was scary opening the door and putting the steps down and getting out with all the lorries thundering past.
Eeek! Ours has 2 cab doors as well as hab so won't have that problem but made mental note now that if we do change motorhome one day that we need a door on each side.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our door is on the "correct" for UK side, but we spend a lot of time in France, where it is the "wrong" side.

Never really found any problem. As others have said, if you have to stop at the roadside, use the cab doors. I realise this may not work with some A class units but, with panel vans and C class, it should be no problem.

Enjoy!

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
During a six week tour of Europe last year we only had one issue on a Swiss site. On that one all plots were planned for MHs to reverse onto them leaving room on the right to exit hab door and pull out an awning. As our hab door is on the left (the proper side) we would have exited onto the next plot. Fortunately the site was quiet so the owner allowed us to use two plots because MHs weren't permitted to park nose in. I was very surprised when they said that this was the first time they had had a MH with a door on the left. Other than this occasion we have not had any problems at all.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's a non-issue except for one club site warden - who wasn't very happy until he realised we could still reverse on to the pitch (as per policy) and not compromise the spacing as we weren't going to put an awning up.

If we are parked in a layby or on the side of the road we exit via the cab doors - usually the passenger door.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Some years ago an EU caravan with the door on the wrong side visited Dartmoor and a female occupant stepped out straight into oncoming traffic and was killed. Other than that I've not heard of any other such incidents. However each week when parking I do try to park facing the wrong way so the door is kerbside making it easier (and safer) for my BH to load and unload.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
double edit = the smoking reference was not a wind up, I really don't like it

If people want to smoke that is up to them but I don't like tobacco smoke around me as I have a lung problem and would prefer not to take risks I can avoid. If someone is smoking it is me that has to avoid them as it is me that has the problem :)

This is a good forum.

Totally agree!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If people want to smoke that is up to them but I don't like tobacco smoke around me as I have a lung problem and would prefer not to take risks I can avoid. If someone is smoking it is me that has to avoid them as it is me that has the problem
Ironically, smoking is the only time I park up road side. As I may have previously posted. I will stop and have a cuppa and a crafty smoke about halfway on my journeys. Strangely the only time I smoke is whilst driving, and I hate the smell, so I always stop and go outside.

So maybe there's the answer, if you smoke, the habitation door must be on the correct side :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Ironically, smoking is the only time I park up road side. As I may have previously posted. I will stop and have a cuppa and a crafty smoke about halfway on my journeys. Strangely the only time I smoke is whilst driving, and I hate the smell, so I always stop and go outside.

So maybe there's the answer, if you smoke, the habitation door must be on the correct side :)

If I saw you smoking I would just move on :) But with the light breezes we get up here (generally blowing a hoolie) I don't think it would affect me that much anyway.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If I saw you smoking I would just move on :) But with the light breezes we get up here (generally blowing a hoolie) I don't think it would affect me that much anyway.
I never smoke at site, only on the road ;-) my last act of rebellion :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - I well remember going on a local CC rally, and when the Marshall realised we were continental he said 'Hang on!' and just moved ours and all the remaining pegs over a bit. I miss that abroad now with the Pilote as with the Swift we always got to know our neighbours wherever we were, a lot easier and quicker than when doors don't face.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Can be a bit of an issue when pitching on Caravan Club sites or CC rallies with some wardens :( other than that never had any problems with our Chausson.

You beat me to it W!;)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
As I might have said before most CC and C&CC wardens are just grateful I haven't demolished too much of the site getting to the plot, and wisely don't insist on too much more manoeuvring on my part :rolleyes::whistle::rolleyes:

Nice!:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
A non issue and we have never had a problem on a CC site, I never understand why some on here let CC wardens tell them how to park their motorhomes, they just need reminding who the customer is. (y) Oh and welcome to FUN.

Like the post David and I'm no shrinking violet but the options on the three occasions it's arisen have 'appeared' to be move or move on.(n) Mrs BB is sometimes a wilting flower so I don't like to upset her by questioning why a paying guest is being forced to adopt acceptable 'caravan' practices in a motorhome that clearly doesn't fit the particular inflexible rule being enforced. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both our van have been Hymers never had any problems. Which ever side of the channel try to avoid stopping laybys that are directly on the road as if having a brew not pleasant the van rocking with every car that goes by.
If going for an A Class, a drivers door is an optional extra on most, well worth having otherwise you only have a single habitation door.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just to add to the wind-up, I know that now, just 5 or so years after the recession, is not the time to afford it, but I think the UK should switch to driving on the right, like most of the world does. :rolleyes:

Some might think it useful to maintain old ways and drive on the same side as the 'colonies' so that there is no moment of angst when visiting the far side of the world, but let's be realistic; wouldn't it improve road safety if continental lorries didn't have a huge blind spot when pulling out on motorways (and ours when over there); increase efficiency if the European motor industry didn't have to run two production formats.
Surely common sense dictates that many more British drivers are likely to drive in France Germany or Spain etc., than are likely to drive in India, Japan, New Zealand, Australia or Samoa? Let's make life easier for ourselves.

I just wish we had switched at the same time as Sweden in 1967. (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Having had both, I don't think it really matters what side your door is on :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Our Chausson with door on French side has caused no problems at all. In fact it, sits the right way on the drive for easy in and out of the hab door.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the first motorhome i owned had the hab door at the back,wish the one i had now was the same,so convenient when parking in tight carparks(y)

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In 10 years have not had a problem with RHS door and this is our only door!

We just ignore the few wardens that tell us which way round to park, non have challenged us.

As we do about 50% of our mileage on the Continent we will for 50% of the time have a door on the wrong side!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back