Can I dump BT? (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We currently have BT broadband at home, and travel with phones, tablets and a laptop - but no Mifi. Much of the time my iPhone works OK with a good data allowance which I can use as a virtual server and share the data with other devices. However, when we have no usable signal none of this is any use.

I’m happy to spend money on a good Mifi set up with external aerial, particularly if I can use the Mifi at home when not travelling. If I can dispense with my BT broadband I can redeploy £3-400 per year.

Does this sound like a workable solution, home and away? We probably use 30-50gb of data per month, but currently don’t stream big data files. We have a TV on board but, to date, have never switched it on :)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
EE part of Bt are pushing this idea with their offer of 100gb data sim for £18 to £20 per month. They wanted me to lose the land land in favour of this and the existing mobile phones we have.
I thought it was a step too far at present. But once we can get out in the MoHo a lot more I may take them up on it.and save at least £450 a year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, my current mobile contract is with EE so I may have some leverage. I’m just fearful of dumping a stable broadband service at home. I’m sure a Mifi solution in the van will be a benefit but I’m unsure of the potential downside at home.

I also wonder what will happen to mobile costs abroad from next year but I guess Midi won’t impact that.

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
I did away with my BT landline and broadband a couple years ago. Before doing so I checked the quality of mobile data from my provider whilst at home...it was ok and that is what I have used ever since. Obviously make sure the mobile contract provides enough data for your use. Rarely do I have a coverage problem in the UK and never on 4 European trips with roaming. I never play games on the internet nor stream films. (I'm on the 3 network) HTH

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We moved from BT to Virgin media , fortunately we are on cable so we are on a complete deal of 500mbs broadband, telephone, 3 TiVo boxes with films, children’s and Sky sports and the deal throws in an unlimited data mobile sim with no monthly charge.
It has worked out much cheaper than BT broadband and telephone plus Sky with sport .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Living in a residential area you would think you would get a great mobile signal but although we have a mast not too far away the mobile calls are pretty rubbish, we have a BT land line and broadband which is reliable and around 40mb. The mobile service around the country can be quite veritable in terms of quality plus how many users are trying to stream of a single mast?

BT will switch off it’s digital phone network in the next few years then all calls will be IP based, hopefully fibre to the home will also be in most homes. So for me I’m happy for land line broadband and a mobile sim for when I need it.

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, but I don’t have cable.

Current home-based download/upload speeds with broadband are 35/10 mb/s. Equivalent mobile speeds at home are 10/7. When shared across a couple of devices I’m not sure whether this would be noticeable. We have been happy enough when travelling provided my iPhone gets a decent signal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looking at doing the same at the monent spending just under £300 on land line and broadband plus another £50 on sims when we go away.

I think I can just get away with a 100gb sim as with Vodafone you can use the full amount roaming where as the unlimited you only get 25gb roaming.
Will get a proper 4G router for home as I need ethernet ports to connect to my network & server. Will take the sim when we go away and put a PAYG sim in the router so I can still get on my network when needed.

You can get the Vodafone 100gb sim for £12 a month from mobiles.co.uk.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We currently have BT broadband at home, and travel with phones, tablets and a laptop - but no Mifi. Much of the time my iPhone works OK with a good data allowance which I can use as a virtual server and share the data with other devices. However, when we have no usable signal none of this is any use.

I’m happy to spend money on a good Mifi set up with external aerial, particularly if I can use the Mifi at home when not travelling. If I can dispense with my BT broadband I can redeploy £3-400 per year.

Does this sound like a workable solution, home and away? We probably use 30-50gb of data per month, but currently don’t stream big data files. We have a TV on board but, to date, have never switched it on :)
I use Vodaphone 100 gb at home and abroad..No landline.BUSBY.

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, Lenny/Busby, that’s encouraging. What’s a “proper” 4G router?

I was looking at Netgear stuff which is much more expensive than the Huwawi you have in the van but seems to have mixed reviews?

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
We were just considering this a few months ago, however, some idiots decided to burn down the local phone mast and we couldn't use mobile for calls nevermind internet for about 5 -6 weeks while the mast was replaced so put us off, ended up keeping landline with broadband.
I know it's not a scenario that is likely to happen often, but we've found mobile data can still be a bit hit/miss in some areas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Only problem I have is with 100gb I will have to monitor usage very carefully. Over the last 16months we have averaged 96gb a month but no way of seeing monthly usage and some months have been virtually zero when we have been away so some must be some well over 100gb.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks, Lenny/Busby, that’s encouraging. What’s a “proper” 4G router?

I was looking at Netgear stuff which is much more expensive than the Huwawi you have in the van but seems to have mixed reviews?
I was looking at a TP link one about £120 can't remember the model, it will accept external aerials if needed.
A proper router compared to a mifi has ethernet ports so you can connect to a hard wired network.
Not a fan of Netgear these days I find the WiFi on them weak and prone to dropping out.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I pay BT through The Post Office - £17 a month for landline broadband.
That's £204 a year. I hate BT with a passion but there is still no alternative to their speed in my area.
I can't wait until there is an alternative and I can tell BT where to shove it.

Oh and don't miss cancelling before the end of a the years contract - if you do - it suddenly becomes £30 a month

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our mobiles are with Virgin Media and are normally fine for data at home and abroad.

But also have a mi-fi with a 3 SIM (pay as you go) as a backup ie on a different network. And has come in handy on occasion. (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have 100gb sim, a TP sim router and external aerials. Vodafone claim I should get between 2 and 49mb/s. In three successive tests, I get between 0 and 10mb/s download.

I would buy a sim and a router and test it in parallel to your normal set up for 13 days and cancel within 14 days if it isn't good enough.

Don't forget that your usage might be dwarfed by any visitors to your house...teenagers can easily get through 100gb per month each.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks, my current mobile contract is with EE so I may have some leverage. I’m just fearful of dumping a stable broadband service at home. I’m sure a Mifi solution in the van will be a benefit but I’m unsure of the potential downside at home.

I also wonder what will happen to mobile costs abroad from next year but I guess Midi won’t impact that.
We have EE mifi at our static I used too put 20gb on (23 as they gave me the extra for being a good customer) however one month I did it three times, we were there a lot and so was my son and family, granddaughter decided to use tick tok a lot and it gobbled up the data.
I found I could get100gb a month on contract for £19 with £4 off for being a good customer, so only £15,when I spoke to someone from EE I ended up with 200gb for £23 with the £4 off it’s only costing me £19.
A lot cheaper than I have been paying, I have a tplink which takes the data card and a booster Ariel which strengthens the signal inside, seems to be working really well. Not told son so hopefully granddaughter won’t get carried away, only averaged 20 gb a month since I changed, still cheaper though.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I pay BT through The Post Office - £17 a month for landline broadband.
That's £204 a year. I hate BT with a passion but there is still no alternative to their speed in my area.
I can't wait until there is an alternative and I can tell BT where to shove it.

Oh and don't miss cancelling before the end of a the years contract - if you do - it suddenly becomes £30 a month
Not sure why anyone can hate an inanimate object Other providers are just as bad or worse and most use the BT network or connect to it. for every one who says my provider is great or better you can always find others moaning.

I think one of the issues is that’s it’s seen as expensive yet when you look at the technology it’s pretty amazing we all keep expecting more yet want to pay less. Once upon a time there was universal service provision if the same was to happen today there would be a roll out of fibre and instead of profits being paid to share holders and big pay to the executives that money would pay for the upgrade for the nations fibre network.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Not sure why anyone can hate an inanimate object Other providers are just as bad or worse and most use the BT network or connect to it. for every one who says my provider is great or better you can always find others moaning.

I think one of the issues is that’s it’s seen as expensive yet when you look at the technology it’s pretty amazing we all keep expecting more yet want to pay less. Once upon a time there was universal service provision if the same was to happen today there would be a roll out of fibre and instead of profits being paid to share holders and big pay to the executives that money would pay for the upgrade for the nations fibre network.
I can understand hating Bt, for a comms. company they make it extremely difficult to speak to a person and that can be frustrating.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I can understand hating Bt, for a comms. company they make it extremely difficult to speak to a person and that can be frustrating.
If you phone 0800 800 150, and choose the "moving home" option, you get through to a UK operative every time, who can deal with your query.........................even if not moving home. ;)

I have often thought of ditching BT in favour of a cellular service, but I need a reliable connection for home security devices whilst away, as well as a decent mobile signal when touring, hence the Vodafone 100Gb sim card.
I don't normally struggle to get a good connection, but I did in Germany in September, (only 2G everywhere), and after a 2 x hour online conversation using another Funster's connection, service was eventually restored to 4G.................but not for long. :(
It failed again in France, so on return to the UK, the Canterbury Vodafone Branch assistant advised that the sim card was faulty. Since changing the sim card over, I've not had the problem return. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you phone 0800 800 150, and choose the "moving home" option, you get through to a UK operative every time, who can deal with your query.........................even if not moving home. ;)

I have often thought of ditching BT in favour of a cellular service, but I need a reliable connection for home security devices whilst away, as well as a decent mobile signal when touring, hence the Vodafone 100Gb sim card.
I don't normally struggle to get a good connection, but I did in Germany in September, (only 2G everywhere), and after a 2 x hour online conversation using another Funster's connection, service was eventually restored to 4G.................but not for long. :(
It failed again in France, so on return to the UK, the Canterbury Vodafone Branch assistant advised that the sim card was faulty. Since changing the sim card over, I've not had the problem return. (y)

Cheers,

That exactly makes my point, you should not have to use subdefuge (spelling?) to be able to speak to a person, but hey oh that’s BT for you. Not so long ago that they were still using Indian call centres with questionable English.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Living in a very rural hilly area mobile coverage can be patchy, 3 is none existent. Had a haggle with BT earlier in year £27.99 per month unlimited broadband, telephone receives calls at no cost but making calls is on a pay as you go rate. We both have phones on O2 on a very cheap monthly contract and this provider has the best coverage in our area.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
We moved from BT to Virgin media , fortunately we are on cable so we are on a complete deal of 500mbs broadband, telephone, 3 TiVo boxes with films, children’s and Sky sports and the deal throws in an unlimited data mobile sim with no monthly charge.
It has worked out much cheaper than BT broadband and telephone plus Sky with sport .
Jesus that must cost a pretty sum.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We're out in a little village where, depending on where you are in the village, you may end up right at the very end of the landline line. That's us. No way could we stream anything using landline based broadband. So a few years ago we ditched the landline and went down the mobile data route. Luckily, we have line of sight across fields of the local mobile mast. So on 3 we get about 30 Mbps and on EE nearer 60 Mbps. We are heavy data users, particularly this year with working from home more, so at the moment using 3 as it's cheaper but we are looking at swapping out to EE as it is much more stable, though more expensive.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We're out in a little village where, depending on where you are in the village, you may end up right at the very end of the landline line. That's us. No way could we stream anything using landline based broadband. So a few years ago we ditched the landline and went down the mobile data route. Luckily, we have line of sight across fields of the local mobile mast. So on 3 we get about 30 Mbps and on EE nearer 60 Mbps. We are heavy data users, particularly this year with working from home more, so at the moment using 3 as it's cheaper but we are looking at swapping out to EE as it is much more stable, though more expensive.
That is an issue for many, it may change if they ever get fibre out to the remote places then it will be like a transformation and totally get why people do change out to mobile if you cant get a decent broadband speed. EE is BT, its a weird world once it was 02 then they sold it because the needed the money after the government robbed suppliers for the 3G fee, then BT went down the Voda route then acquired EE you cant make it up!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
As an aside, our Parish Council did approach Openreach to see about getting fibre into the village. After many months of deliberation, the answer was yes, but they would need a certain number of households to want it and even then there would be a cost per household of around £1000. We got the Parish Council to ask them to confirm if this was for fibre to the door at that price. Answer - no, fibre to a new box in the village, then the rest of it on the existing antiquated lines. No thanks. Most of us on the south side of the village with clear line of sight of the local mobile mast now use mobile data.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Cheers,

I have the halo service when my Broadband was having issues BT gave me a BT wifi router the next day which whist worked and whilst was slower than my broadband. However, the following week I was out in the MoHo and used it for mobile WiFi so effectively I took my BT broadband with me out on the road and when I got home the broadband had been fixed so I am not upset over the way I was treated and with BT having brought the customer desks back to the UK they are much easier to deal with.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back