LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well as a research trained individual I start off looking at all the possibilities that are available to me and work the results to give me what I need , (cheapest Fares) The reason I haven't been over before is that I worried that my older van might have trouble but the new one I can trust???? It is under Mercedes Benz warranty. So it can towed to a repair company. Also just a bit worried as it has been a long time and things have changed there a LOT.
Well as a truck driver and a non trained research individual, I know that all the southern ports are pretty well the same distance so I have the use of any southern port with similar commute time.
I'm not overly savvy with computers but I van certainly find the cheapest price as to when it's convenient for me. The choices are now limited to the train because we don't want Pepper away from us.
There are hundreds of Mohos in France, Germany, Spain etc that are well in excess of 10 years old but I could imagine that if a vehicle is poorly maintained then it's not worth the risk of travelling to France. In fact our Moho is 12 years old and I certainly don't have any concerns at taking it previously to France and Germany and this year including Italy too. However, we do ensure the vehicle is in tip top condition and full breakdown and travel insurance. The only fly in the ointment is the drive in this country but I've sussed that to avoid (still works) traffic jams and put a few quid into the economy of Kent. We've even been known to have fish and chips in Dover. My goodness, they would benefit from proper fish and chip shops.
Yes, the problem is that you can over analyse various things and of course I can see the great advantage of saving £2.50 on a crossing especially with a £60k + Moho. If you fill up before you come home with diesel, you'll save more than the £2.50 and perhaps enough over for a box of paracetamol:dance2::dance2:

May 2, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europea 69+ Silver
Exp
3 years
We make sure we are not rushing to get anywhere so ferry suits us fine. We enjoy the "mini cruise"

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
[QUOTE="
Yes, the problem is that you can over analyse various things and of course I can see the great advantage of saving £2.50 on a crossing especially with a £60k + Moho. If you fill up before you come home with diesel, you'll save more than the £2.50 :[/QUOTE]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
From What I have found the frequent traveler on the tunnel saves a very large amount of money, as it is available throughout the whole year and when the peak rate period is in action probably over a hundred per trip each way, and it is variable as to when you use it compared to 1.00 am in the morning from Dover in order to match that price, at least from the tunnel I can get a better run off to the countryside in daylight.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
From What I have found the frequent traveler on the tunnel saves a very large amount of money, as it is available throughout the whole year and when the peak rate period is in action probably over a hundred per trip each way, and it is variable as to when you use it compared to 1.00 am in the morning from Dover in order to match that price, at least from the tunnel I can get a better run off to the countryside in daylight.
Yes it's extremely good value and if I had chance, I'd definitely use it but as we travel from civilisation, sometimes via the capital, it's the time availability to us. At best, we do two trips across annually but in the main, only once but to get the value, yes we book silly o'clock, invariably travel up to 6 hours (best I've pushed yet) earlier at no extra charge. As I said, we travel down at a reasonable pace and stop and visit a town, usually in Kent and then travel on. Depending how tired I might be, I'll get a rest up to our travelling time but usually cross earlier, go to Cite Europe and sleep till we wake then we're fully refreshed for our trip. Obviously from where you live, you wouldn't need a rest till you got half way through France.
That's a massive advantage and lots use the frequent travellers pass but absolutely no use (at this time) for the colonies

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi EX51SSS.
When you pull the pin on working for a living."Come on over,via Dover" (Seen on the back of a Polish lorry:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) It would appear,that you would fit in with the Portuguese outlook on life(y)
Tea Bag

That's a massive advantage and lots use the frequent travellers pass but absolutely no use (at this

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi EX51SSS.
When you pull the pin on working for a living."Come on over,via Dover" (Seen on the back of a Polish lorry:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) It would appear,that you would fit in with the Portuguese outlook on life(y)
Tea Bag
It'll not be long now. I have to admit, except for going to Lisbon twice we've never been to Portugal but it's somewhere on our hit list, maybe this year, maybe next before the fickle finger of fate points.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I go over in my m/h 4 or 5 times a year for 3 or 6 weeks at a time (plus occasionally for just a long weekend) via Newhaven (15 miles from my home). Everyone over 60 is entitled to a 20% discount off the whole ticket cost, even if any passengers are under 60. (Only for phone bookings, not online).
I enjoy the 4 hour crossing which is a feature of the trip and frankly I really can't be ar*ed to faff about to save even 30 or 40 quid which is insignificant in view of diesel at 20mpg and fine resto bills. I always book a return ticket with a notional return date and change it if necessary at the Dieppe port for which DFDS charge an outrageous 10 euros (or it may be 15)......I don't remember or take any notice of pocket money costs. It's my holiday.
Obviously, being so near Newhaven and it being a 180 mile round trip to Dover or Folkestone or Ashford, (c£50 in diesel), and not being a Tesco shopper I wouldn't consider anywhere else. Even if going to Germany or further East I still cross at Newhaven since the sooner I'm abroad the better. Much better than fighting my way 90 miles to Dover!

Last edited:

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
They cannot tell you as it is a flexible system and the price varies according to the number of booking on that sailing. They both do that systems and cookies on your computor mean that they know you have been on there and the price goes up next time you book on.
SORRY TO BE A COMPUTER IDIOT BUT HOW DO YOU DELETE COOKIES......IDIOTS GUIDE ONLY PLEASE, NO LONG WORDS!!!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
DFDS is cheapest, just pick your times , we travel at 10PM, both ways whatever day we go, if we miss it , you get on the midnight ferry. Always do Dover Dunkirk to miss the crap at Calais, never more than £150 return for sub 7M van. Living in Dover is cheating, i dont get folk that drive there, and look for somewhere to park up , and then wait till the next day to get a dearer boat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
SORRY TO BE A COMPUTER IDIOT BUT HOW DO YOU DELETE COOKIES......IDIOTS GUIDE ONLY PLEASE, NO LONG WORDS!!!
In Firefox, click on History, select Clear Recent History, then select Cookies, Cache and whatever else you want to clear and click OK. Should be similar in other browsers.

Deleted User
Depends what browser you use, Google Chrome in the top right hand corner are 3 dots, click on that and then history,history at the top click on this a screen comes up with all your history and an option to delete browsing history, click on this and there are various options one of which is to delete cookies.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Try this for google chrome.Open Chrome.
On your browser toolbar, tap More . (That is the three little dots top right)
Tap History, and then tap Clear browsing data.
Under "Clear browsing data," select the checkboxes for Cookies and site data and Cached images and files.
Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. ...
Tap Clear browsing data.
Try that and see how you get on.
GG

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
Depends what browser you use, Google Chrome in the top right hand corner are 3 dots, click on that and then history,history at the top click on this a screen comes up with all your history and an option to delete browsing history, click on this and there are various options one of which is to delete cookies.
Oh yes youre good and it works, cookies from the beginning of time deleted using your method, really appreciate that info.....

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
Oh yes youre good and it works, cookies from the beginning of time deleted using your method, really appreciate that info.....b
Try this for google chrome.Open Chrome.
On your browser toolbar, tap More . (That is the three little dots top right)
Tap History, and then tap Clear browsing data.
Under "Clear browsing data," select the checkboxes for Cookies and site data and Cached images and files.
Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. ...
Tap Clear browsing data.
Try that and see how you get on.
GG
Brilliant thanks, cleared cookies back to the beginning of time!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I go over in my m/h 4 or 5 times a year for 3 or 6 weeks at a time (plus occasionally for just a long weekend) via Newhaven (15 miles from my home). Everyone over 60 is entitled to a 20% discount off the whole ticket cost, even if any passengers are under 60. (Only for phone bookings, not online).
I enjoy the 4 hour crossing which is a feature of the trip and frankly I really can't be ar*ed to faff about to save even 30 or 40 quid which is insignificant in view of diesel at 20mpg and fine resto bills. I always book a return ticket with a notional return date and change it if necessary at the Dieppe port for which DFDS charge an outrageous 10 euros (or it may be 15)......I don't remember or take any notice of pocket money costs. It's my holiday.
Obviously, being so near Newhaven and it being a 180 mile round trip to Dover or Folkestone or Ashford, (c£50 in diesel), and not being a Tesco shopper I wouldn't consider anywhere else. Even if going to Germany or further East I still cross at Newhaven since the sooner I'm abroad the better. Much better than fighting my way 90 miles to Dover!
Absolute fair comments. I use Dover or Folkestone because it's more convenient. I use train because of my dog and I pay a small premium for that and if it's £180 or £280, it suits me because that's what I WANT.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well I have gone and booked 5 trips and going to share two to a friend so I am committed to three trip abroad. I hope that I actually like it.
The frequent traveler was the best option for us on Eurotunnel as we can roll up from home inside 20 minutes. No chance of seasickness for Wifey as that ALWAYS made her tetchy for the next day. So off to France Luxembourg and into Germany same as the honeymoon 35 years ago. I bet it has all changed since last over in Europe.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well I have gone and booked 5 trips and going to share two to a friend so I am committed to three trip abroad. I hope that I actually like it.
The frequent traveler was the best option for us on Eurotunnel as we can roll up from home inside 20 minutes. No chance of seasickness for Wifey as that ALWAYS made her tetchy for the next day. So off to France Luxembourg and into Germany same as the honeymoon 35 years ago. I bet it has all changed since last over in Europe.
Probably absolutely no difference. Certainly I don't think most of the houses will have had their doors painted in that time.
Let's hope you like when you land. It's not everyone's cup of tea but we love it. Now all you need to do is consider where and which way to go and site/Aire suggestions. We regularly go to Eastern France and drop into the Black Forest towards Lake Titesee. Might be worth joining ACSI too if you're thinking of going before July or after August. All the Aires is invaluable. These are book form. Lot of Moho owners like apps like Camperstop and others but depends what form you prefer.
By the way, if you're away in May, to save us £3.00, can we Park on your drive save thinking about Canterbury P and R?
images (3)_1.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Welcome to the brave new world that is Europe

You're going to have a great time

Best to visit before the Brexit Barrier goes up

We had great times in Brittany and Normandy when the kids were young. Just like GB but with more sun, better food, less crowds and cheap drinks too.

Enjoy !

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
And if you just happen to miss the train for any reason, you should be OK to go on the next one 15 or 20 minutes later. Nice and relaxed, with lots of flexibility...
Oh yeah?! I'm a battlefield guide and, with my oppo Battlfield Bob, drove a 16 seater for the annual tour of the Cheltenham & Glozr Western Front Assoc to the WF. On the morning of our return trip to UK one of our party, notorious for his midnight rambling, had this time gone totally over the top. All were sitting in the bus, engine ticking over - no Joe. Still comatose, he had to be pulled out of bed onto the floor ...

We missed out slot on the Chunnel and were rebooked for a train 2 1/2 hrs later. The 16 seater is smaller than many MH's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back