Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
I like to think I, like the majority of people, am not racist, sexist, ageist or any of the other 'ists' that have become common nowadays. I treat everyone as I find them regardless of their race, colour or creed etc. However, as far as immigrants are concerned I have to point out that it would seem as though a very large majority are young, fit males, mostly with decent clothes and expensive phones and enough money to pay thousands to people smugglers. If they are fleeing terrible conditions and persecution in their home countries what happens to the wives and children they have abandoned to their fate ?

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know if anyone watched the recent BBC documentary "Once upon a time in Iraq" but it confirms how we (UK and USA) well and truly screwed the Iraqi people after our so called invasion earlier this century. We wrecked the country, its infrastructure and its dignity setting it back 100 years or more. So who can blame any of them trying to find a better, safer life rather than suffering the life that they have been through. If you haven't watched said documentary l urge you to do so.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
32,500 migrants entered Spain from Africa in 2019, many scaling barbed wire fences surrounding the Spanish enclaves of Melilla and Ceuta In Morocco. Have a look at news footage on YouTube showing young fit men scaling these seemingly impenetrable barriers over the last few years.

Where are the older migrants? Where are the women and children? Happy to stay and lead their lives under persecution or just abandoned?

Over the years we’ve seen countless heartbreaking scenes of refugees fleeing war torn and politically unstable regimes, bedraggled lines of people, all ages, families sticking together.

What worries me about these young men is their aggression and determination without fear and using whatever means necessary to get into Europe. Ideal citizens?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Yes, that is part of the issue, isn't it - ''ideal citizens''. I'm sure lots of them would be great to have, with their can-do attitude and the spunk and inventiveness they display in trying to achieve their aim (assuming those energies are channeled in the right direction). But, sadly, a large number have been exposed to influences in their formative years that make their norms incompatible with our own and that leads to much less chance of smooth assimilation, an assimilation that would prove beneficial, and not harmful, to us. I'm not just talking about child soldiers or people from war-torn areas (God help them) having become potentially inured to violence compared to western societies, but also just social ''attitudes.'' To give an example - I work in Africa in the oil industry and the company I work for drilled and installed water wells in several villages as a PR/goodwill gesture to the local communities to give them access to clean and readily available water. But within short order, some of the local men destroyed the wells because they felt it was emancipating the women - giving the females too much spare time on their hands instead of having to walk miles with their pots and bowls to collect water from the river. Imagine the difficulties in changing that mindset to fit in with our own egalitarian aims. There are a million aspects to it all and, despite the OP saying he wasn't interested in us digressing into this, here we are. I don't think we'll solve this ''problem'' on a motorhome forum, but it's good at least that we can swap opinions (politely) about it and share info with each other. Thanks to the OP, too, for the info. I will definitely be checking under my own van from now on. I thought I had all bases covered with my extra security locks on all doors and apertures, but it seems not..............

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We are there now and the security guard came over to warn us about the migrants trying to hide under the vans .... nice guy

Lynne has gone shopping and I am staying with the van he is warning everyone about the migrants even the French in cars

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We are there now and the security guard came over to warn us about the migrants trying to hide under the vans .... nice guy

Lynne has gone shopping and I am staying with the van he is warning everyone about the migrants even the French in cars

Have you heard about migrants who dress up as security guards and go knocking on vans to find out which are occupied? Then tip off their mates - for a 'fee' of course.

Tony V

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
If you have bikes on the back and have covered them, it might be a good idea to remove the cover at some point. Some friends have just been advised to do this as a young migrant had managed to get into the gap between a van and the bike rack and under the cover [not theirs]. Luckily he was spotted and asked to leave.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Must have got worse for the security guard to go warning people in all vehicles.
Keep safe and secure if you stop off here folks

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The migrants who come over are taken to a border control office and as none have papers they are then released and told to report to an immigration centre on a date in the future. How many do you think are going to turn up?
our prisons are full as are the few detention centres we have and they were run by G4 not sure now though

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
He had noticed some movement and checked his bikes only to find 2 young men hiding under his bike cover.
I wouldn't be doing that until I'd sprayed under with a deterent.
2,500 migrants entered Spain from Africa in 2019, many scaling barbed wire fences surrounding the Spanish enclaves of Melilla and Ceuta In Morocco. Have a look at news footage on YouTube showing young fit men scaling these seemingly impenetrable barriers over the last few years.
Yes & they go straight back through the border gates. I've no idea why they bother.
Ideal citizens?

What do you think?
Imagine the difficulties in changing that mindset to fit in
You can't that is why they need to be stopped from coming or despatched in any way-
If any of them would like to crawl on top of my axle this afternoon, I will gladly drop them off in Dijon.
For a small fee obviously.
But I bet you wouldn't be happy if they snapped off the abs connectors usually located on top of the axles.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have to feel sympathy with anyone who genuinely feels they are at risk in their own country - and that the only way they feel they will be safe is to risk their lives trying to get elsewhere.
Agreed.
But not so much for those who don't stay in the first country of safety, as per the rules.
And none for those illegal economic criminal 'migrants' who flout the law, trying to queue jump.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Agreed.
But not so much for those who don't stay in the first country of safety, as per the rules.
And none for those illegal economic criminal 'migrants' who flout the law, trying to queue jump.

Exactly.

Become legal in the first country of safety and then re-assess the situation and find out all the details.

I do wonder if many of the people trying to get to the UK think it is a land of milk and honey with streets of gold .......... if so then a reality check and education would be in order.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Don’t be blaming the illegals if France is turning a blind eye and Britain doesn’t have a clue what to do to with them for fear of offending someone! It’s a cohesive, fair and workable policy that’s required.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We popped in for the first time yesterday. As we drove into the M/H parking area, there were 3 or 4 of them hiding in the trees. There was a couple of unattended motorhomes so I decided to stay and give the dog a walk while the rest of the family popped inside. As soon as I took the dog out you could see he made them uneasy and they walked off to find a car with a large roof box instead :)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I wouldn't be doing that until I'd sprayed under with a deterent.
Yes & they go straight back through the border gates. I've no idea why they bother.

What do you think?
You can't that is why they need to be stopped from coming or despatched in any way-

But I bet you wouldn't be happy if they snapped off the abs connectors usually located on top of the axles.
I’m sure the small fee would cover any damaged caused. :rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Where are the older migrants? Where are the women and children? Happy to stay and lead their lives under persecution or just abandoned?
Isn't it the case that once they've been granted leave to remain they can bring all their family over?
On their 'Right to have a Family life'?

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
They don't get Government help here either. I'm aghast at the ignorant amongst us who think that an illegal immigrant can just rock up at the local council office and be given a house and thousands of pounds in benefits.

The clue in the whole thing is that they are ILLEGAL. Look up the word and see what it means. An illegal person would be detained and their staus checked as to whether they had any legitimate claim for asylum. Looking for a better life; ie an economic migrant is not suffiicent. They would have to prove persecution or that their lives were in danger in their home country, otherwise they are on the next flight out of the country.
Meanwhile during the six months it all takes, the illegals are put up in 4 star hotels and given free bed and board!
Phil

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't know if anyone watched the recent BBC documentary "Once upon a time in Iraq" but it confirms how we (UK and USA) well and truly screwed the Iraqi people after our so called invasion earlier this century. We wrecked the country, its infrastructure and its dignity setting it back 100 years or more. So who can blame any of them trying to find a better, safer life rather than suffering the life that they have been through. If you haven't watched said documentary l urge you to do so.

Indeed it is a real shame that the lives of genuine Asylum seekers from places like Iraq and Syria have been made so much more difficult by all and sundry jumping on the bandwagon for ambitious reasons.

its also a shame that amongst their neighbours, some of which like Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc are very wealthy countries with similar cultures only Jordan are willing to offer any help to them.

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Isn't it the case that once they've been granted leave to remain they can bring all their family over?
Surely, if conditions are so bad that they will risk everything to get away, the people they leave behind will suffer even more? If they were allowed to leave without sanctions they wouldn't need to use people smugglers. Logic says they are not all kind, mistreated, misunderstood young men who only want to escape, find a better life and set up a picket fenced home they can then bring their patiently waiting families to. I'm sure there are some genuine asylum seekers but common sense and observation tells us the majority are anything but.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Surely, if conditions are so bad that they will risk everything to get away, the people they leave behind will suffer even more?
I've heard/read in the News and documentaries that the family clubs together to raise the money for the journey/smugglers/traffickers and they send the fittest member because they have the best chance of making the trip to U.K. and thereafter send money back from Benefits or working under the radar until the rest can follow. If they never return their countries are denuded of their skills and the future will be very grim.
Whether that's the case or not I do wonder what would have happened if our heroic young men and women had run away when Britain was at war. I appreciate that it's not a fair comparison since on this island we were never in such dire and dangerous conditions as in the Middle East and without warring internal tribes/factions, nevertheless........... :unsure: :unsure:
Unfortunately, if the rest of the world doesn't take action to make it safe for them to stay in their own countries the migrations will never end until all those who want to be here are here. Millions potentially. Mind you, the West's interventions so far are partly to blame for the instability. They didn't dare rebel under Saddam and Gaddafi.

Last edited:

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Don’t be blaming the illegals if France is turning a blind eye and Britain doesn’t have a clue what to do to with them for fear of offending someone! It’s a cohesive, fair and workable policy that’s required.

Do you mean like Operation Sovereign Borders, a blueprint if ever there was one.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006

My point is they have obviously abandoned family, wives and children in the first place unlike the traditional mass migrations for valid reasons. Yes they can sponsor family if their asylum is granted, but like the Australian policy dictates, you forego any right of asylum if you try to enter the country illegally because it isn’t fair to cue jump all of the deserving cases who apply through the correct proces.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back