Cambelt Change - Warning Light On (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Just had cambelt changed on our Fiat a few days ago. When we picked it up noticed different engine note on starting - this seems to be there now on starting when cold - you get to know the sound of your engine and just sounds louder/different to pre belt change.
Went down a steep gradient today using engine braking - Got a message 'Check Engine' and an amber warning light - On looking in handbook says its the injection system warning light = Take to your fiat dealers.
Obviously we will go back to the garage - But any thoughts as to why this would happen?
Cant take it back till next week as the mechanic is away till then, so just seeing if anyone has any ideas in the meantime?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that message is a general warning could be a number of things. without plugging in to the system to get a code its almost impossible to know you are correct in your assumptions.

when he looks at it ask him what the code / codes are... you can then look them up so you know if it relevant to the cambelt change or not..

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
10 times out of 10 I have taken my current Fiat MH and my previous Peugeot MH into a dealership due to the amber warning light showing.
10 times out of 10 they have been unable to identify the issue.
10 times out of 10 I have had to pay c £80 for the priviledge.

Scam! Yet one where we poor sods who are not mechanically inclined dare not ignore.
Yep, the perfect scam!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SteveandSue
Feb 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Thanks very much for the replies
I thought about being one tooth out = but wouldn't this cause serious mayhem! but possibly - they struggled to identify exact engine model as not on DVSA data base = possibly as converters hadnt registered it - so maybe very slight difference in the new belt ?
With regards to computer codes we had a works vehicle Peugot diesel - intermittent smoke problem and loss of power - 2 garages - several error codes later - and very big bills - no fix found - A small back street type garage diagnosed the problem correctly without a computer. I dont have a lot of faith in error codes
We did get the engine serviced at same time - but cant think of any likely cause there? - also got an extra/additional earth cable strap fitted as original are known to corode and cause problems - again cant think of any cause there -
Cambelt seems most likely cause -

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We had similar issues on a peugeot 2.0 td engine. Codes indicated fuel pressure problem. In the fuel injection pump driven by cambelt are 3 pistons to raise the fuel pressure. On the overun, downhill engine braking, there is a solenoid to stop the 3rd piston working. This is electrically operated by the ecu. It is removed from rear of high pressure pump by 2 bolts. A service kit, ish a fiver, contains replacement 0 ring and plastic washer. The original 0 ring goes hard, stopping the solenoid from operating. If plug is removed from solenoid we had a fault lamp, otherwise it just came up on downhill engine braking. Did it twice, once at 50 k and again at 110k miles.
Ofcourse it maybe nothing like my fault........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SteveandSue
Feb 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Thanks SandraL
Thats definitely a possibility to discuss with the garage - I am linking it straight to the Cambelt as it has just been renewed - but could be just a coincidence? Appreciate your reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back