Cite Europe - man under van (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Wow.. this Cite Europe place must be the bestest place ever judging by the amount of folk that want to stay there.. Regardless of any risk.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know , I have just had a serious thought, really.
Do you think it could possibly be our van, that deters them when we go there and they leave. As we just havnt seen any migrants at all, seriously.
IMG_20200717_183110411.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We are thinking of putting a 'We live in Poland' sticker on our GB-registered MH. Should put them off as they would get no government help here.

Won't need it if we re-register.

Geoff
They don't get Government help here either. I'm aghast at the ignorant amongst us who think that an illegal immigrant can just rock up at the local council office and be given a house and thousands of pounds in benefits.

The clue in the whole thing is that they are ILLEGAL. Look up the word and see what it means. An illegal person would be detained and their staus checked as to whether they had any legitimate claim for asylum. Looking for a better life; ie an economic migrant is not suffiicent. They would have to prove persecution or that their lives were in danger in their home country, otherwise they are on the next flight out of the country.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
They don't get Government help here either. I'm aghast at the ignorant amongst us who think that an illegal immigrant can just rock up at the local council office and be given a house and thousands of pounds in benefits.

The clue in the whole thing is that they are ILLEGAL. Look up the word and see what it means. An illegal person would be detained and their staus checked as to whether they had any legitimate claim for asylum. Looking for a better life; ie an economic migrant is not suffiicent. They would have to prove persecution or that their lives were in danger in their home country, otherwise they are on the next flight out of the country.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Because it's handy and have everything we want, and we must have been at least 20 times over the years and never seen any sign of a migrant or any trouble.
Including a few illegal immigrants to help at home if you don’t spot them before heading back :rolleyes:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971

Another two hundred came across the channel this weekend, explain to me how we will send them back? And to where?
When they don’t carry any form of ID Or proof of citizenship of any European country?

Deleted User
Another two hundred came across the channel this weekend, explain to me how we will send them back? And to where?
When they don’t carry any form of ID Or proof of citizenship of any European country?
So, you are obviously of the mindset that they can just rock up at the nearest concil office and be given a house and money.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
When we were returning on 17th March, we had to be so vigilant, as immigrants were constantly pacing the road and car parks between Lidl's and the Police Station. The area was heaving with MHs coming home. We had to warn a couple of owners that their vehicles were being eyed up as potential carriers. 😮
One elderly lady threatened a couple of immigrants with her walking stick. 😂

Cheers,

Jock.
Rita can be lethal with that walking stick. 😂

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So, you are obviously of the mindset that they can just rock up at the nearest concil office and be given a house and money.
They rock up to their extended family, or community.
They are given advice on how & where to get assistance under their legal entitlements...
...then they rock up to the council offices to claim their housing & benefits, usually accompanied by a translator [paid for by us] and a 'legal' advisor.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Once in the country, by whatever means - illegal or otherwise - they are helped to claim asylum.
Until that claim is decided, they are free to remain but cannot work or pay taxes... but are entitled to be homed and paid a subsistence.
https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get
"What you'll get
You can ask for somewhere to live, a cash allowance or both as an asylum seeker."

Black & White... housing and cash

Deleted User
They rock up to their extended family, or community.
They are given advice on how & where to get assistance under their legal entitlements...
...then they rock up to the council offices to claim their housing & benefits, usually accompanied by a translator [paid for by us] and a 'legal' advisor.
From an immigration lawyer website....

"those who have made it to the country illegally are considered asylum seekers until the point that their application is either approved and they are then considered a refugee or rejected at which point they will be potentially removed from the country"

and...

"If you are currently seeking asylum, then as you will no doubt be aware, you have no right to claim benefits in the UK and you will also not be able to work"

So no, they cannot simply rock up and claim housing and benefits. Only if they have a partner in the country who has UK/EU status, or children who are established, British citizens and have been here for more than 7 years, can they make a claim to stay.

You need to stop reading the Daily Mail manual on immigration. You know the one that said 78 million Turks set to move to Britain.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
From an immigration lawyer website....

"those who have made it to the country illegally are considered asylum seekers until the point that their application is either approved and they are then considered a refugee or rejected at which point they will be potentially removed from the country"

and...

"If you are currently seeking asylum, then as you will no doubt be aware, you have no right to claim benefits in the UK and you will also not be able to work"

So no, they cannot simply rock up and claim housing and benefits. Only if they have a partner in the country who has UK/EU status, or children who are established, British citizens and have been here for more than 7 years, can they make a claim to stay.

You need to stop reading the Daily Mail manual on immigration. You know the one that said 78 million Turks set to move to Britain.
Err - that's what I said...
Once in the country, by whatever means - illegal or otherwise - they are helped to claim asylum.
Until that claim is decided, they are free to remain but cannot work or pay taxes... but are entitled to be homed and paid a subsistence.
"What you'll get
You can ask for somewhere to live, a cash allowance or both as an asylum seeker."

From the government website - not the Daily Mail :doh:
Are you playing semantics with "benefits"

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
hey would have to prove persecution or that their lives were in danger in their home country, otherwise they are on the next flight out of the country.
Now you are dreaming.

"What you'll get

Exactly

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have to feel sympathy with anyone who genuinely feels they are at risk in their own country - and that the only way they feel they will be safe is to risk their lives trying to get elsewhere.

I also think that the migrants have been misinformed about what will happen to them in Britain if they are caught. But how to get the message across that they will be at least as well off in France or Italy or any other point of entry into the EU ?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Do you know , I have just had a serious thought, really.
Do you think it could possibly be our van, that deters them when we go there and they leave. As we just havnt seen any migrants at all, seriously.View attachment 412271
I’m not surprised - it’s when they see you both wearing full riot gear that they give you a wide berth 😂

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks for the info. You did well to stay cool and drive round to get the police.
The problem is just how desperate will they get? An experience like this could put someone off travelling through France for good - or give them a funny turn. Especially if they become confrontational.
Unfortunately, we’ve seen such issues at/near most ports. We moved at 1am from Dieppe because of migrants creeping between vans. Ouistreham - they were stopping traffic to the port in large groups.
It’s not just Calais Cite de Europe.
I would no longer stop near a port anymore. Im
More concerned about what damage they’d cause. But each to their own.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When we were at Ouistreham 2 years ago a van just pulled into the aire near the port and advised that 2 illegals had hidden under his bike rack cover as he had stopped at the local carrefour. He had noticed some movement and checked his bikes only to find 2 young men hiding under his bike cover. He said they just climbed off, smiled and walked away. He said he wouldn't cover his bikes again. :oops:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008

So who is paying for the cost of the 74 rooms housing illegal immigrants at the Best Western Hotel in Bromsgrove .Try and book a room fully booked untilJune 2021 ,all meals , social workers , interpreters , medical , and £40 per week subsistence money. Tough World

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Just had a look under our van the back axle is quite close to the bodywork when stationary so wouldn’t want to be on top of it whilst driving, they must be desperate.
Gets me thinking what could I store under there.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Here's an idea that might work, when you get off the tunnel/ferry go straight to Cite De Europe and park for an hour, do your shopping etc and then drive 250 miles SOUTH before stopping to check under the van, will only need a few times to be done and will maybe stop opportunists , My understanding is that as asylum seekers they should be given sanctuary in the first country they cross to, not given free rein to transit Europe. Given that it is in the main Turkey and Greece who cannot wait to get rid of them and that it would seem any aid is indicative of being made welcome it is a problem that will not go away, people are desperate to better their living standards and escape persecution, I don;t have an answer for it other than perhaps a return to colonial administration of former colonies of european states but then it would lead to all kinds of claims about racism and white privilege not the tribalism and corruption they are trying to escape from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back