Chinese diesel heater (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2023
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
XWLB Sprinter conver
Hi,
We have recently purchased an XLWB Sprinter conversion. We had it made to our spec. We have noticed several problems which I am putting right. The latest issue is to do with the connection of the fuel line for our deisel heater to the vehicles main fuel tank. I will attach a photo as I would welcome people's opinions.
I feel what has been done is an absolute no no. The discolouration of the silicone is already a concern and I am just waiting for it to leak.

If anyone can advise me in an official capacity I would be very grateful so I can work out my next move with the company who carried out the work.

20230909_140346.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
That is terrible deffinitaly need sorting, you normally take the feed from the access hatch on the top of the tank where the fuel gauge and vehicle fuel outlet is.

I think I would take the tank off and get a plate welded on, looks like a plastic tank so you can get it plastic welded.

Edit
Just noticed you said it was made to your spec, so you should take it back to the converter and demand a new tank.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
doesn't look like fuel hose...

this is the correct type

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
No expert but I would have thought the feed should have been taken from the top of the tank not the side, compromising integrity and silicone * gasket* around a petrochemical storage tank is a no no! Bodge would be a good description

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
the issue may be now aswell is that your fuel tank has been compromised IF the connection has been made on the side and it isnt just fed through a plastic shroud covering the fuel tank and the connection is in fact where it should be, at the top of the fuel tank.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It needs a new fuel tank, the connection looks pretty amateurish and the sealant may not be compatible with deisel so not only a leak but contaminating your fuel.
The deisel heater fuel is also the wrong type you need the stiff white nylon type line not that squshy green one.the tank connection is one that came with the desiel heater and is only usually used in the plastic tank that's supplied with the deisel kit.as said the usual fitting place is at the top of the tank,where there is access and no chance of leaking. There is access to the tank between the seats under the floor rubber covers.
They don't look to be a very professional conversion company.
I would be checking tank other tank installs abs any gas also.
I just rechecked the photo and noted that there are no securing clips on the fuel line ,its just pushed on o_O there will also be several other connection along the line ,filter ,pump, etc all should be secured with pipe clips

OP
OP
Maintenance Pete
Sep 11, 2023
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
XWLB Sprinter conver
Thank you for the input thus far.

What you have said so far is what I thought tbh. I have installed one of these on a previous Mercedes before we treated ourselves to a custom build. I followed the instructions meticulously and I was so pleased with my install.
The company we got this from make a very desirable looking product, once you start looking at things below the surface, I have found so many problems, some small, some major which I am quite capable of fixing.

I have nearly finished re-installing the diesel heater when I spotted the diesel tank issue. I know about the clips jimbohorlicks and I can confirm none were uses along the fuel line up to the heater. The pump is also on the wrong orientation.

I will not go back to the company as I have zero confidence in their work. I can complete the work much better than they can but I resent the cost and my time, we got this camper to enjoy time away, not as a project. We are now at the point where we have decided to put in a claim via the small claims court process.

I was hoping someone could confirm how they have fitted the tap into the fuel tank is illegal. To me it looks so dangerous together with no clips on any part of the fuel line. I do very much appreciated your feedback.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I think you are obliged to advise the company first ,in writing and give them the opportunity to fix the issues or have some one else fix them at thier cost before you go down the small claims route.I would make a list of everything that you have found and also what you have put right ( such that you could use the van) and present that to them formally

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thank you for the input thus far.

What you have said so far is what I thought tbh. I have installed one of these on a previous Mercedes before we treated ourselves to a custom build. I followed the instructions meticulously and I was so pleased with my install.
The company we got this from make a very desirable looking product, once you start looking at things below the surface, I have found so many problems, some small, some major which I am quite capable of fixing.

I was hoping someone could confirm how they have fitted the tap into the fuel tank is illegal. To me it looks so dangerous together with no clips on any part of the fuel line. I do very much appreciated your feedback.
i dont think there is any legality ,just the low standard of workmanship being outside a professional standard tjat you have paid for. You have used a professional converter that you expected to provide a high standard of workmanship rather than relying on your own competance as a skilled diyer.
In order to prove your case you may require an inspection report from a professional company. ( not a competitor)

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
I'm sure an mot inspector would help with any documentation. If that cheap yellow/green pipe ruptures and the ruptured pipe drops lower than the fuel tank it will siphon the whole tank onto the floor/road.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
doesn't look like fuel hose...

this is the correct type

The deisel heater fuel is also the wrong type
But it is unfortunately what they supply with the kits these days.
you need the stiff white nylon type line not that squshy green one.
THis^^^^^^^^^is what is needed
We are now at the point where we have decided to put in a claim via the small claims court process.
I would also after notifying them .

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Looks like aquarium air stone pump pipe sweated on??
It's the supplied Chinese fuel take off pipe and squishy green fuel pipe used for the separate tanks and usually fitted to the tank screw cap. If anyone buys a chinese heater ,whilst they are usually OK it's best to update some of the kit particularly the fuel line .the hard white nylon is best and all joints should be clipped. There is plenty of good advice on you tube.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Why do people fit cheap Chinese heaters in expensive vans ? , I just don’t understand !
I would fit a new tank and buy a decent heater

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Looks like aquarium air stone pump pipe sweated on??

No, it's the standard fuel pickup that comes with the Chinese heaters that you normally mount in the top of the tank.
You cut the pickup pipe to suit the depth of your tank.

1694444446662.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Why do people fit cheap Chinese heaters in expensive vans ? , I just don’t understand !
I would fit a new tank and buy a decent heater

Because they are in the most cases just as good and reliable as an Ebersacher and Webasto at a 5th of the price.
The Chinese diesel heaters I have have never let me down.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Because they are in the most cases just as good and reliable as an Ebersacher and Webasto at a 5th of the price.
The Chinese diesel heaters I have have never let me down.
£75 k camper with a £150 Chinese heater 😂😂😂
Lighting a small fire 🔥 under/in you pride and joy, 🤔 do I trust the Chinese or the Europeans
Easy , Europeans

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It looks like standard "chainsaw/strimmer" silicone fuel line to me and not the stuff I got with my "cheap Chinese heater" that's been keeping me warm in my expensive workshop these last two winters !
You can get issues post pump with silicone type tube as it has too much "give" in it, which isn't suited to the pulses generated by the feed pump, but that is some shoddy setup in any case ?
I can't think of a single vehicle where a feed from the fuel tank isn't fastened with a retainer of some sort be it a Jubilee clip of a spring style retainer, or any with unsupported lengths of fuel pipe ?
Does anyone know if Gadget John has started a van conversion business on the QT ? :whistle:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
£75 k camper with a £150 Chinese heater 😂😂😂
Lighting a small fire 🔥 under/in you pride and joy, 🤔 do I trust the Chinese or the Europeans
Easy , Europeans

It's a pity that you comment on diesel heaters when you obviously do not understand them going by your comments. (y)

So what about the small fire that you light to heat your water on gas and your fridge on gas ?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looking at the tank the outlet isn't even on a flat surface hence the silicon.
It should be on a flat surface with a substantial cork gasket.
The silicon doesn't appear to be under the outlet plate but smeared around AFTER installation
As far as the converters are concerned it's easier to drill and fix there than to drop the tank and fit properly.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
It's a pity that you comment on diesel heaters when you obviously do not understand them going by your comments. (y)

So what about the small fire that you light to heat your water on gas and your fridge on gas ?
I’m hoping my water/blown air heater is made in Europe by a well established company that has all the necessary standards and competence to enable me to trust the appliance
If something does go wrong hopefully they have all the resources to safely recall and fix any issues
Good luck with the cheap Chinese ones , fingers crossed trading standards pick up issues at the port, a bit like they did previously

As a side issue my friend had a fire in a light aircraft (6 seat twin) caused by a fuel heater failing and catching fire
He ditched the aircraft in the channel just off the coast and had to rescued by life boat

But as already been pointed out , some people haven’t had any issues

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
fingers crossed trading standards pick up issues at the port, a bit like they did previously

They were due to the very poor Chinglish installation manuals that could have caused poor installs by guessing what was meant, the heaters themselves and how they operated when not the problem.

I don't doubt that there are some poorly made Chinese diesel heaters out there, but for my part, the unbranded ones that have come through my hand over the past few years have been perfectly safe in their construction and assembly, and the branded Chinese heaters of which I have one on our van at present have been of comparable quality of the Ebersachers and the like.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
On the ducato the fuel pick up is through the vehicle tank pick up/ primer pump hatch. On the top of the tank. You have to buy a pick up specially for this type of installation, the one that comes with the kit isn't suitable and for vehicle installation the supplied fuel pipe isn't suitable either.

Ask them to change the main tank to a new one and fit a fuel pickup through the top of the tank and then use suitable, reinforced, fuel line to complete the installation.

The installer is responsible when fitting kit supplied into the UK market, anyone that uses that fuel line, exposed under a UK vehicle, is asking for problems and isn't competent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back