Commission free Euro bank terminals (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our usual explorations take us to Spain where we can take out Euros commission free via Santander Bank. This year we are only hitting France for a week and while not using much cash we do like to have a couple of hundred to hand - just in case. It came as a shock earlier this year to hear on here that banks were charging for taking Euros out in Euros as while used to them trying to scam you for the interest rate by asking to do the conversion I was not aware of this new concept of highway robbery commission.
So can anyone help with the brand of hole in the wall machines to look for or any specific machines in Epernay or Le Crotoy or (Calais/Boulogne outskirts) which are commission free and allow me to use a commission free Credit Card?
If only drawing a couple of hundred I would not worry about a bit of commion.It will probably cost you more in diesel looking for a commission free machine..We are still using euros we got a few years ago at 1.15 that we leave in van safe.This year in Spain though we pay for majority of things card because of Covid
BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I am sorry but I do not have the faintest idea of the point you are making. If you withdraw sterling abroad from a local ATM you get hit with high commission charges or poor exchange rates or sometimes both. Much cheaper to get it at a competitive rate before you leave.
Why would you draw Sterling in Europe? BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
But the op was talking about machines that charge not banks. We have the same account but if the ATM charges you still pay it same as you would at one in a small shop in the UK.
He only want a couple of hundred euros,,commission probably price of a coffee.I would not even ask.Couple of thousand would be different.Stop worrying.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I agree all that. But my UK bank uses a poorer exchange rate (as do most of the rest) than I can get from the Post Office.
Don't think so,,We always get an excellent rate from Halifax.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have been charged a commission when using cash machines, but it was our bank (Nationwide) and not the machine making the charge.

We have changed our account and no longer pay anything.
Quite a few Arms now make a charge ,BUSBY.

Deleted User
He only want a couple of hundred euros,,commission probably price of a coffee.I would not even ask.Couple of thousand would be different.Stop worrying.BUSBY.

Santander wanted €5 regardless of amount last year, I can get 6 coffees for that in Portugal :Smile:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The issue is mainly in Spain where there is often a fixed fee for using the ATM, but usually don’t have to go far to find a free one
tell me where they are then . I live here & any that used to be free ,including my own spanish bank when I used Revolut, all now charge. Only free for me when I use the spanish cards.
A slightly different thought why should ATMs be free? They obviously cost a fair bit to run . Isn't if fairer to charge people who use them a fee rather than the cost be shared out over everyone?
Because they have already saved money firstly by reducing staffing once atm's took hold then eliminating the remaining staff, then closing all the branches. The only people who are gaing are the shareholders ; so no there shouldn't be any type of charge for them.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Santander wanted €5 regardless of amount last year, I can get 6 coffees for that in Portugal :Smile:
Bit of a rip off but draw 200 euros from home,,Post Office Tesco etc free..But 5 pounds won't ruin your holiday will it..BUSBY.😀😀

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
tell me where they are then . I live here & any that used to be free ,including my own spanish bank when I used Revolut, all now charge. Only free for me when I use the spanish cards.

Because they have already saved money firstly by reducing staffing once atm's took hold then eliminating the remaining staff, then closing all the branches. The only people who are gaing are the shareholders ; so no there shouldn't be any type of charge for them.
And many of the shareholders are pension companies who hold our pensions and provide our life style.Come on your talking peanuts not life changing amounts.ATMs are not compulsory but useful at times..Load of fuss about nothing. BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You really need to move with the times ... it's now the cost of a newspaper according to Debbie MaGee! :LOL:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You really need to move with the times ... it's now the cost of a newspaper according to Debbie MaGee! :LOL:
You can tell the target age group in the add how many youngsters buy a newspaper!!!!

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
A slightly different thought why should ATMs be free? They obviously cost a fair bit to run . Isn't if fairer to charge people who use them a fee rather than the cost be shared out over everyone?
Bank ATMs are usually free for their own customers, which seems logical to me. For customers of other banks, the cardholder bank pays the ATM-owning bank a fee. So if I use a Santander ATM with my Halifax card, Halifax has to pay Santander. But what they lose on that, they gain on Santander cardholders who use Halifax ATMs. I like this because it gives banks an incentive to provide more ATMs.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Bank ATMs are usually free for their own customers, which seems logical to me. For customers of other banks, the cardholder bank pays the ATM-owning bank a fee. So if I use a Santander ATM with my Halifax card, Halifax has to pay Santander. But what they lose on that, they gain on Santander cardholders who use Halifax ATMs. I like this because it gives banks an incentive to provide more ATMs.
So in effect all bank customers are paying towards the costs of ATM s even those who don't use them!

Deleted User
So in effect all bank customers are paying towards the costs of ATM s even those who don't use them!

I haven't been inside my UK bank for around 10 years, I do all my banking online and use ATM's so who is subsidising who?

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I suppose so. In the sense that any customer of any organisation is paying for all the facilities that the organisation offers.As matamoros pointed out, if you don't use a branch the bank still has the cost of operating branches and all the customers in effect pay for that.

Of course banks could impose a charge for each use of an ATM, and see how that went far as attracting customers was concerned.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As interest rates drop to the negative look forward to the banks charging to hold or access your own money

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
As interest rates drop to the negative look forward to the banks charging to hold or access your own money
Of course. As they get stopped from reaming people who break the rules, they have to get their money from somewhere else. Hence 0.1% interest on your money, but 39% interest on even agreed overdrafts.

They are the only business that gets its raw materials free and still charges for the product.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Of course. As they get stopped from reaming people who break the rules, they have to get their money from somewhere else. Hence 0.1% interest on your money, but 39% interest on even agreed overdrafts.

They are the only business that gets its raw materials free and still charges for the product.
0.1% get it whilst you can ;) 39% I someone has to pay those banking bonuses so it must be OK to charge that rate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back