Carthago Liner-for-two (1 Viewer)

1090alex

Free Member
Jan 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
I bought a brand new Liner for Two in May22. I'd like to say how good the vehicle really is....but I can't. Since I took delivery it's been one problem after another.
The power habitation door jammed closed which meant we couldn't use it. The awning fitted by Carthago stuck in the open position and will have to be replaced. This happened in August and it took Carthago Germany until November to admit responsibility.
The top gas strut for the hab door fell out of it's fixing in the roof, two of the glass tumblers in the toilet room fell off,not surprising as they are held on with sticky tape.
The central locking for the kitchen drawers has stopped working. The step light has come away from it's fixing on one side.
The magnetic strip which holds the front door blind is about to fall off.
Doors rattles cupboard door latches have needed to be adjusted to get them to work,
The pull out steps for the drop down bed fly open when you drive.
All this and more..I really don't know how it can be called "a premium motorhome "
Carthago in Germany are aware of all this and don't really seem all that surprised.
Sent two emails to the CEO and he didn't bother to reply.All he did was pass it on to customer service staff.
I would not recommend anyone to buy A Carthago going by my experience.
Alex Stevens

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We have a C Tourer. Overall the quality is good but there are definitely a few areas which could be easily improved on

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Alex

Welcome to Motorhome fun, do I take it that you are less than satisfied with your van? Did you buy it in Germany or the UK? There are always teething problems with new vans so hopefully your dealer is supportive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Sounds like you have a Friday afternoon one, generally their quality is quite good certainly better than Hymer. I have a CompactLine on order, fed up with the Hymer.

Do you think you could edit your post to get rid of the big spaces it makes it difficult to read.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
1090alex I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your new Carthago; in may experience that is not common. I purchased my C-Line in late 2015 and yes there has been a few problems but nothing really serious and by comparison with the Autotrail I had before it has been faultless for seven years.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I’m on my third Carthago. No major problems with any of them. The odd catch needs adjustment but that’s not surprising on any motorhome considering they get shaken about on modern roads.

Would I buy another one? Without a doubt.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Any motorhome will have teething problems as they don't get used as a 'motorhome' until the customer picks them up.Hopefully your dealer has sorted these problems out.As to the awning they are supplied by Thule so they would have been involved in the warranty claim.Our fabric parted company so it was agreed that it would be replaced but were told there would be a six month wait! So we went over to the Thule factory and had it fixed👍

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
:welco:
Sounds like you have a Friday afternoon one, generally their quality is quite good certainly better than Hymer. I have a CompactLine on order, fed up with the Hymer.

Do you think you could edit your post to get rid of the big spaces it makes it difficult to read.
Marvellous, ive a poor phone signal and opened the thread, been waiting 10 chuffing minutes on the first post for the photos to load.
Then you say it’s spaces.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Cracking Van, I’m on my second.
I don‘t know your expectations but a magnetic strip coming away, just stick it back down, the same with a step light.
The awning is a Thule problem and could happen on a 50k Swift or a 500k Morelo.

What van did you have before??

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well after the last new van Hymer we said never again! Lots of stupid problems eventually all put right after 3 years mostly by me.
So then bought a Splus with 2,500 miles from Premium in Doncaster absolutely Shite service and next to warrant, Carthago give little support if any,
I have now sorted out all the silly stupid problems that should have been done had the dealers been competent😂
Like any van it’s going to have little issues but got to say Carthago warranty is Shite that being said they are quite a good build as most of the things that failed were bought in parts,
Thankfully Chris @Reliance was a big help in helping me source new wiper linkage parts from bbsystemsteknik in Germany who stepped in after 4 months of waiting for parts.on a two year old van.🙂

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Sounds like pretty much all manufacturers are shite and a fair few dealers are not far behind.
I think it’s down to how loud you shout as to what gets done.
I have never rolled over for anyone and had a lot of dealings with solicitors as a result.
If you feel you are not getting the service you expect go straight to a decent solicitors letter most of the time this will make them get their finger out and get things sorted, they play on a large percentage of customers giving up after being ignored a few times.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sounds like pretty much all manufacturers are shite and a fair few dealers are not far behind.
I have never rolled over for anyone and had a lot of dealings with solicitors as a result.
If you feel you are not getting the service you expect go straight to a decent solicitors letter most of the time this will make them get their finger out and get things sorted, they play on a large percentage of customers giving up after being ignored a few times.
Decent Solicitor, not sure we have any of them around here 🤣

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the op has been very unlucky and I wonder if the dealer is partly to blame. I had very few issues with my Carthago and the dealer seemed to get rapid responses from the manufacturer on the few that did. When a Comfortmatic problem turned out to be down to Carthago rather than Fiat they refunded my costs within a matter of days.

OP
OP

1090alex

Free Member
Jan 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Hi Alex

Welcome to Motorhome fun, do I take it that you are less than satisfied with your van? Did you buy it in Germany or the UK? There are always teething problems with new vans so hopefully your dealer is supportive.

Hi I bought it in the UK . My dealer has been great. I do expect to have some issues as you do with any vehicle but not as many at the price point of Liner-for-two. You could buy a nice flat for a lot less! What I didn't expect was the slow and almost not all that bothered attitude of Carthago in Germany .I have had to contact them by phone and email on numerous occasions to find out why it takes so long to sort out warranty claims. I don't think I recommend Carthago to anyone. Alex

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well at least you have your dealer on your side (y) when we bought a new Morelo I knew there would be problems with it, we came out of Dusseldorf show after signing away as you say " the price of a nice flat" actually a nice house in our case, I said to my wife "I know there are going to be issues but I will just sort things" she was horrified :LOL: but I have to say that if I had to book a trip to the dealer for every little issue I would have gone mad so it works for us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were parked next to a new Compactline the other day and noticed that nearly all of the external locker catches were skewed, so suggested that things are being rushed and/or quality control is lacking. Our 2019 one doesn't have this issue and we'd not noticed it on any older ones either.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I purchased my van direct from a dealer in Germany, they were not very good when I had a major problem so I went directly to the manufacturer who were also not very good until I rejected the van and gave them the name of a German solicitor to sort it out with.
They then collected thr van took it back to Germany fixed the major problem and a few more bits then returned it all in around 2-3 weeks😁

We have now made our trips abroad for the last 2 years to include a visit to the factory for any warranty issues and they have been spot on with fixing whatever needs to be done.
Big bonus is our 8-10 weeks away in the van a year are all free for the last few years and a few to come as we saved a big chunk by cutting out the UK dealer😁😁

I have little problems that I fix on the van myself and the base vehicle is covered by Iveco UK.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well at least you have your dealer on your side (y) when we bought a new Morelo I knew there would be problems with it, we came out of Dusseldorf show after signing away as you say " the price of a nice flat" actually a nice house in our case, I said to my wife "I know there are going to be issues but I will just sort things" she was horrified :LOL: but I have to say that if I had to book a trip to the dealer for every little issue I would have gone mad so it works for us.
This was the reason we bought used this time Martin from the same dealer that you got yours from, thinking all the snagging would have been done, well that was the theory🤣🤣🤣

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've never bought a new MH but we we have bought a new build house, and to be honest it seems most people have snagging issues with their new MHs, just the same way you do with a new house. I agree, given the amount we're spending it shouldn't happen, or dealer or developer should proactively spot them, but its just something you need to accept and deal with....no point getting annoyed about it.

Most of the items mentioned in the OP appear to be fairly minor ones which can be easily sorted out by the dealer. If there are some "design issues" (ie. things that seem to have been designed by someone who's never used a MH) then a small mod can usually resolve it....we've had to do a few of these on both our current and previous MHs. I think some people are fussier than others.....I want things to be perfect (and am happy to put the time and effort into getting things that way), but hubby would be happy to just put up with things as they are.

We're still waiting to take delivery of our new-to-us Carthago C-Line...it needed a few things fixing and as I understand it they're now just waiting on a new awning from Thule. Even so, I know there will be a few things that I'll want to adjust/change, and as time goes on I'm sure there'll be a few repairs needed.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Chelston Motorhomes have an Aftersales Manager who seems to know which buttons to push to get the manufacturer to respond promptly and is a contact point for customers. I fear some dealers leave the after sales part of the job to be kicked around between staff who think someone else should be sorting out the problems. The building of a motorhome is probably just as complex as building a house and a few snagging issues are inevitable.

OP
OP

1090alex

Free Member
Jan 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t

If you feel you are not getting the service you expect go straight to a decent solicitors letter most of the time this will make them get their finger out and get things sorted, they play on a large percentage of customers giving up after being ignored a few tisimes.

Hi My dealer is very good and does his best but has to get any warranty claims authorised by Carthago. I thought an email to their CEO would do the trick and get
Any motorhome will have teething problems as they don't get used as a 'motorhome' until the customer picks them up.Hopefully your dealer has sorted these problems out.As to the awning they are supplied by Thule so they would have been involved in the warranty claim.Our fabric parted company so it was agreed that it would be replaced but were told there would be a six month wait! So we went over to the Thule factory and had it fixed👍

things moving. He didn't even reply but

I

Cracking Van, I’m on my second.

I don‘t know your expectations but a magnetic strip coming away, just stick it back down, the same with a step light.

The awning is a Thule problem and could happen on a 50k Swift or a 500k Morelo.

What van did you have before??

OP
OP

1090alex

Free Member
Jan 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Hi

The fault in the awning is caused by the vans body flexing which in turn warps the awning carcass. Carthago at first said it must be a Thule problem which of course Thule denied. The odd thing is that after 4 months Carthago accepted responsibility and added that they will also send my dealer a spacing kit to prevent this happening again. I synic would think the issue isn't a one off.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
IMHO the whole leisure vehicle industry, motorhomes and caravans, need a damp (damn! Thank you Lennyhb) good shaking from top to bottom. Too many units made too quickly to satisfy an overheated market. We have had three different marques through our time, all new, and all with stupid problems. Not "teething troubles" just a sheer lack of care.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back