Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Funsters,
After some advice please.
Currently got a Laika as per pic below. Always had coachbuilt Motorhomes and this one really is lush for an old girl.
We spend much of our time in the Highlands of Scotland. I noticed on our last jolly that the view out the front windscreen was somewhat limited height-wise. Got me thinking that an A-class with a large windscreen screen would suit our needs better….something along the lines of a Hymer, Rapido or this one….
It’s at least a 10k jump from what we currently have and just want to be sure I’m not looking at it through my rose tinted glasses…
Has anyone done the same or vice versa that could give some input?

IMG_5095.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You may be right.

I just assumed it was A class - modified from the A pillar, B class - modified from the B pillar, so most coachbuilts would be B class?

But then the Euros say integrated and non integrated?
Just to confuse you Hymer B Class are what we call A Class.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You may be right.

I just assumed it was A class - modified from the A pillar, B class - modified from the B pillar, so most coachbuilts would be B class?

But then the Euros say integrated and non integrated?

OK so that one is an American company but its the same principle throughout .

C class uses the original cab of the pick up . A class builds their own body on to the chassis

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just to confuse you Hymer B Class are what we call A Class.
Hymer have their own weird descriptions, the b models were usually fiat based and the s models were merc based , but they also had the huge other s models

They never called any A really but they still used C on the coachbuilt ones

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
One interesting thing about having an A class after a C class (!) is that it feels wider because the cab space is wider. It isn't wider but the end of the cab is nearer the centre line. So when you drive it you are more aware of the true width, especially with on coming traffic because you feel nearer (and perhaps you are). My wife finds that a bit harder when driving, unnerving if you will, whereas I take the view I can see more and know my width based on more than just the end of the mirrors, it is more obvious if that makes sense. She would disagree.

Something to consider, as I say two opinions in our household, and each to their own. For what it is worth we prefer the A class, from as living and usability standpoint. It doesn't mean it is better, it just works for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hello Funsters,
Currently got a Laika as per pic below. Always had coachbuilt Motorhomes and this one really is lush for an old girl.
We spend much of our time in the Highlands of Scotland. I noticed on our last jolly that the view out the front windscreen was somewhat limited height-wise. Got me thinking that an A-class with a large windscreen screen would suit our needs better….something along the lines of a Hymer, Rapido or this one….
It’s at least a 10k jump from what we currently have and just want to be sure I’m not looking at it through my rose tinted glasses…

View attachment 899923

Hello Funsters,

View attachment 899923
We had an A class prior to our present PVC and loved the view from the front. Having said that the view from the PVC is fine as well. As to the A class you have a link to I would be very wary indeed. The awning appears to have been regularly extended to the max which puts a huge strain on the attachment points and according to all manufacturers the awning must only be extended a short distance before being supported by the legs before being rolled out further. If you do go for the A class very careful examination will be needed to assure there are no potential issues with deformation of leaks at the awning points. I see that this is offered as by a private seller who appears to have a large barn although on one of the pictures the motorhome is clearly outside a place with the sign "Cambridge Caravans" Could it be that this is a private sale because the dealer doesn't want any comeback and doesn't want to offer any warranty? Sorry to be so negative but you do need to be very careful with this one I think. Cambridge caravan do not appear to have much stock , only two campers but more caravans and mostly at the lower end of the market price wise. I would doubt the have the finances to deal with any substantial repairs or warranty work.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
One interesting thing about having an A class after a C class (!) is that it feels wider because the cab space is wider. It isn't wider but the end of the cab is nearer the centre line. So when you drive it you are more aware of the true width, especially with on coming traffic because you feel nearer (and perhaps you are). My wife finds that a bit harder when driving, whereas I take the view I can see more and know my width based on more than just the end of the mirrors, it is more obvious if that makes sense. She would disagree.

Something to consider, as I say two opinions in our household, and each to their own. For what it is worth we prefer the A class, from as living and usability standpoint. It doesn't mean it is better, it just works for us.
I think there's bit of a mental hurdle to get over with driving an a-class. But as you said, in reality, it's the same width. I've got used to being able to judge it pretty well. The only driving downsides I see are pretty minor.
-Toll/ferry check-in booths are a little harder to use because the window is a smaller and further away from you.
-It's harder to get on to ramps as you can't lean out the window to see the wheels.
-There's a larger blind spot opposite the driver around the front wing. If you're reversing, it can be hard to know when you can swing the front around when the car/bollard/wall disappears out of sight below the line of the dashboard... although some of this is because I'm a short-arse...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It should also be noted that not all a classes are created equal or are the same size despite being on the same chassis.

I've had a mobilvetta , a hymer and a euramobil all based on the fiat ducato 244 chassis . The euromobil was huge.. the windscreen was a lot further forward than it was on the hymer or the mobilvetta .. so those who think an a class is the same distance from steering wheel to front bumper I hate to tell you it isn't true . The distance from steering wheel to front bumper on the euramobil integra was at least 12 inches longer than the distance from steering wheel to front bumper on the hymer b654 .. both were on the Same chassis. They also differed in width , the euromobil was 235 wide the hymer was narrower as was the mobilvetta.

The mobilvetta was smaller again , similar to the one I have now although this one is on the iveco truck chassis. But its a very small a class. I can touch the windscreen with ease from driver seat

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yes, I don't think I've heard of an A Class being stolen.
I'm not sure why. I know panel vans are much more common, so the exploits to get around the security of the doors are more likely to be discovered. But I'd have thought that my a-class cab door would be as easy to jimmy open as a hab door... which is pretty simple. They don't have a ton of security features.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I'm not sure why. I know panel vans are much more common, so the exploits to get around the security of the doors are more likely to be discovered. But I'd have thought that my a-class cab door would be as easy to jimmy open as a hab door... which is pretty simple. They don't have a ton of security features.

A class vans have less saleable parts and are easier to identify

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Are coachbuilts more likely to be stolen than A class vans?
I think they all get stolen .

Panel van conversions are probably the most stolen . Many self builds too

But I think a lot of the coachbuilts end up as pick up trucks loaded with tar 🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A class vans have less saleable parts and are easier to identify
I guess there's a few external panels. Doors, bonnet, wings, lights, etc. Pretty much everything else is the same though. If you're breaking for parts, surely stuff like the engine and gearbox has the most value?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I guess there's a few external panels. Doors, bonnet, wings, lights, etc. Pretty much everything else is the same though. If you're breaking for parts, surely stuff like the engine and gearbox has the most value?
But not as easy to get out when you living on the local recreation ground.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Put a private plate on an A class and a thief would have no idea what year or model of the base vehicle - no recognisable grille or lights.

Coachbuilts you know make and model just looking at it

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I would dispute that coach builds are more economical. My Carthago averages 31 mpg
Just done 3000 miles to Andalusia and back and averaged 31mpg, mostly non-autoroute. In fact have averaged that over the past four years of ownership. I averaged 32mpg over two years with previous coach built Accordo (Marquis) which was about 200Kg lighter.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just done 3000 miles to Andalusia and back and averaged 31mpg, mostly non-autoroute. In fact have averaged that over the past four years of ownership. I averaged 32mpg over two years with previous coach built Accordo (Marquis) which was about 200Kg lighter.
With my (full width, but short length 😅) a-class, I generally only get 27mpg. It's a Fiat based, pre-adblue Euro6d manual with the 150bhp engine. I tend to stick to an indicated 60-65mph and I'll hold that speed going up hills.

I got close to 30mpg coming back from Wales the other day along the A55, M56 and down the M6. There was almost no wind and I following trucks most of the way on cruise control... although I do tend to get nearer 70mph on overtakes. I got far better mpg on the PVC I previously had.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back