Considering remapping Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 Auto 6 Speed? Help?

jimbo82

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
I'm considering getting a remap it's only done 5000 miles, wondering with the 6-speed auto box is it worth getting the remap it's not the greatest of gearbox but you get used to it after a bit... I was toldncould get to 160 BHP from the map but wondered if it would be ok with the auto gearbox?

f6c

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
24 Years
Let the engine loosen up first. Mine took till it reached 15K miles. Much better response. If your not happy re-map but check with your insurers first.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jimbo82

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Thanks for that yeah it might be worth waiting a bit I was just so disappointed with the performance also the box is painful at times especially between first and second wondering if it is just a normal trait of this particular 6-speed automatic box

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for that yeah it might be worth waiting a bit I was just so disappointed with the performance also the box is painful at times especially between first and second wondering if it is just a normal trait of this particular 6-speed automatic box
That is normal on the Comfomatic also they are know not to perform quite as well with the 130. We have had two both with the 150 engine 2014 & 2017 both sluggish between 1st & 2nd generally the later one is a lot smoother.

The gearbox softwear is set up to work with a fully run in engine which Fiat consider to be 15,000 miles. I've found engine & box much better after 10,000 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jimbo82

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Thanks for your response, really helpful information in this group... It's KNAUS Fiat Ducato 2017. So I'm guessing to hold off from getting remapping from 130 to160 bhp, I suppose 5000 miles is barely run in...

I have one other issue that some of you guys might have experience with... It takes a long time to start occasionally after it's been run for a bit... I was thinking maybe battery or starter motor it's only done 5000 miles but it could also be the battery 5-year old??

Any recommendations where to get service and habitation at the same time (North West England) or I don't mind travelling a bit further afield for a recommended Fiat technician for servicing the engine and gearbox?

Cheers

James

Upvote 0

gradyp

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Thanks for your response, really helpful information in this group... It's KNAUS Fiat Ducato 2017. So I'm guessing to hold off from getting remapping from 130 to160 bhp, I suppose 5000 miles is barely run in...

I have one other issue that some of you guys might have experience with... It takes a long time to start occasionally after it's been run for a bit... I was thinking maybe battery or starter motor it's only done 5000 miles but it could also be the battery 5-year old??

Any recommendations where to get service and habitation at the same time (North West England) or I don't mind travelling a bit further afield for a recommended Fiat technician for servicing the engine and gearbox?

Cheers

James

Have a look at these , I've used in past and looked after

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jimbo82

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Cheers for the information any recommendations on how often I should get the automatic gearbox fluid changed I'm a bit concerned about the reliability factors with this particular gearbox I was considering putting a towbar on but I don't fancy towing anything with it... the new 9-speed looks so much better box

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jimbo82

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jimbo82

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Thanks I'll look into these guys I have seen them advertised online...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cheers for the information any recommendations on how often I should get the automatic gearbox fluid changed I'm a bit concerned about the reliability factors with this particular gearbox I was considering putting a towbar on but I don't fancy towing anything with it... the new 9-speed looks so much better box
Filled for life but I have seen it recomended to change it at 60,000.
It's a manual gearbox operated by electrics & hydraulics.

More important is to get the clutch fluid changed regularly, it has a common reservoir with the brakes and when they change the brake fluid a lot of garages don't bother bleeding the clutch slave cylinder as a bit of a pig to do. This can lead to premiture failure of clutch and the DMF.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The Comfortmatic is mechanically the same as the 6 speed manual. Just there are actuators to run the clutch and shift the lever. It's a robotised manual rather than a torque converter auto.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Check the ECU software versions - if its not been serviced in the Fiat network, the ECU may not have been updated. My MY20 (160ps manual) was updated early 2022 and massively improved drivability. (I was on the verge of getting a rolling road as it just didn't feel 160ps which is supposed to have full torque from 1500rpm - and it was struggling in 6th esp on hills. Now, it pulls like a train and loves 6th gear)

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Check the ECU software versions - if its not been serviced in the Fiat network, the ECU may not have been updated. My MY20 (160ps manual) was updated early 2022 and massively improved drivability. )
Is it twin egr or adblue? do you know the software versions.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The comformatic 130 has the stronger M40 gearbox used in 150,180 models rather than the std 130 box an clutch. Another difference between 130 and 150 models.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Can I ask what downsides there are to re-mapping, if any? I'm quite happy with my 140hp Fiat 9 speed auto but not yet done any serious mileage fully loaded. I see here that the recommendation is to get at least 10-15k miles on engine (so a way to go for me). What is the the rough cost, will it effect any Fiat warranty (if any left), and what is the general reaction of the insurers? When going in for a service, do you need to tell the garage it's been mapped? (sorry, not trying to hijack this thread)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Can I ask what downsides there are to re-mapping, if any? I'm quite happy with my 140hp Fiat 9 speed auto but not yet done any serious mileage fully loaded. I see here that the recommendation is to get at least 10-15k miles on engine (so a way to go for me). What is the the rough cost, will it effect any Fiat warranty (if any left), and what is the general reaction of the insurers? When going in for a service, do you need to tell the garage it's been mapped? (sorry, not trying to hijack this thread)
Yes, it can effect warranty as ultimately you are changing fueling and mixture levels, possibly removing software limitations.
Yes, updates can be seen (ECU records how many flashes etc)
Normal garages won't care.

Mine, 160ps, I know the Fiat maps restricts the torque as the curve is flat and managed from 1500rpm. And you can see, depending on the gearbox that the torque varies. A remap may well increase your torque/power - but ask WHY fiat have this limit on? You may be fine, but the limit is "protecting" the drivetrain longevity and putting in more torque than permitted may feel great but the chances of breaking something else increases. Your choices :)

Some may argue "its detuned for emissions only" and there is some truth in that, but thats not the main restriction.

Whilst people say "there isn't much difference between a 120 and 180 engine, its the same block and its just Fiat charging more for the tune as I can get 180 out of my 120 engine" etc - its not quite true lol. Ancillaries vary massively, like turbo sizes/spec; cooling is upgraded; and the engine internals can be different and strengthened.

Also bear in mind these engines are finikity when it comes to fueling, and even fiats on original maps got it wrong - the over fueling (apparently) caused the LP EGR to block, caused damage to the DPF and possibly injectors resulting in £££££££ bills if you can get it fixed at all. The fix is replacing lots of components and updating ECU to latest version. So, do you trust your mappers hunt for "max power" to get this right and not over fuel and cause these issues years down the line?

I'm sure some will swear by tunes and some will be fine. I'm sure many never have (notice) issues. But I'm sure there are many pain points further down the line.

Ultimately its down to your perception of need vs risk. Me, I would never touch the tune on these vans, and its the only vehicle I put in branded fuel whilst doing a rain dance asking the gods to be kind. :) And its the only vehicle that goes to a branded Fiat Pro dealer for servicing as I know they will update/manage the updates, and I know the last time they did the service the van was much better.
curva-motore-img-taglio_4.png

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
What size wheels do you have. I changed from a MH with 15" wheels to the same size engine with 16" wheels and I am underwhelmed with the performance, having to change down on the slightest motorway gradient.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
List of Local remappers that I can find:

Remapping Newcastle (Washington) from £250
Quantum (1000+ centers) don't list my year £299
Celtic Tuning .....................................Ring for quote
Parker automotive remaps Newcastle - Ring
Total Tuning and Remaps Washington - Ring

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
The garage I use for servicing are agents for Viezu tuning. I asked him about a remap for my Fiat 2.3 130hp with comfortmatic. He said he wouldn't touch it. No doubt there are plenty have done it but when he said that it made me have second thoughts. Mine is just coming up on 10,000 miles and it's definitely getting better.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
We have the 2.3. 150 comformatic in our Burstner Iexo 730. Now has 18000 miles a lot easier than when new. We have found its actually quicker to pull away if we don’t press the accelerator down to hard as it holds in first a bit longer but has to wait for the revs to die down before engaging 2 nd. Where as if the revs are not as high it changes quicker. As for re mapping the weakest link it the clutch and the extra torque available after re map.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Fluid change every four years with the brake fluid, we tow with ours without any problems.

8A1DCFDD-0470-44FF-B2C2-54FE0284EC44.jpeg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We have the 2.3. 150 comformatic in our Burstner Iexo 730. Now has 18000 miles a lot easier than when new. We have found its actually quicker to pull away if we don’t press the accelerator down to hard as it holds in first a bit longer but has to wait for the revs to die down before engaging 2 nd. Where as if the revs are not as high it changes quicker. As for re mapping the weakest link it the clutch and the extra torque available after re map.
There is a knack to getting the best from them, as has already been said they are a manual with a robotic clutch do you keep the pedal hard down with a manual?
No you let it off ever so and re apply power, as you have found this is the best was to drive these.

John

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
It is. There is that hesitation before getting into second and getting going. If on the level I will start in second.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back