Cite Europe (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It is signposted as Parking Camping-Car --- Motorhome Parking Area ..

but does that make it an "aire de camping car " ?

You decide.. see text below

View attachment 258998

Quelle est la différence entre aire de stationnement et aire de services pour les camping-cars ?
http://www.lagazettedescommunes.com...nt-et-aire-de-services-pour-les-camping-cars/

Translated by Google..

What is the difference between a parking area and a service area for motorhomes?

PUBLISHED ON 09/02/2012 By DELPHINE GERBEAU • Club: Club Techni.Cités
2 | REACT
printFacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle More
The camper is both a vehicle and a form of accommodation similar to the caravan. It is submitted as a vehicle to the provisions of the Highway Code, in terms of parking on public roads at the CGCT and parking on the private domain in the Planning Code. An interministerial circular (Minister of the Interior, Minister of Urban Planning and Minister of Tourism) of 27 June 1985, amended on 19 October 2004, clarified the relationship between these various regulations and recalled the necessary motivation of municipal by-laws limiting the right of parking of motorhomes.

Local authorities convinced of the economic benefits of this form of tourism on the activity of their municipality implement a policy of welcoming motorhomes, including the development of service areas and parking.
These spaces are not subject to any regulatory definition.

In practice, the parking area is distinguished from the service area. The parking area is a reserved area for parking open to motorhomes day and night.
Above 50 places, it is subject to the permit to develop for car parks (R.421-19 j of the Code de l'urbanisme).

The service area is a technical sanitary device proposed to campers to carry out the necessary operations such as the emptying of waste water and the supply of drinking water.

Today there are nearly 3,400 parking and service areas in France.

In spite of all these initiatives aiming at a better cohabitation between the motorhomes and the other users of the public road, difficulties related to the parking remain.
In addition, some users deplore the inability of current devices to offer quality reception conditions.

The report drawn up by the Economic Affairs Committee of the National Assembly on the status of recreational housing concluded in one of its proposals the need for a definition of the specific areas intended for the reception of campsites. with the establishment of a specific contribution to help finance the development of these areas.

This proposal has received favorable support from the professionals of the motorhome and the French federation of camping and caravanning who wish a clarification of the status of these parking areas.

The drafting of the implementing texts of the law proposal on recreational housing, voted in first reading in the National Assembly on November 16, will be the opportunity to conduct a wide consultation on this topic before a possible evolution of the regulations.

In any case, the harmonious development of territories, the attractiveness of destinations, respect for sites and support for tourist activity remain at the center of the government's concerns.
Surely Aire de Camping-Car simply translates into ‘Area for Camping-Cars’.
So, how does ‘Parking for Camping-Cars’ differ from ‘Area’?

To my simple mind they sound like the same thing.

Richard.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Strang burgers motorhomer they have to make a pilgrimage to a supermarket car park 20 miles from Dover and wax lyrical how wonderful it is to be there.
Dreadful way to start or finish a holiday.
Cheap of course and cheap poor quality wine available.

Motorhome snobbery at its best.....

And a funster too(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Surely Aire de Camping-Car simply translates into ‘Area for Camping-Cars’.
So, how does ‘Parking for Camping-Cars’ differ from ‘Area’?

To my simple mind they sound like the same thing.

Richard.

Parking generally has no services.. for example, Cite Europe Motorhome Parking. (There are however services at the Carefore service station)

Aires de services camping-car (that is the correct name ) have services..

51soo7K-LAL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

the French article I posted explains the difference between a 'parking area' and a 'service area'

Quote:
In practice, the parking area is distinguished from the service area. The parking area is a reserved area for parking open to motorhomes day and night.
Above 50 places, it is subject to the permit to develop for car parks (R.421-19 j of the Code de l'urbanisme).

The service area is a technical sanitary device proposed to campers to carry out the necessary operations such as the emptying of waste water and the supply of drinking water.
Unquote:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
It works well for us as we often travel after School has finished so a evening crossing stock up on supplies and ready to go wherever very early the next morning, upon return we often will travel the last day and instead of crossing that evening get a very early crossing back and with the time difference can be back for the start of school or a new work day and often with school holidays that extra day makes all the difference.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It is signposted as Parking Camping-Car --- Motorhome Parking Area ..

but does that make it an "aire de camping car " ?
But, being pedantic, you said nothing about ‘Aires de services camping-car’.
In any case, there are services at Cite Europe. It’s just that they are at a different location, the fuel station, as they are a quite a few Aires. The aire at Gravelines comes to mind.

At the end of the day all that really matters, whatever it’s legal definition, is that it is a very convenient and popular place to stop for a night when travelling. That after all is what Aires de camping-car are all about.
Pedant mode now switched off. :LOL::LOL:

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But, being pedantic, you said nothing about ‘Aires de services camping-car’.
In any case, there are services at Cite Europe. It’s just that they are at a different location, the fuel station, as they are a quite a few Aires. The aire at Gravelines comes to mind.

At the end of the day all that really matters, whatever it’s legal definition, is that it is a very convenient and popular place to stop for a night when travelling. That after all is what Aires de camping-car are all about.
Pedant mode now switched off. :LOL::LOL:

Richard.

I don't make up the names or definitions for French Aires de camping cars, be they with or without services..

you could ask on the post on this site.. I have no other information.

there is a comment box..

http://www.lagazettedescommunes.com...nt-et-aire-de-services-pour-les-camping-cars/

I have used Cite Europe and always understood it as motorhome parking.. no more no less , it is also listed in Campercontact as Motorhome Parking. https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr...coquelles/18504/parking-supermarche-carrefour

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Who does, only a quickie-2weeks so not that far. Tomorrow Stellar plage

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Ny recent trip away I overnighted here no problem reason I did was I had read of people having troubles at Gravelines I also thought it was a quicker option. Saves driving down of the main road etc and back again all was ok bit noisy for a while but that calmed down I assume trains stop for a good few hours possibly.
However on my return I got sent away for being to early so I pulled up at the aire/car park whatever you want to call it on entering I spotted some migrants I suppose we can call them sitting in the trees and bushes broad daylight it was. I made sure I parked in a way I could wartch them and decided I wouldnt go for dinner inside the complex. I didnt wait long and 2 of them came walking right towards my van but walked past they briefly dissapeared but then I see them undo @tacr2man scooter cover then one hide inside the over secured cover and walked off. Long story short tacr2man sorted it while I stood by si this did happen just because plenty have had no problems dosnt mean there isnt a problem you just have to asses the risks.

the full migrant story is on the Mosel thread I believe

Same happened to us overnighting at Bilbao ferry terminal last year - chased them off though!!

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
We stayed at Cité Europe on Monday night - we got lost trying to find the car park and then got lost in the morning trying to get to the Pet Reception - and that was after reading this thread! I’m not sure why it’s so complicated- or perhaps it’s us being a bit thick. But we’re glad to have found it and will definitely use it again (if we can find it again)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If you're unsure, the easiest way to find the Pet Reception Centre is simply to use the normal Eurotunnel access, off the motorway. As you approach the checkin booths, keep right - you can't miss the signs.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We made a wrong turn last week and finished up at the Pet Passport office. As we were wondering where to go next, for no apparent reason the gate at the end slid open. Result! It brings you into the Lidl car park and an easy a shortcut to the MoHo parking. Can you now use this short cut instead of driving all the way around?

upload_2018-10-6_17-9-46.png

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Going IN to the moho parking I wouldn't think there would be much advantage. But coming OUT to go to check-in would be much shorter - and more convenient if you needed to go to Pet Reception.

Not really sure why there's a gate there, it's all outside the secured area.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Going IN to the moho parking I wouldn't think there would be much advantage. But coming OUT to go to check-in would be much shorter - and more convenient if you needed to go to Pet Reception.

Not really sure why there's a gate there, it's all outside the secured area.

That gate opens from the inside only,electronically. It wont open from the outside if you drive up to it ,but if its open then its a bonus.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That gate opens from the inside only,electronically. It wont open from the outside if you drive up to it ,but if its open then its a bonus.
That's what happened to us last Wednesday morning, ie, we came down from the MH Aire, turned right at Lidl, and down to the gate................which was closed. :(. We were then forced to follow the road out up to the roundabout, and come back down again. On the second trip round, the blooming gate was open. :doh:

Although we've never been bothered by immigrants, we are always mindful of the possibility, (especially after @tacr2man's experience recently), and we always, always, set the alarm. Much against the grain for me (for safety reasons), we also operated the D Lock on the driver's door before bedding down, and released again it once awake. (y)

Gravelines used to be our favourite stopover before a crossing, but not these days unfortunately. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We made a wrong turn last week and finished up at the Pet Passport office. As we were wondering where to go next, for no apparent reason the gate at the end slid open. Result! It brings you into the Lidl car park and an easy a shortcut to the MoHo parking. Can you now use this short cut instead of driving all the way around?

View attachment 260026
On our first visit this year we used the Sat Nag to direct us from the Ferry Port. Arriving after 10pm it was really dark and raining heavily and we got a bit worried when it directed us off the M/Way at the Euro Tunnel entrance. Then directed us to the Exit/Pet reception area, as we approached said gate we were really worried thinking we had been sent up a blind alley so sat looking at the gate for a minute or 2 thinking what to do when we saw the very small sign saying to drive up to the gate to open it. It duly did open and as you say it is just round the corner from the MH parking.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Stayed Friday night, or more correctly Saturday morning as we didn’t pull in till 1:30! Loads of space, about 30 vans in total, supermarket for 9am bread run, breakfast and on the road by 10. A great place to stop either end of trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back