Change vehicle type to Motorcaravan with DVLA (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 30, 2024
Dartford, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Conversion
Exp
Since December 2023 (caravans & tents before then)
This was on VW forum. He goes on: “….but now we need an MOT. Depending on what the base van was originally, you might have been in the Class 7 MOT category. But now, thanks to the good old Type Approval Regs, we are now a MC, and guess what Motor Caravans are subject to a Class 4 (M1) MOT. If the van had already been tested as a Class 7 & you present it for an MOT as a Motor Caravan, the tester may try to tell you that he has to test it as it had been tested previously. This is wrong, the system allows for the vehicle to be tested "As Presented" If it quacks... “

And: “Speed limits are set out in the 1984 Road Traffic Regulations Act, As we are now a Motor Caravan, AND we are under 3050kg UNLADEN. (N.B. All transporters are under 3050kg UL, don't confuse Unladen with MAM. Unladen is the base empty vehicle, used to be Kerb Weight. MAM is Maximum Allowed Mass, which used to be Maximum Gross Vehicle weight.)
HM GOV Speed Limits see paragraph3
And if you're still not convinced.
VOSA Statement regarding Motor Home Speed Limits

And, to add to the fun: “There is anecdotal evidence that some people have received NIPs (Notice of Intended Prosecution) after being caught doing over 60mph in their Motor Homes on dual carriageways, these NIPs have subsequently been cancelled when the victim has pointed out to the police that the vehicle is indeed a MC within the definition of the 1979 TA regs. This is a situation caused entirely by the DVLA & they (The DVLA) have been criticised by the Ombudsman for their handling of the situation. ”

I only quote these at length, because I had to have a conversation with my insurer, who was about to try to refuse to insure me, as per log book, as a van. (To do with their underwriters, i believe). As soon as I got as far as Type Approval definitions bit, it got much easier.

Full thread here: Link

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Hi. I've spent all day reading as I am trying to sort the paperwork on my now converted 4.6t Sprinter bus.
The only advantage of the Motorhome category seems to be 10mph on single and dual carriageways but then only on vehicles below 3.05t. I thought 3.05 was a typo of 3.5 but it’s not.
I think that the 3.050 was brought in because the majority of Land Rover defender (vans) are 3.050. The MOD has thousands of them!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have a Fiat Ducato van converted to a campervan (it was converted by a previous owner). The V5C lists it as a light goods vehicle and i'm thinking of getting it changed ( via the DVLA) to a motorcaravan, which seems simple enough on their website, but the question is: what benefit will this provide?, cheaper insurance?, road tax? (which i doubt) anything else?

Thanks
Will it be worth the trouble, I did read somewhere that the coming DVLA changes in road fund will include removing the motorhome status and reverting all back to there goods vehicle status. Could prove costly for some larger vehicles but some will see it as levelling out the playing field.

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
It's near impossible to get it changed other than to van with side windows.Mine is 2020 Boxer,converted it with side windows both sides ,roll out awning ,graphics to all 4 sides with camping scene and campervan pictured,fridge, water heater ventilation and night heater vents in stainless (shiney) steel and just about ever thing you can think of ,ticked every box on dvla website(and more)
Changed from van to van with side windows.
In law it makes no difference (you may have to prove it is a camper if a fine/penalty is issued using dvla database,in Europe you may be treated as a van,Insurance from my experience no problem ,mot as presented IE what tester sees not what's on V5
How strange...in 2023 I applied to have our converted VW Crafter changed to MC and ticked all the same boxes you did (as DVLA ask for), and my V5C came back changed to MC without any issues whatsoever. Must be a lottery!
The only thing that just might be different is that I had the van upplated from 3.5 to 3.9 tons a couple of months before? But don't see why that would make any difference the MC stamp...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
How strange...on 2023 I applied to have our converted VW Crafter changed to MC and ticked all the same boxes you did (as DVLA ask for), and my V5C came back changed to MC without any issues whatsoever. Must be a lottery!
The only thing that just might be different is that I had the van updated from 3.5 to 3.9 tons a couple of months before? But don't see why that would make any difference the MC stamp...
As you say pot luck ! Mine could not be any more obvious with graphics depicting camping scenes on front rear and both sides !

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
I’ve just got our XLWB Sprinter reclassified to MC. It took about about a month. Sadly the idea to have a PVC below 3.5 tons hasn’t happened. SV Tech recommended doing the change to MC before up plating as apparently it’s easier than doing the same to a commercial vehicle.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I’ve just got our XLWB Sprinter reclassified to MC. It took about about a month. Sadly the idea to have a PVC below 3.5 tons hasn’t happened. SV Tech recommended doing the change to MC before up plating as apparently it’s easier than doing the same to a commercial vehicle.
Are DVLA maybe having a change of heart, as more and more folk are reporting success changing to Motor Caravan... and not just on Fun but also other forums..

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have just ordered a brand new Consort Oslo PVC and the paperwork clearly says it will be a panel van on the V5C. Scot has explained how to change it as has a Funster on another thread who did it.

I’d said we would’nt bother as I’d read Jim ’s explanation and the thread it linked to but now of course it looks like we can only go 50 on ordinary roads and 60 on dual carriageways without potentially triggering a speed camera. I know I can appeal it as I am using it as a motorhome ie sleeping in it. That’s a pain as us travellers often leave the country and then can’t appeal quickly etc

Nick thinks we’d better do the change as it will be less hassle long term as I may be a tiny bit heavy footed. First day in Spain, less than 2 hours after we got off the ferry. Not even 10% over.

It really does seem to vary depending on the converter.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Are DVLA maybe having a change of heart, as more and more folk are reporting success changing to Motor Caravan... and not just on Fun but also other forums..
It might have something to do with the bo11ocking the DVLA had from the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman about the way they conducted business.

LINK

Jan 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 2017
This is always a a hot topic on various groups but I recently found the process of reclassification to motor caravan very straightforward and quite quick. Yes you need to tick all the boxes. I wrote on each photo stating which of the requirements I was showing in each photo. The overriding requirement seems to be that it looks like a campervan after ticking all the boxes but the process can work.

IMG20230112123200.jpg

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This is always a a hot topic on various groups but I recently found the process of reclassification to motor caravan very straightforward and quite quick. Yes you need to tick all the boxes. I wrote on each photo stating which of the requirements I was showing in each photo. The overriding requirement seems to be that it looks like a campervan after ticking all the boxes but the process can work.

View attachment 900498
This is probably a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway for when we do it. Are the photos A4 printouts on ordinary computer paper please?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
This is probably a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway for when we do it. Are the photos A4 printouts on ordinary computer paper please?
Good question... however we got ours printed on a Tesco photo printer and sent them...

Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
I sent mine off in March and they were A4 printed and as above, I wrote on the back which requirements were met in the image.

I think it's all got more complex recently, since more people want a camper van that is "stealth" and doesn't look like a camper van - perhaps so they can park on the side of a road and sleep in the van without drawing attention.

So there seems to be more of a focus on the requirement that states that the: "vehicle's exterior is distinguishable as a motor caravan in traffic".

May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Thanks. The gov VED site says it's still taxed.. I only picked it up last week and have not had the V5 back yet. Hopefiully then I 'll get a beter idea of its current status. It will be SORN for a while I expect during fit out. Then investigate teh ECU reset, sitting at 60 was rather frustrating at times.:frowny:
My 14 plate Ambo is box van & PHGV & as stated previously £165, cheaper than my 99 V70. I don't have a limiter & I don't tend to go over 60 but when the boy racers pull up in lane 2 along with everyone else at traffic lights. The devil sits on my shoulder & have a grin like The Joker for 20 mins;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back