Continental MH's with habitation door on the 'wrong' side. (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Thanks all for your responses.

This is a good forum.

Sorry, that's wrong..... This is the BEST forum ! .... BTW, welcome aboard.
The "door" issue is something that one adopts to, the gearstick has the letter "R" on it, it's for putting the door on the "right" side !..... unless broken down on a motorway that is. :rolleyes:

Just to add to the wind-up, I know that now, just 5 or so years after the recession, is not the time to afford it, but I think the UK should switch to driving on the right, like most of the world does. :rolleyes:
Now, quit when you're ahead ! :clap:
Starting threads like that could be akin to 'Benidorm' or 'Gassing' and could grow legs like you wouldn't believe.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Nooo....I think JeanLuc correct, changing road system to continental is just the kind of physcal stimulation we need to get the country back to work! and we could probably abolish benefits system on the back of it ( forced labour, all the fatties etc...) and have a happier health nation, vehicle price will fall as a result as well, we would be quids in:D

+ it would end nonsense threads like this:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Agree with most on here the only time that it might be a light inconvenience is when getting out at the roadside as there is no mirror to check for traffic but all passengers simply use the door against the kerb. More of an inconvenience for me are coachbuilts without a drivers door but I guess you can get used to everything if all other features match what you want.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have a so called uk m/home. the only time we had a problem when at cc site when to put us into a cap between two big rvs . the warden gave up and said any way you want. it gave both rvs a good laugh. he made them nose in

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Im now on with my fourth van with offside entry. Only problem in nearly 30 years is the Caravan Club. As it is a motor home and the CC is not very motor home friendly I always expect the resident commandant to rear his machine gun mouth. Problems are always which way to park and how near the hedge I could be. Makes me sick how some wardens can spoil a nice break.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I usually ask the warden when I book in and before I park up pointing out that the hab door is behind the driver. Only the once had a grumpus and that was only a wee storm in a egg cup.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Never had a problem but only been doing it 2 years, as most of the other posts have said be careful when parked by the roadside.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
More of an inconvenience for me are coachbuilts without a drivers door

I don't believe I've ever seen a coachbuilt without a drivers door.

The van I have just sold is continental and has the door on the "wrong" side as you see it. The reason I bought it was that the door was there. The vans I'm looking for now are new or nearly new and I won't entertain one that has the door on the "right" side. This time though I will definitely go for a left hand drive, but that is not as straight forward as you might think when looking at "New" vans.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't believe I've ever seen a coachbuilt without a drivers door.
Most A Class vans the drivers door is an option, most buyers have the option usually included in a pack that you are unlikely to buy the van without. I have seen a few vans without one but not many.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
My vans door is on the wrong side, and hasn't made any issue at all for us.

More of an issue is the hab door electric step when parked at the kerbside, coz I can't put it down as it goes too low and hits the kerb. This leaves us with a big jump down to the pavement ...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well our old English van was shorter so we parked it on the front drive to the right of the house and garden - hab door handy.

Now we have a French van and it's longer, if we parked it on the drive we couldn't then get any other vehicle in off the road and it's double yellow lines. So we drive in cornerwise across the other tarmacked parking area and actually in front of the house but we live on the back anyway - and the hab door's still just as handy!

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
No problems for us. Reverse onto our drive so door correct for us loading/exiting etc. Much prefer our continental mh whilst touring in mainland Europe as when parking on Aires we are correct door wise. As we don't camp much in UK due to camp site prices it isn't an issue.

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
+ it would end nonsense threads like this:giggle:

Well thanks for your input.

Sorry if you feel the thread I started is a nonsense, It was a genuine question born out of wanting to avoid making an expensive mistake. I'd noticed in a recent article in MMM that Benimar had started to supply vans with doors on the UK side which implied they felt it was/could be an issue for UK buyers. This in part prompted the question.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
recent article in MMM that Benimar had started to supply vans with doors on the UK side which implied they felt it was/could be an issue for UK buyers

I should think they see it as a Unique Selling Point rather than a real need, that would give them an edge for a small additional outlay, to those buyers who don't intend using continental Europe as a destination.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I think it is a very sensible question from someone buying their first MH. We talked about it when buying the chausson, i searched on here and no one seemed to think it a problem. We like to park nose out but if the pitches are tight and our neighbour is close then we will go nose in. Or we take our chairs and sit on the other side. But what i don't understand is why i can't pitch in the very centre of CC pitch? We have no awning or car so why not :-(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Sorry if you feel the thread I started is a nonsense, It was a genuine question born out of wanting to avoid making an expensive mistake.

Heavens....lighten up, it was a bit of banter:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am aware of that on "a" class motorhomes, the comment was about Coachbuilts which as far as I'm aware are "C" class.
A Class is a Coachbuilt, any van where the body is built by the converter is a coach built, to be pedantic an A Class is a true Coachbuilt where as a C Class is only part Coachbuilt.:)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
A Class is a Coachbuilt, any van where the body is built by the converter is a coach built, to be pedantic an A Class is a true Coachbuilt where as a C Class is only part Coachbuilt.:)

Well I totally agree with you but the industry it seems does not, whenever I talk to dealer staff about "coachbuilts" they talk back about "C" class.

Anyway enough pedantry, I buy vans with doors on the wrong/RHside.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
IMO... It's a Non issue ...

actually, never had a motor home with the hab door on the 'right' side .... mine have either been German or American vans

my new van will also have the hab door on the 'wrong' side..

Same here. I've had caravans left- & right- handed as well. It has never been an issue - in fact on occasion it can be handy when siting with friends because if their door is UK side both doors and wind-out awnings face each other. Which can be rather sociable.:)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009

Sorry if you feel the thread I started is a nonsense, It was a genuine question born out of wanting to avoid making an expensive mistake. I'd noticed in a recent article in MMM that Benimar had started to supply vans with doors on the UK side which implied they felt it was/could be an issue for UK buyers. This in part prompted the question.

Would that be Left, Centre, Left of centre, Right, Right of centre, or just totally f****** Looney left and on the roof???

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh I see a James Bond exit on the roof. now why did not see that coming.

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Not at all old son...

This could be considered a satirical assessment of left wing history...

Or phishing for response...

Take your pick, old son...

..... It's niether. It's just an attempt to derail a perfectly ordinary unrelated thread that has nothing to do with our obvious political differences.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back