Can passengers move around when driving? (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Our motorhome has a fixed rear bed so the dining area has two seat rows facing, with the table in between. Three of the seats have proper seat belts so we can legally travel with driver, navigator, and 3 passengers in the rear.

Can they or the navigator vacate their seats to use the loo, get something from the kitchen etc, whilst I'm driving and the motorhome is moving?

Or does the law states everyone must stay sat and seatbelted until the vehicle pulls over and stops?

(I think I could guess the answer but thought it best to check.)

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Thank you, that's good to know.,......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Can they or the navigator vacate their seats to use the loo

This might be compliant.

loo-belts.jpg

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
It's good practice to drive over as many cats eye's as possible when they are on the loo ;)

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked this now, sigh..... :(

Are there any grown-ups online out there thank you please?

I am sure that there are some grown-ups online ... but they aren't here yet ;)

However, from if you want a serious answer, I believe that no, people cannot move around in a vehicle. Seat belts, if fitted, must be used. You can't use them if you are moving around.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
does the law states everyone must stay sat and seatbelted until the vehicle pulls over and stops?

I don't think it matters what the law says or doesn't say .. .. do you ?

common sense should dictate ..

in the event of an accident or sudden stop, a body flying through the air could hit you like an Exocet missile and probably kill both of you

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
In answer to your question a motorhome is classed as a private vehicle. As such, seatbelts, when fitted, must be worn at all times. There are a few exceptions (reversing, aiding learner drivers to reverse etc) but they do not include going for a toilet break ... nor getting s beer out for the driver :D.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Technically no here . I have done it but only for emergencies like the fridge door flying open . Our Motorhome club president was stopped and a fine issued when his wife got up to go to the back . Unlucky I guess to be seen !!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My opinion. NO.
It's technically a passenger car and passengers should be restrained at all times.
A bus/coach is not a passenger car therefore the same rules don't apply.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not sure if the definite answer but there won't be many in all honesty who's passenger does not use the loo when traveling, once we were going along a motorway and I got locked in the loo shouted Eddie only to be told what do you want me to do about it I'm driving lol,
I also know people to prepare meals when traveling the long toll roads abroad.
So sorry maybe not to serious answer but a honest one.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In coaches you are allowed to unbelt and use the loo, same in an aeroplane. So why not motorhomes. :D Never had an issue with it. But never allow anyone to get out of their seat without asking so I can judge road conditions, more likely to say no more than yes til I'm happy with no obvious obstructions, heavy traffic or old bill etc.

We did have a Funster who was stopped because a copper thought he saw someone walking around in the back of the van Thing was she was driving on her own, copper searched high and low for this mystery passenger. If she did have a belted passenger no way would he have believed that he wasn't walking around!!

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We did have a Funster who was stopped because a copper thought he saw someone walking around in the back of the van Thing was she was driving on her own, copper searched high and low for this mystery passenger. If she did have a belted passenger no way would he have believed that he wasn't walking around!!
Maybe the driver set the auto-pilot and went for a pee ?

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked this now, sigh..... :(

Are there any grown-ups online out there thank you please?
The law in any vehicle with seat belts is they should be used , surely you wouldn’t want children moving around when driving.

If you ask a question like that you must expect banter back.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
References to growing up on this thread, reminded me of when I was 37 & I introduced my Mum to my new girlfriend

My Mum looked at her, looked at me, looked back at her and in a very apologetic voice said: "of course we knew he would never grow up"

Mums know everything

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe the driver set the auto-pilot and went for a pee ?

Used to do that. Years ago before we had kids, me and Siân would be often be bombing down French auto-routes as fast as we could. No time to stop for food or comfort breaks. We had a broom handle cut to just the right size so it wedged between the accelerator and the dash and became an excellent cruise control. :Eeek: It was really easy to disengage with a kick and we used this feature when I needed to pee.At top speed, when it was in place, I could stand up crouched still holding the wheel and get my feet out of the footwell whilst Sian crouched down under me and sat on the seat and took over the wheel and the driving, I could then go back and take a pee, or a kip and we would reverse the procedure when i took back control. Dangerous... probably but we were always heading to skydive drop-zones and weren't too bothered :D

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We had a broom handle cut to just the right size so it wedged between the accelerator and the dash and became an excellent cruise control
Old Lada Riva & Niva's went better than that.. They had a hand throttle fitted at factory.
Just like an old type choke knob but connected to the throttle linkage.

Type approval would have a fit these days. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back