CL Site charging extra for car (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Thought we would stay in the UK this year and have a wander round Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. We have tried it before and missed a lot because you could not park so we thought we would take the car as it's just too expensive to hire one. First CL in the New Forest no problem. Second CL charge for the car. I queried it and asked why what's the difference as surely MH + Car is the same as Caravan + Car. The owner said it's different for MH with a car so we had to pay extra. There was nowhere else to leave car.

So if you are thinking of using CLs and have a MH and a car it's worth asking when you book. Next two have said there is no charge.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thought we would stay in the UK this year and have a wander round Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. We have tried it before and missed a lot because you could not park so we thought we would take the car as it's just to expensive to hire one. First CL in the New Forest no problem. Second CL charge for the car. I queried it and asked why what's the difference. MH + Car same as Caravan + Car .. Not so it's different for MH with a car so had go pay extra. No where to leave car.

So if you are thinking of using CLs and have a MH and Car it's worth asking when you book. Next two have said there is no charge.

R.I.P. off merchants I would say! Name and shame so we know who to avoid!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I would of left we pulled into a CL near Cirencester and the owner wanted to charge us £2 more because we are a big motorhome and we would use more electric his words not mine . I told him we were leaving he backed down .

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Thought we would stay in the UK this year and have a wander round Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. We have tried it before and missed a lot because you could not park so we thought we would take the car as it's just to expensive to hire one. First CL in the New Forest no problem. Second CL charge for the car. I queried it and asked why what's the difference. MH + Car same as Caravan + Car .. Not so it's different for MH with a car so had go pay extra. No where to leave car.

So if you are thinking of using CLs and have a MH and Car it's worth asking when you book. Next two have said there is no charge.
We went to Home Farm near Brean and I had the same argument, I refused to pay, and asked for my camping fee back and I would move. They refused, so I refused to move. Never saw them again, I was expecting security or police but nothing happened.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
R.I.P. off merchants I would say! Name and shame so we know who to avoid!
Surely it depends on the cost? If the cost is a £8 and then it is a couple of quid for a car, but the next place charged a Tenner to include a car, its a better option for the majority?

I'd rather have a base price and add to suit than include everything, but then I own a Campsite and the wardens get arguments what ever we do. Why should I pay for my trailer, my mate didn't pay extra for his car! "Yes, but his car was on an "A" Frame, yours isn't"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely it depends on the cost? If the cost is a £8 and then it is a couple of quid for a car, but the next place charged a Tenner to include a car, its a better option for the majority?

I'd rather have a base price and add to suit than include everything, but then I own a Campsite and the wardens get arguments what ever we do. Why should I pay for my trailer, my mate didn't pay extra for his car! "Yes, but his car was on an "A" Frame, yours isn't"
Not the point Eddie.
A motorhome and (usually) small car is no different to a large towcar and caravan except the dimensions are reversed.
In fact the car and caravan will usually be longer than a van and toad
You'll never see a smart car towing a 26ft caravan.

If it all fits on the pitch, which it will if a car and caravan will, there should be no extra charge

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not the point Eddie.
A motorhome and (usually) small car is no different to a large towcar and caravan except the dimensions are reversed.
In fact the car and caravan will usually be longer than a van and toad
You'll never see a smart car towing a 26ft caravan.

If it all fits on the pitch, which it will if a car and caravan will, there should be no extra charge
However, if the sum of the two is less than or around the correct price it doesn't matter a toss

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

What’s the difference between the two? The car on Aframe and a trailer?

I’m only asking! X

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What’s the difference between the two? The car on Aframe and a trailer?

I’m only asking! X

Normally a wheel in each corner...

And you cannot drive a trailer...

I`m a mind of useless information.... :giggler:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That is the beauty of a free market, if you don't like the charging structure, move along and pick a site that you do like. As a couple that tour with an RV often with a tow car owning a big hairy dog, its what they say I have to pay that is the only consideration, not how they arrive at the figure.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
People with dogs don't understand why they should pay extra for a dog?
People with children don't understand why they should pay extra for children
People with trailers don't understand why they should pay extra for a trailer
People with extra tents don't understand why they should pay extra for a tent

People that arrive with no dogs, no children, no trailer and no tent, don't understand why they should pay the same as those that have! lol

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I’m happy to pay for my dog. Paying extra for a car that isn’t extra just seems money grabbing.

Mrs QFour

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

To date, using CL’s we haven’t been charged extra. And I object to it. You charge what you want, or what the market dictates, but there is absolutely no reason to do add ons. Just a blanket, one charge for all is all that’s required! The “that’s the site of five acres, electricity, water and waste disposal, but it’s extra for an awning, it’s so much per person, so much for the motorhome, so much per dog, cat, bird, so much per children, so much for breathing! So it’s £10 per night in the book but in reality it’s £30 per night. Well no! We go elsewhere! There is a song that fits this attitude.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I just wanted to know the difference in thinking for a car, that is a freebee or a trailer that’s chargeable?

I had a trailer with all my tools on it, and I don’t remember any CL, C@CC or C@ MH club charging me extra? Or was it because I was a single person?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Just like the difference between Council Tax and Poll Tax. More people = more work= more cost.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Why go to the continent when you can have fun here? I admit you pay a lot more here, but if you didn't what would write about?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
But what about if they only want to empty the toilet and fill up with water can they bring the car in or is that extra. Haha

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It always amazes me why some site charge for dogs.

I would never charge for dogs But when did you last open a bucket full of fermenting dog shit. Or empty dustbins and find untied bags of shite in it. If you are not a dog-person It's not nice so I can see why they charge. Also, some sites have a dog walk that needs maintaining so a charge for dogs is justified.

As well, while every single dog owner picks up after their dog somehow despite every one picking up there is always that poo that just appears out of nowhere. Funny You don't get that on sites with no dogs. If it was my job to pick it up I'd want paying :D

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would of left we pulled into a CL near Cirencester and the owner wanted to charge us £2 more because we are a big motorhome and we would use more electric his words not mine . I told him we were leaving he backed down .
On Skye I puled into a place - they charged £8 per person and £5 for hook up - I said I didn't want/need hook up. It was have the electric or leave, so we left and went to Kyleakin and stayed for free on the car park.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Thought we would stay in the UK this year and have a wander round Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. We have tried it before and missed a lot because you could not park so we thought we would take the car as it's just too expensive to hire one. First CL in the New Forest no problem. Second CL charge for the car. I queried it and asked why what's the difference as surely MH + Car is the same as Caravan + Car. The owner said it's different for MH with a car so we had to pay extra. There was nowhere else to leave car.

So if you are thinking of using CLs and have a MH and a car it's worth asking when you book. Next two have said there is no charge.
Name and shame the bum holes! Utter merchants!!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I would never charge for dogs But when did you last open a bucket full of fermenting dog shit. Or empty dustbins and find untied bags of shite in it. If you are not a dog-person It's not nice so I can see why they charge. Also, some sites have a dog walk that needs maintaining so a charge for dogs is justified.

As well, while every single dog owner picks up after their dog somehow despite every one picking up there is always that poo that just appears out of nowhere. Funny You don't get that on sites with no dogs. If it was my job to pick it up I'd want paying :D

Site we were on last week, I went to put the bag of dog poo in the appropriate bin, to find the lid off and the poo bags strewn everywhere. I picked them all up and put them back in the bin and put the lid on. I’m still wondering what did it. Weird hey?

Reactions: Jim
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why should I pay for my trailer, my mate didn't pay extra for his car! "Yes, but his car was on an "A" Frame, yours isn't"
But the "A"frame people say they are trailers?:) Can't have it both ways.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back