Comfort re travel after Brexit (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This may have already been posted but if not here it is:-

With negotiations still continuing over the United Kingdom's exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, we want to provide (as best we can) an update on the potential impact on our customers, should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement. It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but customers should be aware of the potential implications in respect of motorhome insurance and travel in Europe.

As the United Kingdom is currently due to leave the European Union on 29th March 2019, any trip that ends before this date will not require a Green Card unless you are travelling to any of the following countries: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Morocco, Montenegro, Tunisia or Turkey. In the event of a “no deal “ Brexit, customers travelling to Europe may need to take action for some types of cover, however we can only issue a Green Card 21 days before the start of your trip. You should therefore contact us at the appropriate time for us to issue you a Green Card. As of 27th February it appears increasingly likely that there will be an extension to negotiations, in which case there will be no changes for the time being. We will continue to monitor political developments and we are engaging with our underwriters/regulators, so we can minimise any regulatory or operational difficulties that might arise, and we are seeking to provide the service our customers expect whatever the Brexit outcome.

Why do customers need a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary minimum insurance cover. It certificates that the policyholder is suitably insured to drive abroad. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at a border without a physical Green Card, they may not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean for our customers?

At present, Comfort policies allow policyholders to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If you are planning a trip that is completed before the 29th March 2019 then there is no change.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by Comfort Insurance. Until more certainty is provided about the formal Brexit agreement on 29th March, the interim guidance is that you should contact us if you intend to drive abroad three weeks before travel, and we will issue and send the required document. From 1st March there will be no charge when we issue a Green Card.

We will keep you updated with further information when there is more clarity regarding the long term implications of Brexit.

Will a UK driving licence be valid to drive in the EU after 29th March 2019?

While it is too soon to say, in the event of a “no deal” situation, the Department for Transport has indicated that you may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU. This would need to be shown in conjunction with a UK driving licence. The IDP is issued by the Government via Post Offices; Comfort Insurance cannot issue IDPs. It is important to note that there are different types of IDP, and this will depend on the country you will be driving in:

• A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or
  • A 1968 Convention IDP covers all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland
Whatever the Brexit outcome, we will continue to update customers with further information and/or actions you may need to take as soon as we can.

Please note that a lot of the changes taking place will only apply in the event of a “no deal”. There are actions taking place to keep the pan-European Green Card which is already part of your insurance policy so an additional Green Card may not be required.

As this is a rapidly changing issue we will keep our customers informed of progress.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Yes we just received that too....at least they're finally giving out some useful info now. When I contacted them 4 weeks ago asking whether they would be issuing Green Cards to their customers in the event of a no deal they just offered to sell me one for £20 :(

However this bit is a bit ambiguous to me:
however we can only issue a Green Card 21 days before the start of your trip
Does that mean they can only issue the cards within 21 days of the start of the trip, or does it mean they can only issue them if you contact them more than 21 days before your trip?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The earliest Comfort will issue one is 21 days before your planned trip. I was told on the phone it would cost £20 although I agree it doesn't mention a cost in the paperwork. One of our cars is insured with Admiral and they sent an email saying that if we need one they will issue it free.

My phone call was back in January when we had planned to go away from 11th feb until 29th march with our insurance needing to be renewed on 6th March so was a bit of a palaver. Had to cancel unfortunately but Comfort were helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I've emailed them for clarification on exactly when we need to contact them as we're going away mid-April - I'll let you know when I get a response.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, if you are visiting a country covered by your insurance then you will still be covered even without a Green Card. So your coverage shouldn't be affected. The Green Card is simply a way of proving to officialdom that you hold the minimum legal insurance - its an admin requirement imposed by the countries you are visiting (same as carrying your V5).

I'm guessing your Green Card for Morocco was more expensive because you needed to actually extend your insurance to cover you in Morocco, rather than the insurer just issuing a card for cover you already had.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've emailed them for clarification on exactly when we need to contact them as we're going away mid-April - I'll let you know when I get a response.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, if you are visiting a country covered by your insurance then you will still be covered even without a Green Card. So your coverage shouldn't be affected. The Green Card is simply a way of proving to officialdom that you hold the minimum legal insurance - its an admin requirement imposed by the countries you are visiting (same as carrying your V5).

I'm guessing your Green Card for Morocco was more expensive because you needed to actually extend your insurance to cover you in Morocco, rather than the insurer just issuing a card for cover you already had.
It is only a problem in the case of a no deal Brexit. They post it first class mail so if there is a no deal on the 29th march and you phone them it will arrive in plenty of time. The EARLIEST date they can issue it is 21 days before the start of your trip which was classed as the first day in the foreign country.I asked to clarify it as you might be travelling from the North of Scotland to Dover for a few days prior to leaving the country. This was with Comfort.

The 21 days is a Comfort thing , not a legal thing so may well be different with other companies I hasten to add.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Is it The Insurance Co insisting on a Green Card or will it be legislation abroad if we leave with no deal..BUSBY.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Can I remind everyone what the terms of a Green Card were prior to joing the EU - as has been said it was simply to prove to foreigners that you have valid third party insurance whilst driving wherever yo had gone to.

IF (and note - that's deliberately a big IF) you wished to have Comprehensive - or even TPF&T - cover that your policy gave you in the UK - then you needed to tell insurers that and they would extend their policy -at a price to cover it.

Similarly the Certificate of Insurance one gets with a policy ONLY proves you have third party insurance in the UK - it absolutely does NOT tell anyone including Plod, what 'extra' cover the policy may or may not happen to provide. For that, they and you need to peruse the Policy Schedule.

Does your policy wording actually state that full policy cover already applies in the EU?

The mere fact that people will need green cards issued in the event of No Deal or some of the EU getting arsy is going to cost money in stationery and somebody's time to physically get it issued, plus of course the postage. Hence - somebody will have to pay for it.

I shouldn't think anyone has to have ESP to work out who!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I rang Comfort today and a pleasant lady told me that I should apply for a green card three weeks prior to my journey, at no cost and they will reimburse others who have already paid £20.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back