Can passengers move around when driving? (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Our motorhome has a fixed rear bed so the dining area has two seat rows facing, with the table in between. Three of the seats have proper seat belts so we can legally travel with driver, navigator, and 3 passengers in the rear.

Can they or the navigator vacate their seats to use the loo, get something from the kitchen etc, whilst I'm driving and the motorhome is moving?

Or does the law states everyone must stay sat and seatbelted until the vehicle pulls over and stops?

(I think I could guess the answer but thought it best to check.)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's best to find somewhere safe to stop.

I'm not going to say I haven't nipped back to close a drawer or locker whilst stuck at traffic lights or in a queue but it's not something I would suggest anyone does as a matter of course.

Coming back from Italy there was a 3 hour delay south of Bologna. We did make a drink whilst stopped and used the loo. Most of the truck drivers were out of their cabs (we got our information about the delay from them) so no danger. We (as in all the stationary traffic) did have to shuffle around to make space for the emergency vehicles to get through but there was plenty of warning and people were really sensible about directing vehicles closer and into gaps so again no danger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I've been reading through this thread with some amazement. Look at this data from Pennsylvania in the US, where the maximum speed limit is 65.
  • 78.7% of people in an accident wore a seat belt.
  • Of total fatal accidents, 48.1% were not wearing a seat belt.
  • Of those who wore a seat belt during an accident, 76,452 were not injured.
  • Of those who did not wear a seat belt during an accident, only 4,605 were not injured.

As I suspect many on here are, I'm retired, and enjoying having someone give me some money every month not to have to work. Every time I will take the MH out it will be a holiday. Enjoyable, relaxing, and I want that to continue, not end suddenly, or end in a long hospital stay and possibly disabled for the rest of my life.

Of course, accidents never happen, even to the most careful drivers. Need the loo or a drink, then pull over somewhere or off the motorway. As for having children in a MH and not belted up all the time, personally I think that is criminal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked this now, sigh..... :(

Are there any grown-ups online out there thank you please?

Let me twist the tail of the laws & ideas on travelling whilst moving around.
Your able but, not advised to head to or from a seat on a bus, your up on your feet yes?

Now a question that arose many times on paramedic training & doing our stuff out on the road. We tended to be on our feet, doing CPR, treating serious injuries etc & we even asked the traffic police where we stand, (please pardon the pun) they couldn't give us a straight answer.

One paramedic that I knew was killed in an accident on the A82 on-route from Skye to Inverness. He was on his feet & had to be treating the patient in his care.

Then a couple of years ago another paramedic friend of mine suffered a broken neck in an accident on the A76, he has made a full recovery.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
What are the respected views about rolling a spliff ?

Is it better for the driver to attempt the perfect 3 paper spliff ?

Or do a hot swap and let the little lady drive while you roll a minger ?

A little bit of MaryJane relaxes you, so you should be a bit safer on the road :)

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994

Now a question that arose many times on paramedic training & doing our stuff out on the road. We tended to be on our feet, doing CPR, treating serious injuries etc & we even asked the traffic police where we stand, (please pardon the pun) they couldn't give us a straight answer.

i am sure they made you exempt whilst treating a patient in an amendment a few years ago to bring your profession inline with police/fire brigade exemptions

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The only time I can remember doing it was at the Tunnel.

We arrived early for our train and were left at the front of the queue waiting for the next train and my late wife needed to use the loo

She was at that time having difficulty walking so I helped her to the loo and returned to the driving seat

The light changed to green - we were now leaving on the earlier train!

I shouted to my wife to hold on and drove slowly to the train.............

When on board I went and helped her back to her seat.......laughing

I could say she peed herself laughing but she'd done that already

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
i am sure they made you exempt whilst treating a patient in an amendment a few years ago to bring your profession inline with police/fire brigade exemptions

Interesting info mate. I retired about 8yrs ago, so have rather lost touch on most subjects. :D

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
But if in a car you have to sit on it and wait till a services comes up, to pee or not to pee! Maybe it's time to belt up:)

Upvote 0

SHABBINS

Free Member
May 4, 2018
sheffield
Funster No
MH
IH RD600
Exp
Whilst at the NEC show this year we attended a presentation by David Hurrell about the knowledge gathering stage of motorhome/campervan purchase. The talk was very comprehensive and touched on all aspects of living and travelling in your vehicle.

One question was 'Do you take the grandchildren with you?', if so you will need forward facing belted seats in the rear. His next sentence pricked my ears.

"For people who think it is illegal to travel unbelted in the rear of a motorhome, it is not"

He then went on to discuss this statement by saying it was not advisable nor sensible but nevertheless not illegal (except for children).

This is the legal reference: https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/motorhome-seatbelts

Don't shoot the messenger, this topic is just a curious situation regarding the law.

Your insurance company or the police may decide in the event of an accident that you were negligent.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I havent had a chance to try this concept yet, maybe never will, but say you were on a long run across a continent, not wanting to stop as you had time or weather restraints maybe. Would you consider it feasable to do as aircraft pilots do & coach drivers, and switch drivers alowing the tired one to sleep in one of the beds in the back of the van?
I am pretty sure that many parents have done this as kids tend to drop off on long journeys as they get bored & passenger seats on most mohos are very upright and suited to long seated durations.
I'm not commending this, just trying to get an idea of what happens in the real world.
Les
PS: if TinaL needs a pee, she goes for it, however if I need a pee, I have to pull over, as I'm always accused of missing the lemonade bottle neck:xgrin:

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I havent had a chance to try this concept yet, maybe never will, but say you were on a long run across a continent, not wanting to stop as you had time or weather restraints maybe. Would you consider it feasable to do as aircraft pilots do & coach drivers, and switch drivers alowing the tired one to sleep in one of the beds in the back of the van?

In a word no.

Airline pilots fly most of the way on autopilot anyway, and if they leave their seat, the copilot has a full set of controls in front of them. If I were on a coach and the drivers switched places whilst still driving, I'd be very annoyed, I would have paid for the coach to get me there safely not put my life at risk.

You're on a long journey and don't want to stop. Why not? Is it ever safe to drive for long periods? Lorry drivers have to stop every four and a half hours by law. Need a loo break, then how long a stop is it to find a layby, rest area, or simply pull off a road - 5 minutes at most.

As for sleeping in the back of the van, then a crash at 60mph would probably kill the person sleeping, whilst the driver would probably only have minor injuries (provided they were not hit by the sleeping passenger flying forward).

I used to have to use my car for work, and quickly learned to allow myself enough time in the diary to finish one appointment, and have enough time to drive safely to the next. Same with using the MH. Allow enough time for breaks, loo breaks, swapping drivers etc. A few hours longer travelling is far better than months of recuperation after an accident, or worse.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I do think people over think the risks. I just Googled coach travel and loads came up this one https://www.leger.co.uk/content/silverservice suggests that you can join friends in the "rear lounge" area for a chat, obviously you can use the loo, and there is a "servery" located in the middle of the coach for your hot and cold drinks!

No seatbelts of course!

As I said in my previous post we wander around, use the loo, get drinks snacks, chargers etc. In fact one of my best trips recently was coming back from exhibiting at the NEC Lyn was driving, and we had offered our daughter in law a lift back to save her hanging round waiting for our Son. So they sat in the front, I lay on the settee, cold beer, feet up and watched the rugby on the TV

No belts on a train and you can walk around, no belts on coaches and you can wander around, so nipping back to get a couple of cans of Coke is hardly a problem in my opinion. Of course its a free world and if people don't feel safe doing it? don't do it

As for having a serious crash? most if not all motorhomes would disintegrate in a serious crash. This is what our car looked like when we crashed (rolled it over) on a French motorway in France in August. Nearly three Ton of car, crashing at 55mph the airbags, side air curtains, crumple zones, seat belt automatic tensioning system, automatic headrest restraints all did there job and Lyn I and walked away completely unharmed Hardly any of these things of course are fitted onto motorhomes. Worse of the lot of course are A Class vans, where the original structure is cut away and replaced with board and fibreglass. I genuinely believe that had we been in a motorhome we would have died, irrespective of if we had been wearing seatbelts on or not

20180721_161650.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
So!!! we may as well enjoy numbers 5) and 6) in my original post
before the grim reaper claims us

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I do think people over think the risks.

You wrote a car off in August, and you think people overthink the risks?

Again, comparing cars and trains is not realistic. Both use professional drivers, and the number of accidents are quite rare on each. However, when there is an accident, the death and injury rate is often very high, principally because people are not restrained using seat belts.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Again, comparing cars and trains is not realistic. Both use professional drivers, and the number of accidents are quite rare on each. However, when there is an accident, the death and injury rate is often very high, principally because people are not restrained using seat belts.
Well as I said, if it worries you, don't do it :)

We have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles in motorhomes, we bought our first brand new van when we were 28 years old and had three small children, who have been washed, dressed, fed, entertained and slept en route.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

I know that there is a risk, but sometimes it's over played. I have done 150 MPH 30,000 times and here to tell the story. 35 years whizzing around motorcylce race tracks. Going for a pee is a tiny risk in comparison.

Just IMHO :)

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Not advocating strongly for either camp , but
1. what is actual chance you will be involved in an accident ?
2. majority occur within Built up areas
3. what is chance you will be involved in that accident for the few moments you are moving about in a motorhome ?

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
3. what is chance you will be involved in that accident for the few moments you are moving about in a motorhome ?

Zero if you have the common sense to pull over and stop somewhere safe.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I know that there is a risk, but sometimes it's over played. I have done 150 MPH 30,000 times and here to tell the story. 35 years whizzing around motorcylce race tracks. Going for a pee is a tiny risk in comparison.

Just IMHO :)

Just look at the motorcycle statistics on British roads. Tells a different story.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
You can make statistics say anything...

Statistics are statistics, its how people interpret them. However in this case they paint a very clear and obvious picture.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry @thebriars but I will take issue with you on the first two scenarios in my post.
1. Long haul airlines have been using dual flight crews for many years they even have their own sleeping facilities to facilitate this, BA have done it for decades.
2. When we went on a long coach tour to the Belgiun beer fest,(never again)there were two drivers that changed over at a conveinient time, as the first would have been over his hours allowance, and this enabled us to get to the festival in one trip with no stop over other than the ferry of course. I guess the same would happen if it was a group of sports fans attending a venue in Europe.

Interesting to read what others do and have done, I think that with a fair modicum of sense being employed,road conditions, route etc, risks for some "activities"on board can be very much reduced.
However I agree,as most do, that anything other than being "belted up"until the vehicle has come to a stop is illegal,I like you can think of so many common day behavioural scenarios that should also be illegal for H&S reasons, but they are not, maybe if they were this would be seen as over regulation, maybe create the usual excuse of insufficient funding for time and man power to enforce these laws.
Just be sensible would be my take on this, sadly thesedays rules and laws are put in place as so many people cannot be sensible, and need laws to govern them.
Les

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Statistics are statistics, its how people interpret them. However in this case they paint a very clear and obvious picture.
Er what picture? that your more likely to have a crash in a motorhome if you let some one get you a can of Coke?

I must have missed that statistic

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back