Commission free Euro bank terminals (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
But if you withdraw an amount in euros, there is no exchange rate on the part of the local bank.
I am sorry but I do not have the faintest idea of the point you are making. If you withdraw sterling abroad from a local ATM you get hit with high commission charges or poor exchange rates or sometimes both. Much cheaper to get it at a competitive rate before you leave.

Deleted User
I am sorry but I do not have the faintest idea of the point you are making. If you withdraw sterling abroad from a local ATM you get hit with high commission charges or poor exchange rates or sometimes both. Much cheaper to get it at a competitive rate before you leave.

Don't withdraw in sterling always in euro's and don't use ATM's that charge, the exchange rate then depends on your card provider, much the same as it does if you exchange in the UK and then carry wads of euro's with you.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not all the 'real' banks ATM's are few free in Spain so watch out, Santander in particular.
Just seen your last post so ignore that :Smile:
What I meant by contactless cards working everywhere was for shopping. I have cash euros, understandably since I live in France, but I have never needed cash, not in filling stations, shops, or toll gates, so I normally don't need ATMs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
My point was that if you withdraw euros in the eurozone and do not take any option to be charged in another currency, then you will not get hit by a poor exchange rate by the local ATM owner because you are not making any currency exchange locally, only your card issuer is making a currency exchange.
Of course you may be hit by a commission but I wasn't addressing that. And I don't know what you mean by "withdraw sterling abroad", I was talking about withdrawing euros, hoosing to take the charge in euros.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't withdraw in sterling always in euro's and don't use ATM's that charge, the exchange rate then depends on your card provider, much the same as it does if you exchange in the UK and then carry wads of euro's with you.
If I was withdrawing it would be in Euros of course. But the exchange after commission will be worse! I have checked you know to make sure!

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
If I was withdrawing it would be in Euros of course. But the exchange after commission will be worse! I have checked you know to make sure!
I think you have a misconception here. If I withdraw 200 euros from an ATM in France, it may or may not offer me the chance to be billed in pounds. If it does offer that, I refuse. Then I am billed 200 euros, no more, no less. This goes back to my bank, say Halifax, as a bill for 200 euros, and Halifax convert that to pounds. The French bank does not do the conversion, the British one does that.

Of course if the ATM charges you a commission, that is a different matter, but I am talking about exchange rates, not Foreign banks' commissions. If they impose one, I don't use them.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think you have a misconception here. If I withdraw 200 euros from an ATM in France, it may or may not offer me the chance to be billed in pounds. If it does offer that, I refuse. Then I am billed 200 euros, no more, no less. This goes back to my bank, say Halifax, as a bill for 200 euros, and Halifax convert that to pounds. The French bank does not do the conversion, the British one does that.

Of course if the ATM charges you a commission, that is a different matter, but I am talking about exchange rates, not Foreign banks' commissions. If they impose one, I don't use them.
I agree all that. But my UK bank uses a poorer exchange rate (as do most of the rest) than I can get from the Post Office.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I agree all that. But my UK bank uses a poorer exchange rate (as do most of the rest) than I can get from the Post Office.
Lots of banks offer the interbank rate (commission free) to customers Metro bank, Starling etc, much better than drawing out euro's before you leave uk.

Deleted User
Mine doesn't, Revolut gives the interbank exchange rate at the time that I convert, Nationwide gives very close but at the time they receive the instruction from the foreign bank which is normally the day after.

Deleted User

Post office today £1 =€1.0614
Revolut...now...............€1.1038

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What is the monthly cash withdrawal limit for Revolut when abroad ! 200 Euro's perhaps ??
I use Caxton Red. No monthly cash withdrawal limit, no bank charges unless imposed by issuing bank and same exchange rate as Revolute. Of course, people will use whatever method they have a preference for and threads like this will be repeated every year just like this one. The wheel goes round and round.(y)

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I may be accused of being off topic here, but it is worth remembering that using your card for purchases rather than cash, and never accepting to be billed in pounds, is usually as good as you can get.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What is the monthly cash withdrawal limit for Revolut when abroad ! 200 Euro's perhaps ??
I use Caxton Red. No monthly cash withdrawal limit, no bank charges unless imposed by issuing bank and same exchange rate as Revolute. Of course, people will use whatever method they have a preference for and threads like this will be repeated every year just like this one. The wheel goes round and round.(y)
But you pay £5 a month for Caxton Red ....

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We use Barclaycard Platinum, no fees, no commission, no interest if paid off by the end of the month, and interbank exchange rate. All the above for foreign currency purchases and cash wirthdrawals. Don’t know if they stil offer it though.
The issue is mainly in Spain where there is often a fixed fee for using the ATM, but usually don’t have to go far to find a free one. Of course that is also the case in the UK where many ATMs charge something like £1.95 to withdraw cash, especially those in motorway services and small local shops etc.again easily avoided.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Santander ATMs are free in Spain if you have a UK Santander account and use a Santander card. You also get the bank rate exchange.
I was about to say the same, but that (for me) was back in 2006/7ish the last time we went to Europe. I had (still have) a "zero" card. (no longer available but existing ones still "work").
Edit:- Worked in the USA too, But there most ATM`s made a small charge for any cash withdrawal. Typically, Walmart it was around 1$ or 1%.

Thank you Covid I suppose.
"Thank you Chinese Government". Cannot for the life of me understand why everyone tip-toe`s around the fact that what we are suffering was due to the Chinese Governments Failure to act sooner.

Deleted User
Santander ATMs are free in Spain if you have a UK Santander account and use a Santander card. You also get the bank rate exchange.

Yes, you are correct but not everyone, including myself has a UK Santander account.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A slightly different thought why should ATMs be free? They obviously cost a fair bit to run . Isn't if fairer to charge people who use them a fee rather than the cost be shared out over everyone?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
But you pay £5 a month for Caxton Red ....
That is correct ! You can also make a one off annual payment at a slightly reduced price. Its like I said, people will have there own preferences and claim their choice is better than anyone else's. My preference is Caxton, I've been using it for years, its covered by the F.C.A. and I can load different currencies on it that just sit there waiting for me to use them. Like others I am now finding many banks (Particularly Spain) are charging to make cash with drawels. Santander being the worst, although it depends where the branch is located. There are still some banks giving free withdrawals but these are becoming fewer & fewer and no doubt will be fewer still after next January.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That is correct ! You can also make a one off annual payment at a slightly reduced price. Its like I said, people will have there own preferences and claim their choice is better than anyone else's. My preference is Caxton, I've been using it for years, its covered by the F.C.A. and I can load different currencies on it that just sit there waiting for me to use them. Like others I am now finding many banks (Particularly Spain) are charging to make cash with drawels. Santander being the worst, although it depends where the branch is located. There are still some banks giving free withdrawals but these are becoming fewer & fewer and no doubt will be fewer still after next January.
Don't they charge the same fee to people from other countries even the locals? If so I don't see how it will make any difference.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Don't they charge the same fee to people from other countries even the locals? If so I don't see how it will make any difference.
I'm not making sense of your post ! ( cause I'm thick!) Caxton maxes no chargers for withdrawing cash or making Transactions abroad, if that helps. The great benefit of Caxton is you can buy your currency when the exchange rate is in your favour and the currency sits in your account until you draw upon it. So you don't have to use the exchange rate that's live when making a purchase.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not making sense of your post ! ( cause I'm thick!) Caxton maxes no chargers for withdrawing cash or making Transactions abroad, if that helps. The great benefit of Caxton is you can buy your currency when the exchange rate is in your favour and the currency sits in your account until you draw upon it. So you don't have to use the exchange rate that's live when making a purchase.
The post originally was about the ATM charging to make a withdrawal not the card provider. If its an ATM that charges and if it's one that charges everyone no matter where they're from Brexit won't make any difference. As I said before it's strange that people expect ATM s to be free they obviously cost money to operate and it would I think be fairer to charge people who use one rather than spread the cost over everyone with a bank account. The charges made by card providers are a different matter.

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Use the Nationwide Flexplus - £13 per month but includes Breakdown cover for Moho and free cash withdrawals, as well as other stuff - worked it out and it's still good value

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Use the Nationwide Flexplus - £13 per month but includes Breakdown cover for Moho and free cash withdrawals, as well as other stuff - worked it out and it's still good value
But the op was talking about machines that charge not banks. We have the same account but if the ATM charges you still pay it same as you would at one in a small shop in the UK.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! I have that account too and the greatest benefit IMO is the multi tip travel insurance. Their home insurance is great too.

Deleted User
The great benefit of Caxton is you can buy your currency when the exchange rate is in your favour and the currency sits in your account until you draw upon it. So you don't have to use the exchange rate that's live when making a purchase.

I wish that I could forecast that.......I would be very rich :Smile:

Rates go up as well as down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back