LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Have you overwintered there before? Whatā€™s the weather normally like?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Its a bit further north than the more popular Winter sites and I am looking to book for early March after leaving Alicante Imperium.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We were in Playa Tropicana šŸ˜Ž when C19 struck, and required to leave..
I was in spain two lockdowns, we was not thrown out ,if the campsite had appropriate licence and your vehicle had sanitary, water etc no issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I was in spain two lockdowns, we was not thrown out ,if the campsite had appropriate licence and your vehicle had sanitary, water etc no issues.
You were fortunate, we left two days before they closed the site. The rest of the CCC winter sun lot were ejected and had to make a convoy back to the TML.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We have spent winters down that way, sometimes further south, but often in the Peniscola area. The weather is very mild usually and pleasant to cycle and sit outside soaking up the rays. You get some rain, but not as much as the Algave which really catches the wind and rain.

My favourite is Sicily, but it's a long drive, and Marocco is far more reliable heatwise but no TV or radio and sometimes the 4G is dodgy.

I'm only going for 60 days this coming year as I'm planning a 90 day USA tour in the fall.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
You were fortunate, we left two days before they closed the site. The rest of the CCC winter sun lot were ejected and had to make a convoy back to the TML.
No.i was with the "winter sun lot" no issues

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
No.i was with the "winter sun lot" no issues
I don't think it was a case of who you booked with, the local authorities closed the site. I was booked via the camping and caravan club "winter sun lot", but they like most of the world, hadn't a clue what was happening, we lacked your insights.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I don't think it was a case of who you booked with, the local authorities closed the site. I was booked via the camping and caravan club "winter sun lot", but they like most of the world, hadn't a clue what was happening, we lacked your insights.
Like i said depended on the site license restrictions ,No insight stayed with CCC until my booking ended then steady ride home through France CCC changed my booking to accommodate. My only insight was i didnt panic .

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Like i said depended on the site license restrictions ,No insight stayed with CCC until my booking ended then steady ride home through France CCC changed my booking to accommodate. My only insight was i didnt panic .
I didn't panic either just slipped away back to my French home. :cool:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We stayed from about 5th Jan to late Feb in both 2018/19 and 2019/20 [Nov & Dec spent at Moncofa, about 70 miles south]. Daytime temps around 21 or 22 degrees and warm enough to sit out and sunbathe until late afternoon. Night time temperatures are quite cold and the wind is very strong, needing a storm strap over the awning; the first year was in Gobby, the Gobur Folding Caravan, and being inside when the wall flexed enough for me to put my hand between the wall and the ceiling 'shoebox lid' was not a pleasant experience. We had paid for the large serviced pitch, but moved from the original to the opposite side to enable us to shelter in the lee of the static caravans!

Nice site, very helpful staff, good mix of nationalities of holidaymakers, and a pleasant setting. There is also a very good mobile Motorhome Engineer within 1.5 mile walk [saves call out charge!], Tambo Motorhomes on the main road towards Peniscola!

Winter storms can be bad, the late Jan 2020 batch dumped the beach onto the road [about 18 inches deep] and closed it for several days. The Pharmacist said it was the worst storms for more than 30 years!

Steve & Elaine

Deleted User

Which sites were you on?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My only insight was i didnt panic .
Many sites said " there is the gate ,shut it behind you " when told to close by the police. Regardless of whether you had a continuing booking.Just turfed out. Other sites in other regions didn't . Just depended where you were.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Just booked 1st January 2022 - 7 February 2022 it will be retun to wintering in Spain having been thrown out two years ago.
We are here now šŸ˜Š a British run site each pitch is separated by hedges
Not sure it will be suitable for winter as not many pitches get the sun here now.Maybe the leaves will fall off the trees.Mosquitoes are a real problem even in the daytime. But probably not a problem In January.Cycling is great straight from the campsite all along the beach to peniscola.Enjoy šŸ˜Š

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Some areas were closed down.Bonterra Park were ordered to close in 2020 and campers had 48 hours to leave..BUSBY.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure it will be suitable for winter as not many pitches get the sun here now.Maybe the leaves will fall off the trees.Mosquitoes are a real problem even in the daytime. But probably not a problem In January.Cycling is great straight from the campsite all along the beach to peniscola.Enjoy šŸ˜Š
Booked a pitch there for February 28 for a week as we head back home, if you have some spare time would you mind pulling a few leaves off just in case they donā€™t fall off.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
They pollard all the trees in late October I think, so no branches never mind leaves. So whatever sunshine there is you get.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Some areas were closed down.Bonterra Park were ordered to close in 2020 and campers had 48 hours to leave..BUSBY.
Busby i love Bonterra my point is simple those with out the appropriate licence had to shut and there lies the issue most sites adhered to the licence others traded for years as 365 /24/7 did not have licence then forced to close simples ! Jenka šŸ‘

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Booked a pitch there for February 28 for a week as we head back home, if you have some spare time would you mind pulling a few leaves off just in case they donā€™t fall off.
Photo of our sheltered pitch that we moved to after the windstorms of the previous days. Not good in a Folding Caravan! The sheltering mobile homes are at the back of the pitch, and you can see the pollarded trees around the boundary hedges.

IMG_20190121_143639 (1).jpg

If you need a motorhome engineer, Tambo [Ramon in Spanish] is very good and very reasonably priced. It's about 1.5 mile walk or cycle from the site, aim for Hotel Rosales [Very Tall Yellow Building] and Autocaravanas Tambo is almost directly opposite [the signpost is only about 4 feet tall on the rh side of the pavement as you head towards Peniscola] and he operates from a workshop underneath his house on a small side street, so easy to miss! His address is Avenida de Papa Luna, 402, 12580 Benicarlo [www.caravaningbenicarlo.com] Tel: 964 475 046 or mobile 647 742 053. Reception used to hold a stock of his business cards, and they are used to him visiting the site to carry out repairs etc

Steve

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Yes Steve, Tambo came to our rescue, when the Benimar factory refused to help us with a drop down bed problem, although under warranty. It had come out from one of its guides in the down position, so couldnā€™t raise it.
Without his help, we would have had to terminate our holiday. Job done under warranty, which the factory said didnā€™t apply outside the UK. Tambo was our man, not the factory, who didnā€™t give a damn.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yes Steve, Tambo came to our rescue, when the Benimar factory refused to help us with a drop down bed problem, although under warranty. It had come out from one of its guides in the down position, so couldnā€™t raise it.
Without his help, we would have had to terminate our holiday. Job done under warranty, which the factory said didnā€™t apply outside the UK. Tambo was our man, not the factory, who didnā€™t give a damn.
He's quite a character! We had a problem with a duff fridge 12v [Gobur Folding Caravan], and then water pump. He was stowed out with work, including elderly French couple with Motorhome where all electrics had failed. I had walked to his workshop with the pump, so he did a quick bucket test to confirm pump was deceased, gave a quick demo on how to swap the pump innards and terminals around and tole me to visit again tomorrow if I didn't fix it! He said easy 1/2 hour, my ineptitude said nearly 6 hours, finishing just before midnight, but I am the master of the 5 minute job ... :rolleyes:

Steve

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Just left there today and they were pruning the trees right back, if there is any sun you will get it. Not bothered by mosquitoes but the flies can be a pain when the sun comes out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back