Cleaning Cadac griddle plate (1 Viewer)

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Evening all,

We're still learning and, after a few trips now, absolutely loving our new venture.

We've just got back from a great weekend at Homing Park in Whitstable, and used our Cadac a couple of times when there. I was just wondering what you guys do with respects to heating, using oil (or not) and cleaning of the griddle plate. Naturally I don't want to take off the non stick surface so assume a wire brush is out of the question, but wondered what you do with yours ie do you clean immediately when still warm or wait for it to get cold, and what do you use to clean it?

The bottom pan and lid is no issue, they cleaned really easily, but cleaning the griddle seems like hard work as the burgers we cooked stuck to it, meaning there were chunks which were fairly hard to get off.

Many thanks in anticipation for any tips.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The griddle plates are not, contrary to Cadac's own claims, the simplest things to clean. I suspect one of the reasons for them being a love or hate thing amongst Funsters. It's made worse that after the first few uses some of the properties of the ceramic coatings seem to degrade through use. I use mine a lot and accept cleaning is a pain. I just use the green sponge type scourers, hot water, washing up liquid and elbow grease.

Spraying the griddle with a cooking oil before plonking the meat on helps, and even when turning the meat over. I use the lightweight sunflower 1 calorie cooking type sprays. I've seen references that post cooking another spray and warming can help soften stuff, but if you leave too long it will again start to burn on. That keeping warm is also not what you want to do when you want to enjoy your nice cooked food.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
When finished cooking, put some water in it and simmer, turn off and use a plastic kitchen brush to "scrub" clean.

Store in an old towel to prevent damage to non stick surface.

Done us well for years.

Cheers
Red

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We use Teflon non-stick sheet on our Cadac grill plates and they are a doddle to clean, usually just by wiping over with a piece of kitchen towel.
I bought it on a roll from Amazon and cut it with scissors to the shape of the grill plates.

Amazon product ASIN B09L4BCGTR
Listened to a podcast the other day about things like teflon and scotchguard.

Apparently they are looking at alternatives as they are environmentally horrendous chemicals. Very resilient and waterproof, don’t degrade and basically, like plastics are here forever but quite toxic to other things.

Obviously not Cadac though, the stuff they use only lasts once. 😏

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Cadac actually sell a very stiff small brush to clean the hotplate etc, its quite good but bloody expensive.
we have started to use the teflon sheet 'stuff' and have found its a doddle to keep the cadac clean now.
you dont actually want it perfectly clean, its like a wok that needs 'seasoning', just use it and wipe clean when hot.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I've been using Cadac's own foam spray and their small round bristle brush. Nasty stuff the spray but it does what it says on the tin. Can take a couple of sprays and best to wait for a clear space in the campsite washup before you press the button! Also worth wearing gloves unless you want to lose the top layer of skin and don't breathe it in either. Might try the teflon material but presumably you don't get the BBQ smoke flavour.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It is exactly this issue (difficult to clean) that we sold our Cadac; life is too short to deal with that hassle.

We bought a Cobb instead, much easier to clean.

Ian

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
After you’ve finished cooking, put the lid on, put the heat on full and wait until it stops smoking. Turn off and let it cool. All remaining foodstuffs will have become carbon dust and can be brushed off with a stiff brush. Have done this on all my BBQs.
+1. You do need to get it "f" hot. On the plus side the smoke will deter mossies. When cool I just brush off any lumps of carbon then just put ours in a placcie bag, then just it again next time "as is".

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
My wife who is a big Cadac fan reckons a good soak with water & washing up liquid is the best way of cleaning it. Seems Cadac now make a bespoke tray for that purpose, but obviously cheaper ways of achieving the same outcome are available.

Cadac Soak Tray

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Just chuck it upside down on the grass and wipe it clean in the morning. don't tell the wardens though.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We took ours to the local nuclear weapons establishment to see if they could shift the foodstuffs…

….. No joy :giggler: :giggler:
Probably not best to name the company, but back in '74 ish the company I did my apprenticeship at had a hot trichloroetylene degreasing tank. Staring into it was like looking into the mists of time, and was a good place to skive off as it was always warm by it. You could stick absolutely anything into it apart from it's intended contents - horrible roasting tins, knackered motorcycle chains, anything, and just a few minutes they would be piping hot and totally, absolutely, grease and oil free.

Legend had it amongst the workers that the local fire brigade, mindful of an adjoining cyanide salt bath we had used for hardening certain metals, as well as a welding bay where, as well as different alloys we also welded magnesium door frames, were of the opinión that If anything went wrong it would probably take out half the town and they'd be bu663red if they would go anywhere near us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back