Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have never been over with my Motorhome and am now looking for the cheapest way of getting there, The P &O ferry fares vary so much that I am totally lost on the site, DFDS is the same there is no way of actually working out how to make an itinerary that allows me to come back at a time that I can actually KNOW I can make, going out is easier as I live near both the tunnel and the port so times are not a problem.
The best thing I can see is the Eurotunnel Frequent traveler tickects at £44 plus an additional for Motorhome at £11 so £55 total.
This is only a bit over the basic non missable, none correctable, ferry tickets which are about £45 at a few time on various days only . We would like to go soon and need to make out move soon but not sure if I actually want 5 round trips this 12 months. although that is cheaper than one return at peak times. I know I can share with another, but it is a bit logistically difficult to pair with somebody, you do not know.
What do the More cheapskate of us do to get the price down?????????????

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If you shop at Tesco, you can use your vouchers for the Tunnel. We exchanged £60 in vouchers which Tesco tripled and gave us £180. The crossing was £181, effectively cost us £1. (y) You cannot use them towards pets though so if you have a dog, it will still cost you £36 return.;)

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Tunnel, with Tesco vouchers. I fill up with Tesco fuel and once a month fill up with a branded fuel. The vouchers i get pay for at least one return trip in the tunnel.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have been using the ferry rather than full price for the tunnel as neither frequent travellers nor a Tesco shoppers. On the way home we usually ensure that last night is within easy reach of the terminal so no last minute worries. It allows us to do the final wine stock up, just make sure if a Sunday that you know what places are open. Made that mistake once!

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
It allows us to do the final wine stock up, just make sure if a Sunday that you know what places are open. Made that mistake once!
Yes totally agree there, we have made that mistake too......just the once..!!!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Forgot to say, I book through C and MC as already member and I find price good. Same for C and CC members I believe.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We havent booked a return for years. We book as a single to go out and then book the return online a few days before we re ready to come back. We normally pay £50 to £70 each way. tbh I focus more on the crossing time if its £20 more, its worth it not to travel and arrive places at daft o'clock.

btw if you have a zero or clarity card, booking your return crossing in euros is generally cheaper

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We havent booked a return for years. We book as a single to go out and then book the return online a few days before we re ready to come back. We normally pay £50 to £70 each way. tbh I focus more on the crossing time if its £20 more, its worth it not to travel and arrive places at daft o'clock.

btw if you have a zero or clarity card, booking your return crossing in euros is generally cheaper
£50 to £70 each way with who?(n)

Tunnel or ferry?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Tunnel or ferry?

Ferry of course,

Have you read that I'm talking one way?

upload_2017-3-24_9-12-31.png

I normally book about a week before and go for sensible times but tend to avoid Fridays and Saturday AMs, as I prefer not to travel on UK roads in MH on these days ( I also avoid Monday am travel on roads but would book a ferry that gets me into Dover late morning)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Travelled both ways but would go for the tunnel every time we share a block of bookings with someone I've never met it works out fine!. Why not put a message up on the frequent traveller thread to see if anyone want to split three returns for them 2 for you?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Cheapest way to France???

Smuggled in the back of an artic!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We find c&cc prices hard to beat for ferry dover to calais. We can't travel euro tunnel as we run on lpg so not aloud so can't compare.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
What do the More cheapskate of us do to get the price down?????????????
You rang ?
On the presumption you are less than 7 metres then the initial choice for you is Tunnel/DFDS/PandO
It is fairly simple to put in the dates and times and compare then consider the cheapest way for a singular journey for you.
HOWEVER, you havent been over before and you may have to return and you live in DOVER (jealous)
If i were in your shoes, but knowing what I am like, I would go over on the tunnel and return DFDS, booking a cheap one about 1000 hrs calias dover return on the day of return.
Then, when i return, I would then have an idea of what i had been missing out on for years and wondering why i hadnt spent my time over the water and then look at the tunnel frequent user thing and possibly sharing it.
Remember to delete your cookies after your initial search for ferries. The price hikes up. Dont fall for paying the new price. i did create a thread of ppl of who are going over at easter. take a look at who and when and how. see if that fits you and buddy up for a night.
Remember Berck Kite festival first week in April if you have nothing planned

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Given that you live in Dover you can probably travel at any time of the day or night so why don't you just phone P&O and/or DFDS and ask for their cheapest crossing in the next x days?
They cannot tell you as it is a flexible system and the price varies according to the number of booking on that sailing. They both do that systems and cookies on your computor mean that they know you have been on there and the price goes up next time you book on.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you shop at Tesco, you can use your vouchers for the Tunnel. We exchanged £60 in vouchers which Tesco tripled and gave us £180. The crossing was £181, effectively cost us £1. (y) You cannot use them towards pets though so if you have a dog, it will still cost you £36 return.;)

Not quite so, surely.
The vouchers were worth £60 in the first place so it cost you £61. Still a bargain though.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
There's a website called "ferries direct" or similar that does the comparison for you. Might be worth a look?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

Tunnel or ferry?
That was one particular P&O ferry at silly o'clock on the slackest day of the year. only once did it show.
The rest go up and down all over the place. difficult to see what to do but 5 returns on frequent traveller on the tunnel is cheaper than on full time peak return there???

I think I have decide to go for the 10 trips and just go with them all, a partner would helpbut I need to talk to my friend nearby.

Deleted User
Seems fairly simple to me, if you want a crossing look up the price on a few operators web sites, decide which is the cheapest or convenient and book it, you will be going round in circles for ever and a day trying to save yourself 10 or 20 quid.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
sorry @GWAYGWAY

forgot to post the link, stick your date in here? this is one of the 'confused.com' sites for ferries.

Broken Link Removed

Jon

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Am going to get the frequent traveler account and share it with my friend. come out a £55 per trip all the year round just any off peak time unless you want to pay an excess to go peak.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ferry of course,

Have you read that I'm talking one way?

View attachment 154094

I normally book about a week before and go for sensible times but tend to avoid Fridays and Saturday AMs, as I prefer not to travel on UK roads in MH on these days ( I also avoid Monday am travel on roads but would book a ferry that gets me into Dover late morning)
Whoops! OK.

Having reread your post I saw your reference to "ferry that gets me to Dover".

Apologies.

Specsavers has a new customer.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We find c&cc prices hard to beat for ferry dover to calais. We can't travel euro tunnel as we run on lpg so not aloud so can't compare.
I've usually found to scour for the best possible price then phone them with exact details and they apply their discount. I once, about 2/3 years ago went out for £6.00 and return for £32.00 then discount off but because they dropped a clanger a few years later, I'm no longer a member.
However, ok, I could have had my crossing this year £21.00 cheaper but saved more because not paying for membership

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
sorry @GWAYGWAY

forgot to post the link, stick your date in here? this is one of the 'confused.com' sites for ferries.

Broken Link Removed

Jon
They will not let me in the site because cookies are turned off???? never mind won't be using them then they obviously want to catch people if they come back to the site..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
sorry @GWAYGWAY

Broken Link Removed

Jon
I just tried that & all the prices are 5€ dearer than direct with the company ?
They will not let me in the site because cookies are turned off???? never mind won't be using them then they obviously want to catch people if they come back to the site..

Just ignore it & click the "return to homepage" & it brings up thye screen.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We always go DFDS Dover to Dunkirk as it seems to be the cheapest way to go across. Apart from the silly-o-clock sailings, which are very cheap, we have found that there is usually one about midday which is reasonable. We book one way and then find some wifi in France when we are nearly ready to come home and book for the return crossing. Once over the water, depending on the time of day, we often head for the free aire by the canal in Veurne, just over the Belgian border and a good place to overnight before heading south. Not too far to go and nice surroundings a short walk from the town centre. It's in the Camperstop book. Hope you have a good trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back