Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
should`ve gone to specsavers ?

if that was aimed at me?

upload_2018-9-30_20-39-58.png

I don't know the full interpretation of this symbol, but my take on it is motorhome parking not necessarily an aire for overnighting

I know it is allowed, or at least not stopped

But my take on it is that it is tolerated

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
if that was aimed at me?

View attachment 258959

I don't know the full interpretation of this symbol, but my take on it is motorhome parking not necessarily an aire for overnighting

I know it is allowed, or at least not stopped

But my take on it is that it is tolerated

You are wrong.

That sign means No Zebras so you are ok to park

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58
The screenshot of Google Maps posted by @Two on Tour shows it labelled as Aire du Camping-Car
If the site management weren`t in agreement, I`m sure they would have it re-classified

I don't think we are in disagreement here, but if your TT misquotes the speed limit I doubt it would be an acceptable defence in law for speeding

Just because Google have named the area doesn't make it 'right'

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Ny recent trip away I overnighted here no problem reason I did was I had read of people having troubles at Gravelines I also thought it was a quicker option. Saves driving down of the main road etc and back again all was ok bit noisy for a while but that calmed down I assume trains stop for a good few hours possibly.
However on my return I got sent away for being to early so I pulled up at the aire/car park whatever you want to call it on entering I spotted some migrants I suppose we can call them sitting in the trees and bushes broad daylight it was. I made sure I parked in a way I could wartch them and decided I wouldnt go for dinner inside the complex. I didnt wait long and 2 of them came walking right towards my van but walked past they briefly dissapeared but then I see them undo @tacr2man scooter cover then one hide inside the over secured cover and walked off. Long story short tacr2man sorted it while I stood by si this did happen just because plenty have had no problems dosnt mean there isnt a problem you just have to asses the risks.

the full migrant story is on the Mosel thread I believe

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Migrants can get on at any place but this doesn't make Cite Europe any worse than anywhere else. We've stayed there at least 4 times a year (two trips out and two return) for 11+ years and not seen ONE migrant on there..
If they did 'board' they're as likely to go further south as they are getting to the tunnel as we park their on our way into France and on our way home.
The signs to the Aire are identical to any Aire in France, so why are people saying it is tolerated? If overnighting is permitted at any Aire then why is Cite Europe any different. No signs saying parking/overnighting not allowed etc so its as official as any Aire

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
and I think there might be an 8m length limit and no trailers

Sorry David, but with my trailer we go to 9.5m and park there at least four times a year. There are regularly camping cars with trailers parked up. I can remember one was a glider trailer so much longer than us.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As i said in my post, there were a couple of artics in there last week - think they were a tad longer than 8m and nobody seemed to bother.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ny recent trip away I overnighted here no problem reason I did was I had read of people having troubles at Gravelines I also thought it was a quicker option. Saves driving down of the main road etc and back again all was ok bit noisy for a while but that calmed down I assume trains stop for a good few hours possibly.
However on my return I got sent away for being to early so I pulled up at the aire/car park whatever you want to call it on entering I spotted some migrants I suppose we can call them sitting in the trees and bushes broad daylight it was. I made sure I parked in a way I could wartch them and decided I wouldnt go for dinner inside the complex. I didnt wait long and 2 of them came walking right towards my van but walked past they briefly dissapeared but then I see them undo @tacr2man scooter cover then one hide inside the over secured cover and walked off. Long story short tacr2man sorted it while I stood by si this did happen just because plenty have had no problems dosnt mean there isnt a problem you just have to asses the risks.

the full migrant story is on the Mosel thread I believe
We were there that day saw migrants and made sure our Eddievanbitz alarm was on all night.
It must be very quiet on a Sunday as the shopping centre is closed I think .

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
we have now stopped there twice and still don't get it, as said already it is simply the only place that MH's can park for the shopping area, it's not an overnight aire, although clearly tolerated

Our last use was an evening crossing out, parked up there for an early get go

I certainly wouldn't do that in reverse, the idea of arriving in the UK for rush hour is the last thing I would aim at

But we are all different and that is only my opinion, it is different not wrong, that goes for those of you that love the place (y)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Strang burgers motorhomer they have to make a pilgrimage to a supermarket car park 20 miles from Dover and wax lyrical how wonderful it is to be there.
Dreadful way to start or finish a holiday.
Cheap of course and cheap poor quality wine available.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Strang burgers motorhomer they have to make a pilgrimage to a supermarket car park 20 miles from Dover and wax lyrical how wonderful it is to be there.
Disagree, I don`t think anyone is saying the place is wonderful, it`s just safe and convenient if you have an early or late crossing.
Also handy if you need provisions or fuel.
As for the wine, they have a decent selection including some quality stuff, but being motorhomers we go for quantity over quality. Same goes for the beer too (y)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

We travel very late at night going over so it’s a convenient overnight stop. The return journey is also late with a very early train home. Cheaper train and less traffic on the 5 motorways we have to travel on in England. We make sure we enjoy campsites and prettier aires in the rest of France, Belgium and the Netherlands though.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hmmmm? After being up and traveling for most of the day (maybe 04.00 start, we look forward to having our day in a town in Kent, cross and then park up on Cite Europe for 8/10 hours (usually night) before we make our way, generally Eastern France and beyond. It does what it says on the tin. It over overnight rest with good security.
Yes, it's free but we don't use it because its free, we use it because its the most convenient place to get to so I, as the driver, can rest for the road ahead.
The only time I hear people say derogatory things about it are the ones who don't do Aires anyway..
I travel over, usually late at night and I, for one, am not going to a campsite at 10/11 at night..
One man's meat.
I'm contrast. I like it

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Some of us are glass half full people. (y)

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well if I get migrants on board they will have a nice trip into France :whistle:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Maybe if a rule is introduced to make the parking only available for arriving MH’s the migrants would also stop using it (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It is signposted as Parking Camping-Car --- Motorhome Parking Area ..

but does that make it an "aire de camping car " ?

You decide.. see text below

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 08.17.21.png

Quelle est la différence entre aire de stationnement et aire de services pour les camping-cars ?
http://www.lagazettedescommunes.com...nt-et-aire-de-services-pour-les-camping-cars/

Translated by Google..

What is the difference between a parking area and a service area for motorhomes?

PUBLISHED ON 09/02/2012 By DELPHINE GERBEAU • Club: Club Techni.Cités
2 | REACT
printFacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle More
The camper is both a vehicle and a form of accommodation similar to the caravan. It is submitted as a vehicle to the provisions of the Highway Code, in terms of parking on public roads at the CGCT and parking on the private domain in the Planning Code. An interministerial circular (Minister of the Interior, Minister of Urban Planning and Minister of Tourism) of 27 June 1985, amended on 19 October 2004, clarified the relationship between these various regulations and recalled the necessary motivation of municipal by-laws limiting the right of parking of motorhomes.

Local authorities convinced of the economic benefits of this form of tourism on the activity of their municipality implement a policy of welcoming motorhomes, including the development of service areas and parking.
These spaces are not subject to any regulatory definition.

In practice, the parking area is distinguished from the service area. The parking area is a reserved area for parking open to motorhomes day and night.
Above 50 places, it is subject to the permit to develop for car parks (R.421-19 j of the Code de l'urbanisme).

The service area is a technical sanitary device proposed to campers to carry out the necessary operations such as the emptying of waste water and the supply of drinking water.

Today there are nearly 3,400 parking and service areas in France.

In spite of all these initiatives aiming at a better cohabitation between the motorhomes and the other users of the public road, difficulties related to the parking remain.
In addition, some users deplore the inability of current devices to offer quality reception conditions.

The report drawn up by the Economic Affairs Committee of the National Assembly on the status of recreational housing concluded in one of its proposals the need for a definition of the specific areas intended for the reception of campsites. with the establishment of a specific contribution to help finance the development of these areas.

This proposal has received favorable support from the professionals of the motorhome and the French federation of camping and caravanning who wish a clarification of the status of these parking areas.

The drafting of the implementing texts of the law proposal on recreational housing, voted in first reading in the National Assembly on November 16, will be the opportunity to conduct a wide consultation on this topic before a possible evolution of the regulations.

In any case, the harmonious development of territories, the attractiveness of destinations, respect for sites and support for tourist activity remain at the center of the government's concerns.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We use Cite Europe as a first stop after a late tunnel crossing and, on return, before an early-morning start. It does the job for us, in that it provides a place for a good night's sleep before or after a long day of driving.
We were there last Thursday night. It felt safe and there were lots of vans on there (including 4 caravans of Travellers, who were parked at the edge of the car park.)
We've never seen any migrants, although I'm sure there must be some around, and we'll continue to use it as a very convenient stop-over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back