Camping and caravanning club - charge per person? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Just having a look to book up somewhere for after easter, initially prices look reasonable, but they are for 1 person, for 2 it is double!

Why double, we still only use 1 pitch?

I can understand if they charge per pitch then per person on top, but this makes no sense at all, I think in future we will just make 2 separate bookings and take 2 pitches!

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Both the ccc and CAMC charge per person. They both show minimum charges which are for one person. Usual marketing ploy. People who camp solo correctly says this makes the pitches much cheaper than some other sites which charge per pitch including a certain number of people. I am not sure the price doubles with an extra person, however.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
It's not double.

I have just done a test and for Cambridge its £22.60 for one person and £35.90 for 2 people.

Seems fair. An amount for the pitch and an amount for each person. Having 2 pitches would not save you money. it would cost £45.20!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
At one stage I travelled solo and now as a couple. I continue to think it is fair to include a per person charge on top of the pitch charge. Greater use of showers, toilets, chemical disposal (often not mains drainage), water etc. Travelling solo is more expensive, no one to share the fuel and parking costs for a start, so recognition that one person uses the facilities less than a couple is very welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just having a look to book up somewhere for after easter, initially prices look reasonable, but they are for 1 person, for 2 it is double!

I can understand if they charge per pitch then per person on top, but this makes no sense at all, I think in future we will just make 2 separate bookings and take 2 pitches!
It would NOT cost you double!

It would with the C&MH Club because, with only a few exceptions which they are now trialling, Standard fee is for 2people + EHU.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
It would NOT cost you double!

It would with the C&MH Club because, with only a few exceptions which they are now trialling, Standard fee is for 2people + EHU.

Not heard this.. I just did 3 random bookings and they are all definitely still per person. Was I just lucky to find 3 exceptions?

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
As a solo traveller I am fine with that charging model. Two people are likely to use more water, take more showers, leave more rubbish. The pitch fee has to allow for all those things - it is not just the patch of real estate you are parked on.

I left CCC a few years ago because I had got fed up with some of their sites being less than satisfactory but with the way the Caravan Club are treating 'members' these days I might just have a look at rejoining.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Not heard this.. I just did 3 random bookings and they are all definitely still per person. Was I just lucky to find 3 exceptions?
Was this CCC, C&MH or Independent sites?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think the sooner we incorporate the European method of charging for sites the more transparent the charges for all will be. I am not going to make myself very popular I know by suggesting the following, but if we accept it over there, why not over here? then maybe pitch fees overall would be a nearer match.:unsure:
I am fed up being charged for an EHU that I don't want or use, that in too many cases is included in the pitch fees, thats one reason why we haven't used a CMC or CCC site in the last 5 years, only indie ones. (I know a few sites offer non ehu pitches nowadays, but not enough)
Fairer Charged sites to include:
1. Metered Electric.
2. Tokens for timed showers or use of shower blocks in general as they need to be heated & cleaned, and that isn't cheap.
3. Pitch fee variable depending on size, type Hard or Soft, plus on pitch facilities water, grey waste, ehu + per person
4. Charge for dogs (double for the Barky, Snappy ones):imoutahere:

Its obvious why we Motor Homers sometimes prefer CL's/CS's that offer no facilities other than Water, Black waste dump, as many are self sufficient therefore, marginal costs to site owner, savings passed onto user.(y)
LES

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think the sooner we incorporate the European method of charging for sites the more transparent the charges for all will be. I am not going to make myself very popular I know by suggesting the following, but if we accept it over there, why not over here? then maybe pitch fees overall would be a nearer match.:unsure:
I am fed up being charged for an EHU that I don't want or use, that in too many cases is included in the pitch fees, thats one reason why we haven't used a CMC or CCC site in the last 5 years, only indie ones. (I know a few sites offer non ehu pitches nowadays, but not enough)
Fairer Charged sites to include:
1. Metered Electric.
2. Tokens for timed showers or use of shower blocks in general as they need to be heated & cleaned, and that isn't cheap.
3. Pitch fee variable depending on size, type Hard or Soft, plus on pitch facilities water, grey waste, ehu + per person
4. Charge for dogs (double for the Barky, Snappy ones):imoutahere:

Its obvious why we Motor Homers sometimes prefer CL's/CS's that offer no facilities other than Water, Black waste dump, as many are self sufficient therefore, marginal costs to site owner, savings passed onto user.(y)
LES
You have never been charged for EHU on a CCC site if you didn't want it? 🤔

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
It makes even less sense for people who use their onboard facilities even on a site.
Yes, however it has been said a million times these clubs/sites are not for these people, its not the clubs target audience, you need to get over it and look elsewhere

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
It makes even less sense for people who use their onboard facilities even on a site.
Why, you will still fill up, empty( black and grey) refill before you leave and use the electric to heat your water and run your appliances so there's very little saving for the site by you using your shower.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Very true, mind you the only CCC sites we have used are the Camping in The Forrest Sites where on some EHU is not an option.
However despite asking for a non EHU pitch at The Cheddar CMC site, with the site agent nodding in agreement, I later discovered that we were charged, as there was only one take it or leave it pitch price.:mad:
We left the next day, and subsequently left The CMC as we then discovered that there was only 11 sites across the UK that offered non EHU Pitches at that time, despite them advising all of us in the monthly mag that we could save money by booking a non EHU pitch which sounded great until you tried to do that.
LES

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Welcome to my world I've always had to pay single supplements at hotels / holidays

I get a small discount on council tax that is nowhere near the facilities that a family/couple uses

1 van 1 plot. The van cannot get there without 1 driver

I have the same outgoings as any other home owner on one wage

Stop whinging and pay :rofl: :rofl: :wink:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Yes, however it has been said a million times these clubs/sites are not for these people, its not the clubs target audience, you need to get over it and look elsewhere

My comment was about being charged for an extra person(s) and I was commenting in support of members in general.

There is nothing for us 'to get over' as you acerbically put it, as we have not been to UK for 6 years and have not been members of either club for 13 years.

Why, you will still fill up, empty( black and grey) refill before you leave and use the electric to heat your water and run your appliances so there's very little saving for the site by you using your shower.

Even if we were to go to a site for a night we would probably arrive with full water, maybe empty cassette, but we never use EHU and have no 240v appliances, nor can we heat water with electricity.

Therefore I think your comments do not apply to us nor similar users.

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Just checked again, at random, Norwich site next Tuesday, £13 for one person-bargain? £26 for two, this is for grass, non electric, possibly less than double eith electric, hard standing etc?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Very true, mind you the only CCC sites we have used are the Camping in The Forrest Sites where on some EHU is not an option.
However despite asking for a non EHU pitch at The Cheddar CMC site, with the site agent nodding in agreement, I later discovered that we were charged, as there was only one take it or leave it pitch price.:mad:
We left the next day, and subsequently left The CMC as we then discovered that there was only 11 sites across the UK that offered non EHU Pitches at that time, despite them advising all of us in the monthly mag that we could save money by booking a non EHU pitch which sounded great until you tried to do that.
LES

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We left the next day, and subsequently left The CMC as we then discovered that there was only 11 sites across the UK that offered non EHU Pitches at that time, despite them advising all of us in the monthly mag that we could save money by booking a non EHU pitch which sounded great until you tried to do th at.
LES
Camping in the Forest sites were only managed by CCC for a few years, they no longer do so.

As I stated earlier, CMC always had the policy you mention and, I would have thought that if you were a member, you would have known that?

I was surprised you mentioned the 11 sites as, although I'm a member, I didn't think they supplied this facility until this year?
Interesting! 🤔

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Interested in this reply, because paying for leccy when not wanted is also my biggest gripe,
May I ask how you achieve this, checked a couple of sites on website and the only pitchs listed to book without leccy are grass pitches..
Do you have to phone site to get hardstanding and not pay electric..
Genuinely interested how to go about it?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Tell me about it, taking our grandkids away is now a 5 adult price, big change from the up to 4 children included of years ago and some sites.
I often felt i should borrow some kids just to get my moneys worth.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There's nothing in the Camping and Caravan Club name about motorhomes so no wonder they have tied themselves in knots with charging and facilities The CMC are a shower of s... tuff and have tied themselves in an even bigger knot

I'm sorry, I have been with the CCC for over 25yrs and, although I might be more intelligent than I think I am, I have rarely experienced any problems with their 'charging & facilities'.

What are these problems? 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back