Carrying a guitar in a 6m motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Okay, so technically it's a 6.3m motorhome, but we are soon (hopefully) planning to purchase a Swift Champagne 622. This model has a rear lounge, doesn't have a garage and we're planning to go away for several months at a time.

One thing I am really looking forward to (especially in today's political climate) is parking up in a field somewhere, cracking open a beer, sitting outside, shutting out the world and strumming my guitar.

I didn't fancy just letting my pride and joy rattle around in the back and although I have a guitar case, it is quite bulky so I thought I would pose the question on here to see if anyone else carries a guitar and how they secure it while travelling?

Any suggestions?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Recently we've carried a guitar on the fixed bed over the garage whilst travelling (in a case) then transferred it to the cab whilst parked up,.

BUT last year for our summer trip Martin took a guitalele which fitted nicely, in its case, in the wardrobe. Hopefully, as I type, it's being sold, and a three quarter guitar is the next purchase for travelling.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
A question...can you play it?

There was a lady on here who was practicing on her ukulele. This scared the poop out of me so I arranged to have a gps tracker installed so that I would not be within at least 100 miles of her and it.....worked so far.(y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

There was a lady on here who was practicing on her ukulele. This scared the poop out of me so I arranged to have a gps tracker installed so that I would not be within at least 100 miles of her and it.....worked so far.(y)
I've carried a ukulele for nearly 18 months and played with it twice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mine sits on the bed when travelling...
Case sits on dash when parked up

Soft case btw

Oh and moho is 6990mm

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Recently we've carried a guitar on the fixed bed over the garage whilst travelling (in a case) then transferred it to the cab whilst parked up,.

BUT last year for our summer trip Martin took a guitalele which fitted nicely, in its case, in the wardrobe. Hopefully, as I type, it's being sold, and a three quarter guitar is the next purchase for travelling.

Thanks, do you know I had never even heard of a guitalele! I had to google that. Every day is a school day :D
My current guitar is a full-size Ovation and I would rather not buy another (that's code for: my wife will kill me if I buy another guitar!). We bought our granddaughter a 3/4 and I can definitely see the attraction, but I'm not sure it really saves that much space.

In a room full of non-players I am a guitar god! However, in real life, I can strum a few campfire favourites and if everyone has drunk enough I sound pretty good :cool:

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Mine sits on the bed when travelling...
Case sits on dash when parked up

Soft case btw

Oh and moho is 6990mm

A soft case sounds like the way to go. Protection without too much bulk!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Thanks, do you know I had never even heard of a guitalele! I had to google that. Every day is a school day :D
My current guitar is a full-size Ovation and I would rather not buy another (that's code for: my wife will kill me if I buy another guitar!). We bought our granddaughter a 3/4 and I can definitely see the attraction, but I'm not sure it really saves that much space.

In a room full of non-players I am a guitar god! However, in real life, I can strum a few campfire favourites and if everyone has drunk enough I sound pretty good :cool:

Just like me then ;)

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Bungee it to the back of the passenger seat. I know people who carry their folding chairs like this.
That's clever. I like that Idea (y)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I wouldn't take my Taylor with me but my old (1978) Yamaha travels with us on the bed while travelling and sits in the passenger foot well when parked. This is along with the wife's spinning wheel and my weaving loom. A 6.8 metre van. When we had a 5.7m van I think the guitar travelled in the wardrobe. It meant the wife couldn't take so many clothes but hey, sacrifices have to be made!

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
In our previous MH, I used to carry mine in a soft case and lay it on the floor of the shower/washroom when travelling, standing it up in the corner when on site and/or using the facilities. In our new MH there is room to strap it directly behind the drivers seat (still in a soft case, of course).

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I wouldn't take my Taylor with me.....!

Chicken... :rofl:

A15DEDF5-22A4-4C68-B730-BC03A8BFCBFC.jpeg

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have a large cupboard above the cab where some vans have a bed. If I take mine it goes in there in a soft case.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mum has just given me her electric organ plus a lot of sheet music. Maybe I will learn to play it. Like I don't have enough to do!!!!

I can read music and know which key os which on a keyboard - will that give me a head start?

Hoping to find a youtube tutor and I need to relearn to play my Low Whistle.

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
IMG_5728.jpg
I wouldn't take my Taylor with me but my old (1978) Yamaha travels with us on the bed while travelling and sits in the passenger foot well when parked. This is along with the wife's spinning wheel and my weaving loom. A 6.8 metre van. When we had a 5.7m van I think the guitar travelled in the wardrobe. It meant the wife couldn't take so many clothes but hey, sacrifices have to be made!

I have 2 Acoustics; my 12-year-old Tanglewood was my first 'real' guitar and was bought when it was on offer at £120-ish. It still sounds good but simply does nothing for me. However my 6-month-old Ovation 2078AX begs me to touch, fondle and play it every minute of every day. So much as I would prefer to take the older one with me, I know that it will be the Ovation that I carry.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer space is always an issue. I carried mine in a softcase that was stored in the ceiling.

I got 4 brass hooks that screwed into the ceiling, and bought some really lightweight chain. I was happy carrying my £2K guitar like this for quite a few years before I sold it.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I have a Godin A6, which is quite thin, in a soft case. In our 7.4 m MoHo it lies on one of our single beds whilst motoring, and stands in the shower overnight; back onto the bed in the morning.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I could take one of my basses but fear as soon as I plugged it in I would be evicted from the site! And don't suggest acoustic basses or bass ukuleles, they are pants till you plug them in.....

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
i used to have a 6.0m PVC and carried mine strapped in to the rear passenger seat using the seatbelt. it went into the passenger footwell on site.
our last van was 9.0m with a large garage so I was able to carry a fully flight-cased acoustic when touring.
baby taylors are great guitars and very compact but I prefer a full sized beast - currently my favourite acoustic is a taylor 414CE. Couldn't bring myself to sell my high end yamaha electro acoustic though even though I promised faithfully I would.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As a fellow musician (percussionist), I can give you excellent advice. Put it in a soft case, and place it on the ground. Run the MH backwards and forwards over it a few times. I find it takes up far less space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back