LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We always go DFDS Dover to Dunkirk as it seems to be the cheapest way to go across. Apart from the silly-o-clock sailings, which are very cheap, we have found that there is usually one about midday which is reasonable. We book one way and then find some wifi in France when we are nearly ready to come home and book for the return crossing. Once over the water, depending on the time of day, we often head for the free aire by the canal in Veurne, just over the Belgian border and a good place to overnight before heading south. Not too far to go and nice surroundings a short walk from the town centre. It's in the Camperstop book. Hope you have a good trip.
Unfortunately, some insurance companies inform in their policy that you're not covered without a return trip booked before leaving so a single out without a return pre booked is a non starter for a lot of people

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They will not let me in the site because cookies are turned off???? never mind won't be using them then they obviously want to catch people if they come back to the site..
So you haven't been able to get the frequent travellers ticket then?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't think he was talking about Eurotunnel site but the ferrysavers one.

Denise
Ah right but lots of sites where you don't accept cookies, they don't allow browsing but please see below. Think it's Eurotunnel

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Am going to get the frequent traveler account and share it with my friend. come out a £55 per trip all the year round just any off peak time unless you want to pay an excess to go peak.
Actually, that's the Eurotunnel frequent travellers price isn't it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_3323.JPG

We've yet to pay for a Tunnel crossing in 5 years.

Oct 17, 2016
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
1996 swift kontiki
Exp
New(ish)
I'm trying to find someone to share the frequent traveler tickets. I'm happy to take three trips if someone wants two. I'm looking to go first week of Easter so need to sort it shortly. Anyone interested?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We used to have the frequent traveler service provided by P&O for 3 return crossings per year. No additional charges were made to alter outbound or inbound crossings, so very flexible provided you returned before or at your intended end date.

However, P&O in their wisdom decided to cancel this facility to motorcaravanners at the end of 2015. I wrote to P&O about this matter but received a negative, unhelpful response. Basically, they no longer support this facility for motorcaravans.

So, it's Eurotunnel for me in the future with Tesco vouchers at the ready. Plus flexibility on the inward journey by making any alterations online (within your originally stated return date).

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I'm trying to find someone to share the frequent traveler tickets. I'm happy to take three trips if someone wants two. I'm looking to go first week of Easter so need to sort it shortly. Anyone interested?
I might be, I take it this is with the tunnel?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, all the information is here, https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/ticke...nayn5wpszhbxyis94k3zxwgqnrwyvqnh00aakzv8p8haq.
Basically £44 per journey for the tickets plus another £11 to upgrade to motorhome/camper ticket. Let me know if your interested
I think I am being a bit thick - they state that there is a minimum purchase of 10 tickets.

We need one crossing in June Calais to Folkstone and one in October Folkestone to Calais. When you say you need 3 do you mean 3 returns, thereby leaving 2 returns available?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think I am being a bit thick - they state that there is a minimum purchase of 10 tickets.

We need one crossing in June Calais to Folkstone and one in October Folkestone to Calais. When you say you need 3 do you mean 3 returns, thereby leaving 2 returns available?
Unfortunately @Armytwowheels, you've got it right. 10 single trips = 5 return. He's using 3 returns (6) and wants to offer the other 2 returns (4). The way it works is buy 10 and you can share with 1 other. However, still might be worth it because I paid £180 return and that's late night travelling

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Unfortunately @Armytwowheels, you've got it right. 10 single trips = 5 return. He's using 3 returns (6) and wants to offer the other 2 returns (4). The way it works is buy 10 and you can share with 1 other. However, still might be worth it because I paid £180 return and that's late night travelling
Ah! Right, in that case I cannot use the remaining crossings, sorry @mcb1.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
So you haven't been able to get the frequent travellers ticket then?
No the site he was showing me wouldn't let me see it. Eurotunnel is fine I speak to them on the phone to arrange it . get it tomorrow and the go next week for the first one. It is about 30 years since I last went to France, used to go through the town turn right onto the N1 to Boulogne and south Beauvais etc to Paris. The Auto route went from Lille then with a horrid bit of road. Have things changed since then? Used to have to have a Carnet de Passage for my trailer as well.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We used to have the frequent traveler service provided by P&O for 3 return crossings per year. No additional charges were made to alter outbound or inbound crossings, so very flexible provided you returned before or at your intended end date.

However, P&O in their wisdom decided to cancel this facility to motorcaravanners at the end of 2015. I wrote to P&O about this matter but received a negative, unhelpful response. Basically, they no longer support this facility for motorcaravans.

So, it's Eurotunnel for me in the future with Tesco vouchers at the ready. Plus flexibility on the inward journey by making any alterations online (within your originally stated return date).
I asked about this at the HQ of P&O in Dover and they said that there was a lot of fiddling going on with people sharing it so they weren't frequent travellers at all. Motorhomers it seems are the worst of all so they stopped it. Losing too much profit.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Actually, that's the Eurotunnel frequent travellers price isn't it?
Correct and as I am 6 miles from the entrance I am not worried about odd times, none of this Park and Ride at Canterbury for me, GLOAT GLOAT.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No the site he was showing me wouldn't let me see it. Eurotunnel is fine I speak to them on the phone to arrange it . get it tomorrow and the go next week for the first one. It is about 30 years since I last went to France, used to go through the town turn right onto the N1 to Boulogne and south Beauvais etc to Paris. The Auto route went from Lille then with a horrid bit of road. Have things changed since then? Used to have to have a Carnet de Passage for my trailer as well.
Remember that with the 'Frequent Traveller' tickets on the tunnel, you or partner do not necessarily need to use a motorhome for all the trips. Partner might only have a car and want just one or two returns @ £44 each way. The 10 singles cost £440, then you just upgrade which ever ones you want for the motorhome ie + £11 each way.

Oh and I reckon the reservation / customer service staff are very good on Euro Tunnel. Easy to change bookings etc without any fuss or charges with frequent traveller account.

And if you just happen to miss the train for any reason, you should be OK to go on the next one 15 or 20 minutes later. Nice and relaxed, with lots of flexibility...

Have a great trip! (y)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Remember that with the 'Frequent Traveller' tickets on the tunnel, you or partner do not necessarily need to use a motorhome for all the trips. Partner might only have a car and want just one or two returns @ £44 each way. The 10 singles cost £440, then you just upgrade which ever ones you want for the motorhome ie + £11 each way.

Oh and I reckon the reservation / customer service staff are very good on Euro Tunnel. Easy to change bookings etc without any fuss or charges with frequent traveller account.

And if you just happen to miss the train for any reason, you should be OK to go on the next one 15 or 20 minutes later. Nice and relaxed, with lots of flexibility...

Have a great trip! (y)
Yes, they only take the £440 up front and you present you authorised card when you arrive they take the £11 then so I could go with the car. Same thing with the partners card it is registered and if they use it you get an email to confirm that they have used it. likewise if you WANT a peak time ticket you pay the extra then. If I go out on a single I can ring Folkestone off when I get close to book a return then. There is a number for direct booking to save the 0800 number getting in the way.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes, they only take the £440 up front and you present you authorised card when you arrive they take the £11 then so I could go with the car. Same thing with the partners card it is registered and if they use it you get an email to confirm that they have used it. likewise if you WANT a peak time ticket you pay the extra then. If I go out on a single I can ring Folkestone off when I get close to book a return then. There is a number for direct booking to save the 0800 number getting in the way.
To be fair @GWAYGWAY, seeing as you're 6 miles from Folkestone yet never been to France for 30 years, you're remarkabley well informed about the Eurotunnel and ferries etc. I don't know one tenth of what you're informing me of yet I've been dozens of times and live oop norf.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Correct and as I am 6 miles from the entrance I am not worried about odd times, none of this Park and Ride at Canterbury for me, GLOAT GLOAT.
Why gloat? We have the pleasure of just using Kent passing through as in a transit county. I'm more than happy you don't have to use Canterbury P and R and neither do I but we like to amuse the locals.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Shouldn't go to Aldi and save all that money. Just pay through the nose at Tesco and get a little back.
Personal choice - every Aldi I've visited has been thoroughly second rate, so we've walked out after buying nothing every time. I shop at Lidls, but use the Tesco credit card to pay for everything we spend, except where we can get a better return by using the Santander 123 card, - 3% back on Tesco fuel, equating to 4p off per litre, plus Tesco points, which equate to 3x the face value for the tunnel. Far from paying through the nose, Tesco fuel is comparable to the cheapest fuel anywhere. £160 per crossing every year for the last 5 years for free - I'de call that clever shopping......

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
To be fair @GWAYGWAY, seeing as you're 6 miles from Folkestone yet never been to France for 30 years, you're remarkabley well informed about the Eurotunnel and ferries etc. I don't know one tenth of what you're informing me of yet I've been dozens of times and live oop norf.
Well as a research trained individual I start off looking at all the possibilities that are available to me and work the results to give me what I need , (cheapest Fares) The reason I haven't been over before is that I worried that my older van might have trouble but the new one I can trust???? It is under Mercedes Benz warranty. So it can towed to a repair company. Also just a bit worried as it has been a long time and things have changed there a LOT.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Personal choice - every Aldi I've visited has been thoroughly second rate, so we've walked out after buying nothing every time. I shop at Lidls, but use the Tesco credit card to pay for everything we spend, except where we can get a better return by using the Santander 123 card, - 3% back on Tesco fuel, equating to 4p off per litre, plus Tesco points, which equate to 3x the face value for the tunnel. Far from paying through the nose, Tesco fuel is comparable to the cheapest fuel anywhere. £160 per crossing every year for the last 5 years for free - I'de call that clever shopping......
3% back on Tesco fuel with Santander 123 card, I don't just learn about motorhoming on here.

Mickey.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I agree regarding Aldi but at the Lidl I go to, none of them accept Credit Cards. Certainly I can only speak for North Manchester. Those particular Lidl's take either Debit Card or cash. I also use Santander for all fuel purchases thus getting 3% back but there's also cash from having my credit card paid by direct debit too from my Santander current account

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We bought the Frequent Traveller this year between the two of us-hubby & me-I drove the car and hubby drove the van. We had a property sitting from Jan to March and wanted the car to go places and were planning to help on a campsite in the summer so that would have taken 8 of our crossings and leave one for a 'booze' run just before Xmas with just the van!
Definitely worth it specially if you can share and want to go more than once in 12 months!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back